Page 1 of 2
LastLast

New encounter design; intelligent design

So I have this idea for a great concept, this may come out a little akward so I will try to explain it, so its somewhat understandable.

The idea goes like this: Before you start an encounter, everybody signs up as their role in the raid (tank healer or dps) just like with the random dungeon tool. Now, you might ask yourselves why?

Instead of the boss targeting a random raid member, the boss now knows who is who. This means the boss can now throw specific hazards at specific players, lets have some examples (bare in mind, these are BAD examples, and are just here to illustrate and explain the concept)

Tanks:
    The encounter knows who are tanking, why not cast an undispelable sleep on one of them? So the other tank have to pick up what ever the other tank was tanking for say 15 seconds. If this was thrown on a random raid member (a 15 seconds sleep) it would either be a small DPS loss, or another healer had to heal some more.

Healers:
    Again, the encounter knows whos healing and whos not. Lets get some mana leeching going! So that, well timed innervates, holy hymns, mana tiddes would be very nesccary. If this was cast on a random member, maybe a mage. A simple evocation would be needed, and you would be good to go again.

DPS:
    The encounter is able to pick two specific DPS and throw them into a big chunck of ice (much like on the LK encounter in frostmourne) and they would have to free eachother by DPSing something down. The timer can be much more shorter because the encounter knows that its two DPS, and not a rogue and holy priest (poor rogue, having to be saved by a holy priest )

The idea is to give the encounter more options on what to do and what not to do. What spells/abilities/obstacles hurt what roles the most, to give even more challenging content.

TL/DR: You sign up before raids as your role, the encounter knows who is who. The encounter will make whatever you are doing harder for you, instead of everything being random.
    Quote Originally Posted by ohlins View Post
    I only shave my beard and balls.

15+ Year Old Account
    Sort of a decent idea but I suspect that the whole assigning yourself the roles makes it prone to manipulation/exploitation.
    Say, if the mana drains for healers are really that bad they can just sign as tanks and won't have to deal with it.
    Blizz would have to make it so that the raid can recognise these roles on it's own.
    Other than that, yeah sounds like a decent idea

Deleted
    Perhaps the boss detects the party composition and checks off against a Database the speccs of the members (not specific speccs but which tree you're heaviest in) and alters it's tacs so it's more difficult for each player as it knows how to counter or complicate your specc.

I see where you're going with this, but I'd have to wonder how this would work with dual spec. What if a healer and a dps switch roles mid raid?

I don't really like the idea, but it's interesting.

3DS FC: 1821-9540-3146
    Electric Safari: Manectric, Pikachu and Emolga. Looking for other friend codes for safari.
    Pre-Ordered Alpha Sapphire

You don't need to have people sign up for roles to do this.

If you want bosses to throw something at spesific roles, the system can just either check the spec of people, or just using "recount data".
    I don't mean the addon itself, but all the info there is availible to blizzard as well.

Besides. it would be really easy to fool the system if players themselves was to sign up their roles.
    just let a tank sign up as healer and let him be manadrained, or a dps sign up as tank and he can sleep for a bit.

10+ Year Old Account
    The game already knows in a bossfight who does what. It's not hard to figure out who's doing the healing, dps and tanking.

Quote Originally Posted by Teleruin View Post
    You don't need to have people sign up for roles to do this.

If you want bosses to throw something at spesific roles, the system can just either check the spec of people, or just using "recount data".
    I don't mean the addon itself, but all the info there is availible to blizzard as well.

Besides. it would be really easy to fool the system if players themselves was to sign up their roles.
    just let a tank sign up as healer and let him be manadrained, or a dps sign up as tank and he can sleep for a bit.
    I was thinking about your last paragraph when he mentioned it.

Also, wouldn't having the bosses checking players sounds like it might result in lag in some way. <.<

3DS FC: 1821-9540-3146
    Electric Safari: Manectric, Pikachu and Emolga. Looking for other friend codes for safari.
    Pre-Ordered Alpha Sapphire

Yeah they already know, look at sindragosa fight. There is a limit to how many healers can get unchained magic at once, and tanks cant get iceblocks (even when they arent tanking). And they dont give unchained magic to say ret pallies or something, despite them having a mana bar.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0H3-N9zoI5c Amazing video of 60+ devilsaurs raiding Undercity!

