Deleted

DK PvP help needed :-)

Hello all,

I recently started to get into PvP with my Death Knight.
    But I'm running into a few problems.. I don't know how to gem for my DK and what enchants.
    I started doing some arena to get some easy relentless gear.
    Also, how do I 'survive' good? I can take on healers without a problem, locks aswell but I'm running into difficulties with the melee classes and mages aswell from time to time.
    The plan is on doing Arena and BG's aswell for the rest of Wotlk.

My character's name is Twistix, EU - Bronze Dragonflight if anyone wants to look up my armory as I can't post links yet.
    Don't mind the gems in the offset boots, they were meant for PvE first and stuff :-)
    I just bought the relentless legs aswell. I just don't know how to gem them.
    I think you get the point, or at least I hope.

Go to arenajunkies.com, look up ratings, check out a few of the DKs on the leaderboards for an idea.

Quote Originally Posted by DemonTaoist View Post
    Go to arenajunkies.com, look up ratings, check out a few of the DKs on the leaderboards for an idea.
    Please don't listen to this. Top PvPers will gem, enchant, and spec differently depending on their arena comp, their gear, and many other variables.

You can still get an idea if you check several.

Anyway, at least I gave him some advice....

Deleted
    Which melee are giving you trouble? i'm guessing rogues.

Demontaoist idea is pretty good, it wont give you a 100% answer, but it will give you some ideas on what works.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Underskilled View Post
    Please don't listen to this. Top PvPers will gem, enchant, and spec differently depending on their arena comp, their gear, and many other variables.
    That's why you look at many top PvPers, and mostly the ones playing your comp.

And what you're saying isn't entirely true anyway. You'll find most top PvPers with similar gemming, enchants, their speccs will be different by 4-5 points at most, gear will also be similar, no matter the comp. No one is saying you should do it all EXACTLY like them (which is impossible anyway, as you look up several people), but that strategy is very good for getting the general idea and getting started.

So yeah, you succeed in idiotic whining and making a perfectly good strategy seem bad, but fail in real advicing.

I had a look at your armory. Since you do not have a proper PvP set yet, you will most probably bump into some tough fights here and there. Looking through the top arena teams may help you with the basics but end of the day, really depends on your play style. Some gem and enchant heavyly on offensive when teamed with healers while some gem more defensively so it's a little hard to answer your query.

Anyway, once you complete your Relentless set with Wrathful offsets, you should have about 1k res and around 31~32k hp compared to your current 833 res and 28k. You may find things a little different.

Perhaps some general ideas may be of help to you.
    For enchants, I would suggest,

Head - 50 AP & 20 Crit
    Shoulders - 40 AP & 15 Crit
    (You could use the WG enchants to replace these 2 above if you need more resilience at the start. Once you have sufficient from gear, you can swap the enchants again)
    Cloak - 22 Agi
    Chest - 10 Stats (Some prefer 20 resilience but to each his own)
    Bracers - 50 AP
    Hands - 44 AP
    Pants - 75 AP & Crit (If you're having survivability problem, Stam & Agi isn't so bad either)
    Boots - 32 AP (Since you're Unholy PvP, you would already have 15% movespeed, if not, Tuskarr then)

Gems:
    Just go Str (Red), Str+Crit (Yellow), Str+Stam (Blue).

Until you start arena-ing and finding the best playstyle for you and your partner, these should be enough to help you get started with the basics for BG PvP-ing.

I'm Blood PvP so I normally don't have a problem with 1v1 scenarios regardless of caster or melee. Mark of Blood is OP.

Here's a tip when fighting a non-DK melee... kite.

Chains of Ice is a very powerful tool. Frost Fever plus Death Coils and Pet damage, works wonders.

The trick is getting out of melee range in the first place but you'll need to practice and figure that out yourself. Best way to learn PvP is to practice. There's no better teacher than experience, friend.

Alright, perhaps I was a bit strict with that comment.

