Thread: 5 second rule

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Sacry, stop spreading false info:

Yes, the 5-Second Rule is removed. Regen is not "100% all the time" now. As of 4.0, you will generate 100% outside of combat. The second you enter combat, that drops to ZERO unless you are a Discipline or Holy Priest (who gain Meditation as a Passive).

I think that's safe to say 5SR is an outdated mechanic, as well as Meditation doesn't "loose it's meaning"
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sacrypheyes View Post
    just in case you didn't know :
    no more 5s rule = 100% mana regen at all time...
    in other words, meditation looses its meaning

you'd better go back studying your wikis as there never was any "in combat" regen mechanic. casters have 100% mana regen untill they cast a spell which cost them mana (which is why inner focus and clearcasting effects were and still are more less valuable).
    in vanilla at first, i believe mana regen was stopped from the moment you began casting a spell and was stopped for 5s after the spell was cast if the spell cast time was less than 5s (ie no regen while rezzing someone without meditation). then it's been changed soon after to only stop for 5s after a spell (with mana cost > 0) was cast.
    Wrong. Mana regen does go up when you are out of combat but that was a recent change during Wrath. Prior to that there was the FSR which was that your full mana regen kicked in 5 seconds after you stopped casting a spell (mana free spell cast or mana cost spell). They removed the FSR during Wrath and that's when the "in combat" lower mana regen was implimented. Your character sheet says "while casting" which is true in the sense that your regen while casting in combat as a dmg caster or healer is exactly that regen while your out of combat mana regen is the higher number. This change happened during Wrath when the FSR was nerfed into the ground. Meditation went from being a 80% or 100% (can't remember which one it was but I'm sure if I did a little internet work for old talent trees I could find out exactly what number it was) mana regen while casting to a 50% while casting with the base regen getting buffed.

The five second rule does not apply to me, I eat food that fell on the floor even after 10 seconds!!!!!!!

lol so wrong gaymer. Meditation went from being 30% to 50%, and base spirit regen was nerfed, not buffed, leaving casting regen similar/same, and lowering regen outside 5sr. The 5sr is still around, but with regen outside of it nerfed there's little reason to bother, and will prob be removed with 4.0 for in combat regen, and ooc regen.

From wowwiki
    Patch 3.1.0 (2009-04-14): Have changed location with Improved Power Word: Shield. Now grants 17/33/50% of mana regeneration while casting.

Patch 2.3.0 (2007-11-13): Increased to 10/20/30% mana regeneration. Was 5/10/15%
    Last edited by openair; 2010-07-21 at 10:08 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Blakkeyez View Post
    One word: don't be silly.
    That is 3 words :|

forgot about that 3.1 oo5s nerf indeed

-they nerfed the oo5s mana regen which was originally 100%
    -they "buffed" the meditation-like talents so that i5s mana regen stays about the same (went from 33% to 50%)

ok that'd mean :
    say x1 = pre 3.1 oo5s mana regen and x2 = post 3.1 oo5s regen

x1 * 33% = x2 * 50%
    x2 = x1 * 33%/50% = x1 * 66% = 34% oo5s mana regen nerf

my bad about the in combat stuff, i admit.
    still, that does'nt change to me the main point which is :
    no 5s rule = meditation obsolete (unless someone tells me what actually happens about it)

and instead of 100% i stated before that may be 66% of mana regen at all times - in combat ok got it.
    unless meditation is tweaked to increase mana regen to 100% again... which i highly doubt

sigh sacry your math makes very little sense, and has almost nothing to do with the changes that were actually made. Regen from int and spi were nerfed (100int and 100 spi ='s less mp5 then b4 3.1 regardless of ANY OTHER FACTORS). The mechanics of the 5sr itself were not changed in 3.1 what so ever. Atm we have regen while casting (0%, or 50% with talents), and regen while not casting (oo5sr, 100%). In cata we will have regen in combat (0%, or 50% with 'masteries') and regen out of combat (100%). Instead of just stopping casts for 5 seconds to regain 100% mana regen, you will have to drop combat. Same deal as being able to eat/drink (100% regen) and not being able to eat/drink (0%, 50% with masteries).
    Last edited by openair; 2010-07-21 at 11:20 PM.

no 5s rule = meditation obsolete (unless someone tells me what actually happens about it)
    Seriously, what are you talking about?

Without Meditation, you'll have absolutely no mana regen while in combat.
    With Meditation, you will have mana regen in combat.

How is that "obsolete" ?

Meditation (The amount of mana you regenerate in combat as a function of your Spirit)
    k, misread that one in class preview, thought they were giving current meditation 3/3 as base passive for disc/holy specs, thus the confusion.

Openair is right.

But I think I will still keep that ZA staff with 3x16spi gems in it and the earring... oh the good times when you had an excuse for standing around doing nothing, lol

Ehhm... I was only regenerating my mana... cough

Quote Originally Posted by sacrypheyes View Post
    k, misread that one in class preview, thought they were giving current meditation 3/3 as base passive for disc/holy specs, thus the confusion.
    They ARE giving Meditation as base passive to disc and holy (and every other healer) ...