My God, what a horrible creation. People seeing what they want? Thank God they tried to shy away from that. I know it pisses me off when I'm in an heroic raid, yet in the back of my head all I can think is 'some casual player is playing a heroic dungeon and not wiping.' -Vodkarn

Quote Originally Posted by phyrix View Post
    The game already knows in a bossfight who does what. It's not hard to figure out who's doing the healing, dps and tanking.

Na. they allready do that.
    Bosses know who made most damage to them, and who have healed most, else they could not have a aggrotable.

both damage and healing causes aggro.
    I I would think it's not a problem to register who have taken most damage from you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dakoeda View Post
    The encounter will make whatever you are doing harder for you
    I'd love to see some more random things happen - like on Deathbringer Saurfang instead of blood beasts, it was an army of hoggers.

I got an idea for the Deathwing encounter...
    Begin in whatever tomb you start the encounter. After that, be killed by Deathwing's flames. That brings you to realm X, where he circles above a burning capital city. Teleport to another capital city, and make Thrall summon the spirits of the other Tirisfal guardians, slowly defeating Deathwing.

---------- Post added 2010-08-03 at 11:10 AM ----------

Another example of a nice phase: Begin in whatever phase or phase transition by having low health, people will start embracing Dark Energy, beginning to heal you up until you reach 100%. If you reach 100%, the Dark Energy turns against you, and deals loads of damage to you. The damage dealers will have to prevent other players from reaching 100% health, but also not to kill each other. The healers must deal damage to the boss/adds through the heals thanks to the dark energy.
    Last edited by hejzwej; 2010-08-03 at 11:11 AM.

Am i missing something or are you pretty much just describing the way encounters work right now?(@OP)

What about a modified class call? Never fought Nef in his heyday but that sounded like a nefarious tactic. Or even combining the OP's ideas with a class call...for instance a prot pally that gets called does something different than a holy pally that gets called.

Or even better...he calls out a 5 man team which MC's 3 dps and 2 heals from your raid and you have to fight against them and the boss simultaneously. That would be annoying as hell but challenging.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk_Fogg
    But don't worry guys... you're not going to Space Camp but at least you've got those remote control trucks and your confidence.
    Quote Originally Posted by Olmec
    The player that conquers the most countries in sixty seconds, wins!

Quote Originally Posted by YTOfficer01 View Post
    Perhaps the boss detects the party composition and checks off against a Database the speccs of the members (not specific speccs but which tree you're heaviest in) and alters it's tacs so it's more difficult for each player as it knows how to counter or complicate your specc.
    actually this would work in cata because of the requirement that you spend 31 points into a tree.

so ther eis nobody with a funky spec, if your 31 points in prot...your prot.

Deleted
    It's a great idea, but the programming and memory for a task like that would be insane, I have no idea how Bliz would even go about it.

You folks shouldn't be arguing about intelligent design here, not really the forums for it.

Doesn't this allready exist? For example doesn't blood queens first bite always go on a dps?

15+ Year Old Account
    Honestly, your idea sounds like a basic Kara(Naxx, if you are someone who started in Wotlk) level boss =\

It's basically "Same effects in the past, only now they only effect dps/healers!" (Tank trading like that was done in Kara, and I think more, I has bad memory)

Also, random is NOT hard. I'm shocked some people are thinking that bringing in a random element is 'real' difficulty, when it's really just 'fake'.
    Last edited by seam; 2010-08-10 at 11:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lugo Moll View Post
    Doesn't this allready exist? For example doesn't blood queens first bite always go on a dps?
    No.

But on 10 man sindragosa, it's smart enough to always target 1 caster dps and 1 healer, which is not fun when you're the sole caster on heroic as it puts you out of the fight in phase3.
    It's the internet. You never know if people are either sarcastic or just bad.

Quote Originally Posted by aether99 View Post
    so ther eis nobody with a funky spec, if your 31 points in prot...your prot.
    and if you spend 31 points in Feral, you're...

...screwed?
    The Fogelmensch!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenixdown View Post
    All your problems in this game have the easiest of solutions. And they're usually caused by you in the first place. The sooner you see that, the sooner they're all solved.
    Understanding is a three edged sword: your side, their side, and the truth.
    Kosh