Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Blizzcon 2010 Stream, Cataclysm Video, Blue Posts

Forums Requiring Authenticator Code
    Originally Posted by Bashiok (Blue Tracker)
    As a part of our ongoing dedication to account security, players who utilize authenticators on their account will now be asked to enter it upon their first time logging into the forums, and then periodically thereafter. By ensuring that, even if their account is compromised, without the attached authenticator their login credentials can’t be used. This additional security layer helps to better protect players in all services accessed by logging in with their account and password.

We’d like to urge all players who don’t already use one to please consider attaching an authenticator to help protect themselves and their accounts. Information on how to obtain an authenticator as well as additional account security information can be found at: http://www.battle.net/security/

BlizzCon 2010 Virtual Ticket Now On Sale
    Originally Posted by Blizzard (Blue Tracker)
    Want to experience the panel discussions, tournaments, game-related announcements, and all the excitement of BlizzCon from the comfort of your own home? The BlizzCon Virtual Ticket multi-channel Internet stream is now available to order around the world for $39.95 USD (pricing may vary by region). In addition, new DIRECTV subscribers in the United States who sign up for DIRECTV service between now and September 24 through www.blizzard.directv.com will receive this year's BlizzCon Virtual Ticket coverage for free. Existing DIRECTV customers will be able to purchase the event on DIRECTV Pay Per View for $39.95 beginning October 9.

Anyone who orders the event will also receive this year's BlizzCon-exclusive World of Warcraft in-game item. In addition, for the first time, BlizzCon 2010 Virtual Ticket holders will have access to exclusive BlizzCon merchandise.

To order or learn more, visit the BlizzCon 2010 Internet stream or DIRECTV sign-up offer pages.

Muffins Presents Cataclysm Part 1: Kalimdor
    Muffins released a pretty nice video of the Beta servers and this should give you a pretty good idea of how things changed in Kalimdor after the Cataclysm.

Blue posts
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment

Increased HP on Cataclysm creatures
    The speed at which a green geared level 80 coming out of Northrend kills creatures in these zones is more in line with what we expect for and from combat times. Raid geared level 80s will still kill level 80 NPCs in under 10 seconds, but at least they will be able to fire off a few abilities before the creature is killed.

Furthermore, upon completion of the first series of quests in Hyjal or Vashj'ir, quest geared level 80 from Northrend should see a significant jump in power due to quest reward itemization. (Source)

Optional and Situational Talents
    Exactly. This is the kind of thing a lot of players are going to have to get used to, and frankly, it's a paradigm shift we are still adjusting too as well. We want there to be some talents where you say "Hmmm. I'm not sure I want that." The "Hmmm" is key. If everyone can instantly can dismiss a given talent as garbage, then it's not a decision. It's also not a decision if you are comparing say Selfless Healer to a +10% self damage talent on a primary ability. (Source)

[...] There are going to be non-negotiable talents. We don't really want to make the Prot spec that skips Hammer of the Righteous to be competitive. We don't want every talent to feel like that though. (Source)

Glyphs on Beta
    You'd be better off just ignoring glyphs completely at this point. Trying to view the talent changes through the lens of old glyphs is just going to lead to strange feedback. This is true of every class. We have turned off some glyphs in beta that really change gameplay to the extent that it will mess up feedback. Perhaps we should just turn them all off until we work on glyphs. (Source)

Tanks Stamina curves
    Since I am sure it will be asked based on that info, paladins and warriors have the same Stamina curves now. A naked warrior and paladin of the same race will have the same health at 85. Both Protection trees get the same amount of Stamina as a passive. That number will likely be something like 10 or 15% Stamina depending on tuning. (In our current build it is 15%.) In similar gear, their health should be very similar. We'll provide the differences in their cooldowns and how they tank. DKs and druids are likely to have different amounts of health as well.

Again, this could change. (Source)

Shield and Tanking Weapons Itemization
    We are making two kinds of shield (healer and tank) and one-handed tanking weapons. We are trying to make all of the tanking weapons about the same speed (no slow vs. fast). With all of the changes, using a one-handed Str weapon might be a reasonable substitute in many cases. We might eventually decide to no longer make tanking weapons (since druids and DKs don't really have them) but we're still doing it for now. (Source)

Paladin (Forums / 3.3.5 Talent Calculator / Cataclysm Talent Calculator / Beta Skills/Talents)
    Crusader Strike
    We have been trying Crusader Strike out at both 3 seconds and 4 seconds to see what fits the best. At the moment it is 3 sec (talented) for Ret and 4 sec for Prot and Holy. It all depends on how many other things are going on that you have to juggle. Inquisition, Zealotry and Exorcism and Divine Purpose procs in addition to the basics of CS, TV and Judgement with Holy Wrath filling in any holes can add up to a lot.

While we definitely want Ret to have an actual rotation in the sense that you aren't just hitting things when they come off of cooldown, we don't want to make it more complex than the other dps specs in the game. (Source)

Haste effect on Seal of Vengeance and Judgement of the Wise
    Excellent question. It isn't a talent, but Seal of Truth (Seal of Vengeance) will tick faster with haste and Judgement of the Wise's periodic mana energize will tick faster with haste. A Ret paladin with enough haste might have enough mana to throw out the occasional Consecration, while a fresh 85 might not be able to afford it often. (Source)

Divine Guardian / Divine Protection
    Divine Guardian doesn't affect the paladin. Otherwise we feared it would just get used as another tank cooldown instead of for the raid utility for which it was intended.

