Thread: 5 second rule

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account

5 second rule

i looked and asked around, but cant seem to find an addon that would help me with this.

is there some kind of way to track the 5sr ? other than counting it in ur head ?

thnx in advance.

Why do you need it anyway?

10+ Year Old Account
    Start out by not eating at your keyboard? Or atleast holding better on to your food?
    Sometimes I will log out in Roleplaying gear, so if my stats in the image below, seem ridicoulously low, then that's probably the reason.
    Quote Originally Posted by Martyn 470 View Post
    this banhammers gonna hit harder than puberty will hit justin bieber

Cheating the five second rule hasn't been a valid way to play since.. well.. Naxx. Why would you need an addon to do this?

You can set X-Perl to show it in your mana bar, at least.

There used to be addons that tracked how much time you spent inside the FSR. However after the last years patches with major nerfs to out of combat regen it's nothing we worry about anymore. We get our mana mostly from intellect and replenishment.

Quote Originally Posted by Ammikaameri View Post
    One word, Cataclysm?
    One word: don't be silly. There's no comparing today's time spent in the FSR to what we will do in future raids anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Ammikaameri View Post
    One word, Cataclysm?
    I heard it got removed in Cata.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    im a lvl 21 holy priest ...still new to healing with a priest and mana is an issue in lower content so cheating 5sr is kindof important or atleast helpfull to an extent .

thanks about the unitframes advice ill see to it, altho i dont like using unit frames that much ;(

Quote Originally Posted by kronpas View Post
    This

And Opath, just buy some manafood and shield before(or even a renew with it if needed) pull and drink, its alot more easier to do in my opinion=P. Your spirit probly isn't that high anyway.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    i know it isnt that big of a deal, but id rather learn to heal properly while lvling up than during heroics like most other priests :P, ive been told that u need to watch ur 5sr during low gear lvls @ 80 so this might be a good idea to practise it early on . thanks for all the replies tho guys

p.s. ive been a holy paladin for 5 years now, ive never even had more than 100 spriti untill wotlk :P so this is all new to me

Quote Originally Posted by opath View Post
    im a lvl 21 holy priest ...still new to healing with a priest and mana is an issue in lower content so cheating 5sr is kindof important or atleast helpfull to an extent .

thanks about the unitframes advice ill see to it, altho i dont like using unit frames that much ;(
    Respec disc and you won't have to worry about mana as much in 5 mans.
    [23:43:22] [P] [85:Bowsjob]: If its between 2 holy pallys its gonna be a gear fight most likely

im a lvl 21 holy priest ...still new to healing with a priest and mana is an issue in lower content so cheating 5sr is kindof important(
    Dont worry about that. Make sure you pick up some cloth with intellect and spellpower on it and you will be fine. There is not that much gear with haste and/or crit on it at earler levels so no need to think about those stats until much later (as in when you are doing late dungeons and raids at level 70+ really). If you find gear that have spirit or mp5 on it by all means use it. Spirit is preferred once you get talents like Meditation and Spiritual Guidance but no matter what at your level you will be perfectly fine with any of them as long as you have a decent chunk of intellect (this is because fights are so short that you get to drink to restore mana inbetween and need less in combat regen anyway). You will likely find new gear soon enough to not linger on choosing the exact right amont of spirit vs mp5 anyway.

read up on those stats later on but don't worry too much on your way to Northrend. Good luck with your levelling.

i know it isnt that big of a deal, but id rather learn to heal properly while lvling up than during heroics like most other priests :P, ive been told that u need to watch ur 5sr during low gear lvls @ 80 so this might be a good idea to practise it early on . thanks for all the replies tho guys

p.s. ive been a holy paladin for 5 years now, ive never even had more than 100 spriti untill wotlk :P so this is all new to me
    Your friends advice was well meant, but obsolete. Since the huge nerf to spirit based regen back with patch 3.1 or so, fsr surfing is no longer part of the priest play style and "proper healing" . Sometimes I miss the "good old days" of downranking and GHeal stop-casting, but we're living in the now and those mechanics are no longer useful. Not only is it not efficient enough to be worth the effort, content is now designed around almost constantly mashing heals so trying to force it will feel akward and make your job more difficult then it is meant to be.

