Thread: Priest Burst

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Priest Burst

Im wondering if shadowpriests are gonna get any burst.

Most other classes has this in one way or another;

Paladin - Avenging Wrath
    Mage - Arcane Power / Mirror Image
    Warlock - Metamorphoses / Soulburn (new in cata)
    Warrior - Recklesness / Bladestorm / Deathwish / Berserkerrage
    Druid - Berserk / Enrage
    Hunter - Beastal Wrath
    Shaman - Heroism / Elemental Mastery / Feral Spirit
    Rogue - Killing Spree / Shadowdance
    Death Knight - Summon Gargoyle / Dancing Rune Weapon / Hysteria

The only "burst" I can think of that priests have are Inner Focus and Shadowfiend. One is a 1 hit only spell which increases critchance, and the other is the way we regain our mana.

I know that spriests do decent damage over a longer stretch, but I sometimes get depressed when I see that the mage next to me bursts for 13-14k on singletargets while I only go up to 7-8k (10man)

This post might sound alittle whiney, but Im not really whining. Im just asking if you guys think we should get some sort of burst, or if we already do get something in Cataclysm ?

mind spike will be a burt spell but what ur talking about are DPS cooldowns shadowfiend is a great cooldown but we really need something cool to boost our damage on command

10+ Year Old Account
    change race to troll and you`ll get 3 min cd 20% haste )

Yes I agree. Troll, just like Orcs have a nice burst-spell (yes i know orcs cant be priests), so it would be something to think about if one were to change race.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wogga View Post
    change race to troll and you`ll get 3 min cd 20% haste )
    add engineering for the glove enchant and you're sorted

Quote Originally Posted by Nemo20 View Post
    Paladin - Avenging Wrath / 31 Point Talent
    Mage - Arcane Power / Mirror Image / Water Ele / Combustion
    Warlock - Metamorphoses / Soulburn (new in cata) / Demonic Empowerenment
    Warrior - Recklesness / Bladestorm / Deathwish / Berserkerrage
    Druid - Berserk / Enrage / Treants / Starfall
    Hunter - Beastal Wrath / Rapid Fire
    Shaman - Elemental Mastery / Feral Spirit
    Rogue - Killing Spree / Shadowdance / Vendetta
    Death Knight - Summon Gargoyle / Dancing Rune Weapon / Hysteria
    Some Additions. Shadow is the only dps spec that lacks a DPS Cooldown.
    Shadowfiend and Dispersion are mana cooldowns, since we do not have another way to regenerate our mana.

Mindspike is Burst, but we still lack a DPS cooldown.

Right now you're underestimating how MB+Spike.

At 3 mind spikes cast... MB is instant cast. At that point the 'frozen damage' from spike should also be at its max.

So you get MSx2, then MS+Instant MB+Frozen stored damage. +Ticks of dots you have up.
    Then there's also the chance a shadow orb may generate and increase that Spike damage by 20%.

We'll have our own version of burst. Though as shadow I think I've kind of enjoyed being the dps class that just has constantly high dps, and hasn't needed a dps cooldown.

in expansion you can spec into power infusion as shadow.
    just no pain and suffering but thats worth it imo.

C.M.S, My favorite thing to start the morning with.

Actually you can't. If you have power infusion, it means your spec only has 30 points in shadow.

You need 31 points in Shadow to even touch the Disc Tree.

Pretty much. Honestly, compared to what some of the other classes have been getting in recent beta builds (ie: Warlock's new Shadowflame horror) I would expect to see some Shadow buffs somewhere along the line, it just seems like they haven't quite gotten around to priests yet as all the trees are kinda a mess.

I would probably expect to see the addition of a DPS CD (or power infusion dropping down to tier 2 disc), as well as a buff to Psychic Horror (to bring it in line with other new abilities balanced around the expectation of longer fights, possibly by increasing the duration of the horror effect to 5 seconds, or by reducing the CD to 45 seconds.)

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if weeks from now, a beta build appeared with a large overhaul to the proposed Shadow Orbs, granting us much greater control over them and better utility as that would fix a lot of problems. Ever since the huge paladin changes that sort of came out of nowhere, in addition to Balance druid's Eclipse changes, I'm really hoping they will do something similar with Shadow Orbs.

Mages have a shitload of DPS burst cooldowns, and Spriest and Affliction Locks have none??? How does Blizz think this shit up?

Mirror Image
    lol

Between Icy Veins and Combustion, you decided to throw in Mirror Image instead? Really?

Wouldn't a Mindblast / SW / DP Spam be considered "burst"?

80 Kingslayer Shadow Priest - Spirestone
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...e&n=Direshadow

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Direshadow View Post
    Wouldn't a Mindblast / SW / DP Spam be considered "burst"?
    Shadow word smiley spam is alot of burst

Quote Originally Posted by Thrayne View Post
    Shadow word smiley spam is alot of burst
    lol

but anyway mb/swd/dp is not the kind of burst the OP's talking about.

What you are really wanting is a some sort of DPS cooldown(s) to use. I have a possible suggestion, tell me what you guys think. Buff shadowfiend. Keep the current mana regen aspect, but possible options are:

1) Each time the shadowfiend attacks the target, all of your DoTs on the target are refreshed/extended, so that you can just nuke away without worrying about refreshing DoTs.

2) The shadowfiend puts a debuff on the target that makes the target take more shadow damage during the time the shadowfiend is attacking.

Shadowfiend needs to be something a lot cooler than it is. Even just buffing the damage the shadowfiend itself does would be nice.

What I like about your ideas is that they're actually creative and new.

However, in order for Shadowfiend to be the basis for anything reliable, I really think they need to make the fiend a similar mechanic to the snobolds on Gormok, where it actually jumps on its target's back and thwacks away from there. It can still be targetable and killable for pvp purposes, but at least you can't jump off a bridge to reduce its effectiveness to 0.

As it stands, the fiend is buggy, unreliable, and way too easy to render completely worthless, even in PvE. If it stuck on its target's back then it would be a great place to put buffs.

Mind Spike can hardly be considered a Burst.
    Cast three and then MB and you pull aggro like a magnet pulls metal.
    That being said, Shadowfiend a Perma pet with a 3 mins cooldown mana regen skill?
    Nah might be too OP :P
    Still, seeing as Blizz slack on Priest updates, correction, Proper Priest updates we'll have to wait and see.
    Amazing how they given us the 5% crit buff in Improved Shadowform though. Bye bye Critchickens and Shammies.
    Lets hope that one stays.

it's actually 5% haste. the information on the wowtal and wowhead talent calcs are wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Annesh View Post
    it's actually 5% haste. the information on the wowtal and wowhead talent calcs are wrong.
    It's actually 5% crit, the last time 5% haste got mention was early july. And there the 5% crit "was outdated data".
    Fact is even in the current builds it's still 5% crit. And the only class with 5% haste currently is Shamans. (Moonkin doesn't have it atm)