Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Question Private Server = Bad, Model Viewer = Good ?

So, while the servers are down for maintenance, I was chatting with a friend via Google Chat while listening to some music. The Burning Crusade main title started playing, so I put on my rose-tinted glasses and took a trip down memory lane with my friend. We talked for a good 30-ish minutes on how much fun BC was. This lead to the topic of classic servers and even private servers. I thought Blizzard could test out expansion-themed servers (just 1-3 servers) as an experiment, to see if it was worth it to them financially.

Anyways, we get on the topic of private servers (**NOTE: I HAVE NEVER USED A PRIVATE SERVER**) and how Blizzard will continually try to shut them down, and even go as far as to seek damages. It made sense to me, it's Blizzard's property and they're free to do so, especially when people are making money from private servers. But then that lead me to talk to him about the WoW Model Viewer, since we've been talking about getting into machinima.

So, that leads me to my question: what makes the WoW Model Viewer perfectly fine in the eyes of Blizzard, but not private servers where there is no exchange of money? Both are using Blizzard property for non-profit uses (or at least CAN be used for non-profit), but one is taboo and one is a great tool used by many.

Edit:
    Let me clarify, I'm not supporting private servers in any shape, way, or form. Just asking a simple question regarding what does/doesn't violate Blizzard copyright and intellectual property.
    Last edited by Tikaru; 2013-01-15 at 05:57 PM. Reason: Clarifying my post

10+ Year Old Account
    WoW Model Viewer is just that - a viewer. You get no content. A private server is a fully-functioning copy of the live game. They are completely different.

In short international copyright law.

It's no different than with music - you can listen to it all you want, you can edit, remix or whatever but as soon as you try to distribute it or make money from it then it becomes illegal.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ugru View Post
    WoW Model Viewer is just that - a viewer. You get no content. A private server is a fully-functioning copy of the live game. They are completely different.
    You're still using Blizzard's property, is it simply a matter of scale? You can only access and use so many of Blizzard's files before they get upset?

Quote Originally Posted by Netherspark View Post
    It's no different than with music - you can listen to it all you want, you can edit, remix or whatever but as soon as you try to distribute it or make money from it then it becomes illegal.
    This. A lot of private servers sell things like artifact items and rare mounts for real money.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15

10+ Year Old Account
    Wow model viewer is just viewing the spells and models in the game.
    Emulated WoW sever steals the scripts and information to recreate the game, or anything they want. You can't play the game though model viewer.
    Essentially, they don't want people playing their game that isn't their own, it gives the game a bad name and causes lots of legal problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Tikaru View Post
    You're still using Blizzard's property, is it simply a matter of scale? You can only access and use so many of Blizzard's files before they get upset?
    You use Blizzard's property every time you log onto their servers...

Quote Originally Posted by Ugru View Post
    Fully functioning, in this case, is a very subjective term.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by yurano View Post
    You use Blizzard's property every time you log onto their servers...
    You pay them to access those servers.

Quote Originally Posted by nine3cubed View Post
    Fully functioning, in this case, is a very subjective term.
    Private servers cut into Blizzard's profits, illegally so. Model viewer does not.

In fact, allowing Model Viewer pics to be posted on a site like MMO-Champ might even increase Blizzard's profits. It can be seen as a form of advertising.

They don't lose money to the model viewer. It doesn't illegaly provide a service they're providing and charging for themselves.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by taximals View Post
    Wow model viewer is just viewing the spells and models in the game.
    Emulated WoW sever steals the scripts and information to recreate the game, or anything they want. You can't play the game though model viewer.
    Essentially, they don't want people playing their game that isn't their own, it gives the game a bad name and causes lots of legal problems.
    So, it's just simply a matter of Blizzard doesn't care that model viewer is out there?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by yurano View Post
    Private servers cut into Blizzard's profits, illegally so. Model viewer does not.

In fact, allowing Model Viewer pics to be posted on a site like MMO-Champ might even increase Blizzard's profits. It can be seen as a form of advertising.
    This is all there is to it. Blizzard doesn't offer a model viewer themselves, so they're not exactly losing money if you use another one. They do offer servers though, which you have to pay for to use. If you play on a private server, chances are you're not going to have an active subscription at the same time, but at least some of the people who play on the private servers will buy a subscription if they couldn't play there. So while the owners of the server don't always make money off of it, Blizzard is losing money.

BTW (not sure if this can be discussed here?), I thought private servers reverse engineered the scripts, they don't actually take them from Blizzard?

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    So, it's just simply a matter of Blizzard doesn't care that model viewer is out there?
    They don't want people playing the game for free. You can't play the game with the model viewer.

If they took down WoW Model Viewer they might as well take down all addons but luckily they won't and you know why? Because the model viewer is there to enchance the experience of wow just as addons are made to do. It would simply be to shoot themselves in the knee, which they won't.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Olafski View Post
    This is all there is to it. Blizzard doesn't offer a model viewer themselves, so they're not exactly losing money if you use another one. They do offer servers though, which you have to pay for to use. If you play on a private server, chances are you're not going to have an active subscription at the same time, but at least some of the people who play on the private servers will buy a subscription if they couldn't play there. So while the owners of the server don't always make money off of it, Blizzard is losing money.
    Alright, competition makes sense. I don't know why I didn't about it like that.

Blizzard don't actually like the model viewers, they'd forbid them if they could but legally they aren't breaking the law. The difference between what's legal and illegal is mostly in the distribution of property.

Quote Originally Posted by Olafski View Post
    BTW (not sure if this can be discussed here?), I thought private servers reverse engineered the scripts, they don't actually take them from Blizzard?
    Even so, the Warcraft universe is intellectual property which is still considered copyright infringement.

Anyone can use the model viewer. Playing the game requires an active subscription. They are losing out to private servers, and it IS their intellectual property. Playing the game and viewing its models are ENTIRELY separate aspects. In-Game art assets (while a large part that we see) are only a PART of it.

The wow model viewer is not making money from their copyrighted property, nor is it providing a free alternative to a service they provide for a charge, so it doesn't lose them revenue.
    Last edited by Purplekitti; 2013-01-15 at 06:22 PM.