At low levels you will drink a LOT, and while I leveled I kept 5 points in spirit tap and snipped KBs with SWeath to get the proc. For the first while on the heroic grind it is very helpful to spec Disc. If your end goal is to be holy, pick gear and gem/chant for holy, but just speccing disc will greatly ease your mana issues until you gear up some.

Good Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Alkah0liek View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kronpas View Post
    This

And Opath, just buy some manafood and shield before(or even a renew with it if needed) pull and drink, its alot more easier to do in my opinion=P. Your spirit probly isn't that high anyway.
    guess i wasn't dreaming when i saw that one. but then i thought, what about meditation then? no 5s rule = meditation obsolete

The 5 second rule was much more relevant prior to WotLK when healing priests were all holy and when tank healing, would cast/cancel Greater Heal, only allowing one to actually complete when it was going to do effective healing. Right now it's difficult to think of any raid healing scenarios where your cast style would reflect consciously thinking about the 5 second rule much.

Quote Originally Posted by sacrypheyes View Post
    guess i wasn't dreaming when i saw that one. but then i thought, what about meditation then? no 5s rule = meditation obsolete
    No, instead of while casting regen, and non-casting regen, in cata it will be in combat, or ooc.

15+ Year Old Account
    Meditation will still give you spirit based mana regen while in combat. Without that, you will have ZERO mp5 while casting unless you stack the stat & that's why both disc and holy will be getting that as their mastery.

Not sure why your holy pally didn't have a good amount of spirit pre-BC as they still used that as a mana regen stat for healing eventhough they have never had any talents that gave them any sort of mana regen based off spirit. I can't tell you how many mooncloth pieces I made for pallies back when I was playing my NE druid or saw pallies that had spirit cloth on for that mana regen because of how healing was handled pre-BC with healing rotations (group 7 you heal now & group 8 you regen your mana and don't heal kinda things)

Quote Originally Posted by gaymer77 View Post
    Meditation will still give you spirit based mana regen while in combat. Without that, you will have ZERO mp5 while casting unless you stack the stat & that's why both disc and holy will be getting that as their mastery.
    just in case you didn't know :
    no more 5s rule = 100% mana regen at all time...
    in other words, meditation looses its meaning

you'd better go back studying your wikis as there never was any "in combat" regen mechanic. casters have 100% mana regen untill they cast a spell which cost them mana (which is why inner focus and clearcasting effects were and still are more less valuable).
    in vanilla at first, i believe mana regen was stopped from the moment you began casting a spell and was stopped for 5s after the spell was cast if the spell cast time was less than 5s (ie no regen while rezzing someone without meditation). then it's been changed soon after to only stop for 5s after a spell (with mana cost > 0) was cast.

just in case you didn't know :
    no more 5s rule = 100% mana regen at all time...
    in other words, meditation looses its meaning

you'd better go back studying your wikis as there never was any "in combat" regen mechanic. casters have 100% mana regen untill they cast a spell which cost them mana (which is why inner focus and clearcasting effects were and still are more less valuable).
    in vanilla at first, i believe mana regen was stopped from the moment you began casting a spell and was stopped for 5s after the spell was cast if the spell cast time was less than 5s (ie no regen while rezzing someone without meditation). then it's been changed soon after to only stop for 5s after a spell (with mana cost > 0) was cast.
    Oh dear God.

Without Meditation, you'll have exactly 0 mana regen while in combat come Cataclysm.
    With Meditation, you'll get 50% of your "out of combat" (formerly known as out of 5s rule) regen.

Currently 5 seconds after your last spell that cost you mana you start regenerating at "full speed". In Cataclysm this won't happen, only the moment you get out of combat.

No more 5s rule = 0% mana regen at all time, unless you're out of combat (100%) or if you're a healer with Meditation (50%).
    Last edited by nevermore; 2010-07-21 at 09:23 PM.