What I mean is don't just copy the top DK in pvp, for all you know he could be gemming and enchanting to better his comp, and your just starting pvp.

Quote Originally Posted by Twistix View Post
    Hello all,

I recently started to get into PvP with my Death Knight.
    But I'm running into a few problems.. I don't know how to gem for my DK and what enchants.
    I started doing some arena to get some easy relentless gear.
    Also, how do I 'survive' good? I can take on healers without a problem, locks aswell but I'm running into difficulties with the melee classes and mages aswell from time to time.
    The plan is on doing Arena and BG's aswell for the rest of Wotlk.

My character's name is Twistix, EU - Bronze Dragonflight if anyone wants to look up my armory as I can't post links yet.
    Don't mind the gems in the offset boots, they were meant for PvE first and stuff :-)
    I just bought the relentless legs aswell. I just don't know how to gem them.
    I think you get the point, or at least I hope.
    Okay. As far as your Gems go, stack strength. However, before you stack strength make sure you have 135 spell pen. This is to prevent a Strangulate or Chains of Ice resist which could easily cost you a kill. Secondly, survival. Suvival can be achieved in several ways as a Death Knight. One of many ways is to Death Strike while all three diseases remain on the target. This heals me for ~4800, and it is spammable at a max of 3 times in a row. Death Pact, Anti-Magic Shell, Anti-Magic Zone, Icebound Fortitude, and Presence Prancing to Frost Presence will increase your survivability exponentially. Something important to remember is your Anti-Magic Shell not only prevent damage, but prevents all magical effects. Meaning no fear or sheep or freeze or anything. Seeing as it is only a 45 second CD, use it well. Also, it will absorb a huge amount of RP when you take damage. Using it to absorb a Mage and his pets or a Lava Burst/Chain Lightning combo is very common.

Good luck, hope I helped.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfhunter View Post
    I had a look at your armory. Since you do not have a proper PvP set yet, you will most probably bump into some tough fights here and there. Looking through the top arena teams may help you with the basics but end of the day, really depends on your play style. Some gem and enchant heavyly on offensive when teamed with healers while some gem more defensively so it's a little hard to answer your query.

Anyway, once you complete your Relentless set with Wrathful offsets, you should have about 1k res and around 31~32k hp compared to your current 833 res and 28k. You may find things a little different.

Perhaps some general ideas may be of help to you.
    For enchants, I would suggest,

Head - 50 AP & 20 Crit
    Shoulders - 40 AP & 15 Crit
    (You could use the WG enchants to replace these 2 above if you need more resilience at the start. Once you have sufficient from gear, you can swap the enchants again)
    Cloak - 22 Agi
    Chest - 10 Stats (Some prefer 20 resilience but to each his own)
    Bracers - 50 AP
    Hands - 44 AP
    Pants - 75 AP & Crit (If you're having survivability problem, Stam & Agi isn't so bad either)
    Boots - 32 AP (Since you're Unholy PvP, you would already have 15% movespeed, if not, Tuskarr then)

Gems:
    Just go Str (Red), Str+Crit (Yellow), Str+Stam (Blue).

Until you start arena-ing and finding the best playstyle for you and your partner, these should be enough to help you get started with the basics for BG PvP-ing.

I'm Blood PvP so I normally don't have a problem with 1v1 scenarios regardless of caster or melee. Mark of Blood is OP.

Here's a tip when fighting a non-DK melee... kite.

Chains of Ice is a very powerful tool. Frost Fever plus Death Coils and Pet damage, works wonders.

The trick is getting out of melee range in the first place but you'll need to practice and figure that out yourself. Best way to learn PvP is to practice. There's no better teacher than experience, friend.
    This person doesn't know how to DK.

Gem all Str, Str/Hit if you need it, and Spell Pen. Armory my DK to know how to gem (see my sig; I equipped PvP gear just for you OP). And don't go Blood, roll Unholy. Keep diseases up, and chain MF/Strang/DG/Ghoul Stun to land kills.