We're strongly considering changing Divine Protection into a short cooldown. It is currently a clone of Shield Wall. Considering the paladin 85 also offers strong emergency damage reduction, we thought they could use a short cooldown ability (say 30-60 sec). Shield Block for warriors is being repositioned more as a short cooldown ability. (Source)

Avenger's Shield
    Avenger's Shield silences as a baseline effect. It no longer dazes, since all that seemed to accomplish was making pulling take longer. (Source)

Righteous Fury
    Righteous Fury now affects all threat. (Source)

Holy Shield and Glyph of Salvation
    I'm not optimistic that we'll keep the Salv glyph, but we'll see. As to Holy Shield, it is going through rapid iteration. Our current implementation has it providing 5% block per stack of Holy Power, up to a max of 15%. So you can use Holy Power for threat, healing or mitigation depending on current circumstances. You should be able to keep the 15% block up all the time with a very small amount of effort.

Warriors get 15% block baseline, so this means the paladin has to work harder for it. Seeing as how the paladin doesn't have to maintain Demo Shout or Thunderclap's debuff, this doesn't seem too great a burden. (Source)

Let Holy Wrath apply Vindication
    This is, in fact, exactly what we did. (Source)

Is Paladin getting too complicated?
    As a response to some of the sky falling rhetoric in this thread (not specifically the post I quoted, which was worded quite reasonably) and others like it, allow me to offer the following:

We have said many times in the past several months that we don't think paladins have enough going on. Now that we're starting to deliver on that, it doesn't surprise me at all to see some concern that things are changing. I'm sure there are some players out there that just really liked the 6969 rotation, but in a game as large as WoW, there are some players who like anything. We need to do what we think is right for the game, and that includes adding some depth to the paladin class. Our goal is to make the class more fun. We don't expect every forum poster is going to 100% agree that we're going about that in the same way they would. We think in the end though that the class will be more fun. (Source)

Holy Power: Will this get a new UI element similar to the Warlock shards or Rogue combo points?
    Yes. (Source)

Touched by the Light
    Prot paladins get it as a passive. It converts Str to spell power but does not affect healing. Part of what we're trying to do is get paladins to specialize more and be less capable of doing everything with one spec. (Source)

Word of Glory and Inquisition
    All paladins can use the heal (Word of Glory) and the self-buff (Inquisition). Prot paladins have a talent to allow them to get a defensive use (Holy Shield). Proper use of Holy Power will distinguish a good paladin from a bad, but the system is far more forgiving than combo points. Consider that if you totally ignored Holy Shield you'd be giving up 15% block. Decent, but not life-threatening. (Source)

Deleted
    firstlol

Love the vids as always

Deleted
    Already signed up for the stream, aside from some ridiculous security problems (the threads how to hack the live stream were present even here....) I did not regret the purchase last year, and now that they finally give us the option to choose which panel to watch this year, probably won't regret it this year.
    Wonder what the ingame item will be, hope not another pet, already got over a 100 of them.... Hope it'll be something awesome like the murloc suit couple years ago.

Awesome videos

Nice videos lol...
    And I'm loving the Paladin news...

Deleted
    The thing I find annoying is that pretty much every time you post blue posts there is a wall o' text for either paladins or warriors, usually for both. I would love to have that much in depth chatter for mages

I'll be sure to get the live stream. First year getting it, but that price isn't too bad

Give me TRH non-combat pet for $40 plix.

Just thinking about the forum authenticator...

Usually when people get hacked and have another authenticator put on their account, they can still post on the official forums for advice etc if need be.
    Blizzard just effectively cut off a few people from support, surely?

Deleted
    They are really trying to reduce the amount of people using official forums.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by mi33 View Post
    They are really trying to reduce the amount of people using official forums.
    How? They are just requiring if you have an authenticator to use it every now and then to say you are who you say you are on the forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Whodey View Post
    I'll be sure to get the live stream. First year getting it, but that price isn't too bad
    Well worth the money imo. Get a few mates who enjoy Blizzard games, and just watch it while chilling on a console or something.
    Last edited by mmoc05c338f655; 2010-07-24 at 01:06 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nik View Post
    firstlol

You know you get banned for this riiiighht?

Also <3 muffins

and those videos

Do it Blizzard, make paladins ridiculously complicated. Separate the wheat from the chaff and actually give the class proper difficulty and learning curve. I am all for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Druchii View Post
    Just thinking about the forum authenticator...

Usually when people get hacked and have another authenticator put on their account, they can still post on the official forums for advice etc if need be.
    Blizzard just effectively cut off a few people from support, surely?
    If your account has been compromised you should be emailing/phoning Blizzard's support, not posting about it and hoping someone from Blizzard sees. (Unless you're talking about support from people, in which case I'm sure there are stickies repeating the same things people fail to do to keep their accounts secure.)

10+ Year Old Account
    beautiful vids with beautiful music

Awesome, I'm glad we will be able to buy stuff from the store this year. I won't have to pester my friends to order for me XD

If there is anyone on the beta I would love some screenshots of the new Raid interface. Not just with 1 person in the group but 5 or so and preferably also some people having debuffs.
    Thanks

Deleted
    Is the stream cheaper than last year? iirc I paid 40 euro back then.
    Wonder what the ingame item is gonna be and the merchandise.

We’d like to urge all players who don’t already use one to please consider attaching an authenticator to help protect themselves and their accounts.
    Blizzard should just fuck off with that authenticator. I try to order one for a long time now and guess what - not possible WITHOUT a credic card. Maybe upgrading their shop would be a nice idea ...