Thread: Spell Pen

Spell Pen

I decided to pvp a bit on my priest as shadow, ive heard about spell pen, and always avoided it, but now i hear its "needed" for pvp
    so, i know it works againsts resists, but how much should i aim for?
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Fascists should be marginalized, ostracized, bullied and on the occasion, decked. Their ideology is a cancer in our species.
    Bigots don't deserve debate.
    War is peace. Freedom is slavery. Diversity is strength.

10+ Year Old Account
    130 spellpen will negate the common 130 shadow resistance.

okay then, ty.
    Fascists should be marginalized, ostracized, bullied and on the occasion, decked. Their ideology is a cancer in our species.
    Bigots don't deserve debate.
    War is peace. Freedom is slavery. Diversity is strength.

Deleted
    75 for BGs and not-too-serious-arena

And 130 for like +1,8k rating

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhoodexe View Post
    75 for BGs and not-too-serious-arena

And 130 for like +1,8k rating
    Why does it matter? =P

Don't forget spell pen is only needed for spells that you need to penetrate a resist. So if you're a druid and casting nature & arcane spells then who cares if someone has 130 shadow resist Obviously you are spriest so you have to consider other priests you will UNDOUBTEDLY run against (being probably the most represented class in arena..)

The biggest thing you should "baseline" for is 76 for improved mark of the wild which gives 76 resist across the board. 2 gems (or 4 stat/pen) + cloak enchant typically = 75 so that is what a lot of people run with. the % chance resist from 75 to 76 is so minor that you're going to see a LOT more interrupts/CC impact your casts than an "oh crap, resist"

i think the biggest bugger for some classes are mages with their armor & resists.. can be a pain for hunters to cc them with resist to frost trap et all.
    Last edited by blahism; 2010-07-23 at 08:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobzor View Post
    Why does it matter? =P
    It matters because when one gcd can be the difference between a kill and a non kill you want all the help you can get. 130 spell pen is almost required, especially for shadow pvp as many paladins run shadow aura and all priests use the buff. The OP's spells can almost all be resisted and teh clich ones like scilence are important to get through.

As an example, my dk is spell pen capped as I don't want to get my strangulate resisted. That is my only real shadow spell that is a decent loss if it is resisted.

15+ Year Old Account
    When I read the topic title, I felt this was the only reply I could give:

P E N

There, I spelt pen!

(Please don't ban me :< ...)

Quote Originally Posted by killarth View Post
    It matters because when one gcd can be the difference between a kill and a non kill you want all the help you can get. 130 spell pen is almost required, especially for shadow pvp as many paladins run shadow aura and all priests use the buff. The OP's spells can almost all be resisted and teh clich ones like scilence are important to get through.

As an example, my dk is spell pen capped as I don't want to get my strangulate resisted. That is my only real shadow spell that is a decent loss if it is resisted.
    Yes i do know what spell penetration does... That was not what i was wondering about.

Quote Originally Posted by killarth View Post

He meant '' Why does it matter what rating you are ''

Get 130 and you will be safe OP.

Cloak Enchant, X3 stormy Majestic Zircon, and Spell Pen wand, you're set.

Quote Originally Posted by Zergal View Post
    He meant '' Why does it matter what rating you are ''

Get 130 and you will be safe OP.

Cloak Enchant, X3 stormy Majestic Zircon, and Spell Pen wand, you're set.

If you are ever going to gem 23 sp in any socket, it is never worthwhile to gem 25 sp. 12sp/13spellpen is superior and fits in blue and red sockets, netting you 24 sp and 26 spellpen, saving you some gold to since its a dreadstone, and they are cheaper than pure gems. I personally use the offhand, which gives 79? spell pen, maybe more, and 4 gems to the cap. I am at 131 spell pen now
    Even my horse has a Celestial Steed.
    http://imgur.com/kIg56.png

130 sounds about right.