(pvp) Destro > Affliction switch (bump/move)

Hi guys,

Me (destro lock) and my holy pala friend got to 1769 on friday night then lost three times, once was to a seriously good rogue/priest which I didnt mind - but twice was to warrior/priest which irritated me. So we decide to call it a night at 172x and see if 40 games or so on saturday would get us our 1800. Login at 172x and what do we get? warrior priest, rogue priest, rogue priest, warrior priest - shadow/rogue (owned us hilariously fast) - down to a soul crushing 1630 left feeling useless.

Im not here to QQ about priests, they counter us fooking hard and I need to learn to control them (Im tongues/fear/Sfury them as much as I can to keep them off my pala). I'm here to ask, did any of you feel you were forced to take UA to get higher up? or did you try afflic and decide it was your skills not your spec that needed work? - I'd love for a pro 2800 to tell me where our flaws lie but at the moment we both look like tom hanks on the beach scene in saving private ryan - no clue if its a shitty paladin not lossing mana burns, a shitty lock not getting his prios straight, or good old fashioned queing into counters - I can deal with needing to lern2play, I can deal with telling my partner I think its him, so can he, I just can't deal with having no idea where our problem lies.

I/we started as Afflic/hpala but both nubs (this is our first arena season on these classes, we did some season 1/2 but never good rating and diff chars) - I couldnt generate enough pressure to get kills. So I went destruction at 1400 (we hardly struggled, just that we lost against a few teams that were shit) and we blasted to 1700, getting blanket silence deathcoil kills on all the annoying paladins. Now as we are nearing 1800 we are meeting more reasonable players - we MURDER some setups (we got +45 off a spriest/rogue pair) but lately we are loosing our mood very quickly because of dispells and mana burn (if a pala/pri binds clense/disp to mousewheel etc, they just roll it up when not casting, imm-clense... imm-clense..)

Any breakdown of how you overcame walls like this - if affliction fixed it for you, if affliction failed, if you too have had moral crushing sessions and if they randomly went away with more played games...

Thanks

How do you want to control without UA protecting fear ?

Destro/HPala works well , if u go affl your best partners are resto druid(IS spec) and disc priest (drain fights), its still manageable with holy pala but not as effective as those 2 i mentioned

So if u plan on playing destro/hpala u need to work out with your partner on CC chain to score a kill or if u want to play affl u need alot of patience on "drain fights"
    Quote Originally Posted by Daralii View Post
    An orc named after Jesus firing a kamehameha at a tentacle dragon and making it explode into fairy dust before a group of dragons don't lament the loss of their once-friend or the now inevitable extinction of their species due to their newfound sterility and mortality but instead congratulate him on knocking up his wife was pretty fucking insane even by this series' standards.

Quote Originally Posted by Zibeline View Post
    How do you want to control without UA protecting fear ?
    ? Don't understand your point

Quote Originally Posted by Pantelija
    estro/HPala works well , if u go affl your best partners are resto druid(IS spec) and disc priest (drain fights), its still manageable with holy pala but not as effective as those 2 i mentioned
    Yea it seems theres a few more IS/afflic than Hpal afflic but not by a lot - the AJ rankings still show hpala/afflic as a well represented combo in top 50, plus I'm not going to drop a friend whos only geared/able char is the pala.

As for working out cc chain to score a kill - thats how we got to 1769 - I know its not an uber rating but please give us credit for the ability to use HOJ when its off cooldown
    Last edited by blowbags2; 2010-07-21 at 07:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by blowbags2 View Post
    Yea it seems theres a few more IS/afflic than Hpal afflic but not by a lot - the AJ rankings still show hpala/afflic as a well represented combo in top 50, plus I'm not going to drop a friend whos only geared/able char is the pala.

As for working out cc chain to score a kill - thats how we got to 1769 - I know its not an uber rating but please give us credit for the ability to use HOJ when its off cooldown
    i wasnt saying that u should drop your friend for other class i was just pointing out class/spec synergy between those
    as for mana burns your pala should practise more pillar humping , its only way to avoid it , dispells as affl arent problem because of UA but as destro they give alot of headaches >.<
    Quote Originally Posted by Daralii View Post
    An orc named after Jesus firing a kamehameha at a tentacle dragon and making it explode into fairy dust before a group of dragons don't lament the loss of their once-friend or the now inevitable extinction of their species due to their newfound sterility and mortality but instead congratulate him on knocking up his wife was pretty fucking insane even by this series' standards.

Yea he admits himself he may need to learn to los the burns more - as long as he admits that I have faith he will train it better.

And ok - didnt mean to infer too much from your druid/priest point - just seems to be a bit of a culture amongst some people that its a logic step to simply dump your friends for better synergy but I shouldnt assume everyone thinks like that.

We did 6 games as afflic last night and got 4-2 so its not looking too bad, although 2 of those wins were against noticably bad teams (a war druid whos druid constantly ran 500 miles away rather than just LoS, and a ret/priest team with no burst). Will try 50 games at weekend and see how we go.

Could still use some feedback of destro>afflic converts