Chakra alternative

The talent as it currently stands looks very underwhelming, even though it is pretty much confirmed that it will undergo some changes I am concerned that it will merely be a buff to its current form. The spam requirement makes it expensive and therefore makes it situational, situations where this buff enjoys significant uptime and worth (tank healing/renew spamming) is where player interaction with this mechanic becomes non existent and the talent merely becomes a passive buff. The talent is uninteresting and given the presence of Deliverance (Serendipity) in the tree uncreative.

So here is my suggestion.

Chakra

Instant cast, off the gcd

Mana cost: x

Cooldown: 30 seconds

Duration: 35 seconds

Empowers the spell set of the next spell used.

Renew/PoM- Increases healing done by PoM and Renew by X%, reduces renews gcd by X seconds and adds X charges to PoM

PoH/CoH - Increases healing done by PoH by X% and reduces the cooldown of CoH by X seconds

Heal/Greater heal -Icrease crit chance of Heal and Gheal by X% and gives Heal and Gheal a 60% chance to refresh the duration of renew on the target

Smite/Holy fire/Binding heal/Flash heal (pvp/support dps) - Increase the damage of you holy and shadow spells by X%, reduces the chance to be critically hit by X% and reduces the duration of stun/silence/fear by X%

Bear in mind the modifiers are only suggestions, they aren't really important.

What is important is the mechanic of allowing the choice to specialize your spells every 30-35 seconds without having to eat a gcd or waste time and mana spamming spells making the spec more dynamic and the game play more interesting.

10+ Year Old Account
    Warlocks would like to have a word with you...

Really though, and I hate to sound like a broken record...or do I?...it's still early in the beta phase and GC himself has said that Chakra needs work. It's 'not there yet'. When they think it is, then you can start critiquing. I do like the mechanic you suggested though, given how similar it is/would be to the new Warlock Soul Shard mechanic.
    Last edited by Vidur; 2010-08-04 at 01:21 PM.

'What other people think of me is none of my business" - RuPaul

I get what you're saying, but I have to disagree. I like the mechanic of activating on a certain spell use. Kind of like the priest is "charging" the chakra by casting renews, therefore making his renews much stronger after subsequent use. Also, with their current design, you don't have to wait 30 seconds to change specialization.

I do, however, agree that it is very underwhelming at have two suggestions.
    1: Make the effect of Chakra much more significant, almost as if the talent is required, amazing, and the main reason to spec holy (like they said they wanted on the blue post). i.e. for Renew, the Chakra will cause your renew ticks to also cause the mastery effect on each tick (stacking), the global cooldown is reduced by .5 seconds, and the mana cost is reduced by 50%.
    To balance the incredibleness of Chakra, they could just pump the mana cost up on a non-chakra (normal) renew a bit.
    To prevent a player from spamming the same button, they could have it affect 2 spells or put a current Eclipse cooldown on it, where you can enter one chakra for 15 seconds but can't use the same one for 30 seconds.

Suggestion 2: Make the chakra a stacking buff. I was originally going to suggest that it starts stacking at one cast and has its full effect after 3 casts in a row, but then i realized the chakra effect would be activating and changing every different spell cast. So now I propose that two or three subsequent spell casts activate a chakra, and while it is active any more casts will enhance its effect up to a 5 stack.

Example: casting renew twice in a row creates the buff Renew Chakra for 15 seconds, reducing mana cost by 20%. Any other spell cast, as long as its not cast twice in a row, won't take away or affect this chakra, or be affected by it. If the caster casts renew 3 more times within the 15 seconds, the mana cost is reduced by 50%, 10% with each spell cast. If another spell is cast twice in a row the renew chakra is replaced with that chakra.

I propose 3 different chakra "states":

Renew Chakra (raid/instant cast healing) - obviously since you can't cast renew several times on the same target, its a raid healing tool. And some fights will need a separate moment for instant cast spells and for casting spells when you have a mass movement phase.
    Effect: Reduces the mana cost of Renew, Circle of Healing and Prayer of Mending by 50% at full effect and reduces the global cooldown of both spells by .5 seconds at full effect. In addition, the cooldown of PoM and CoH is reduced by 25%.

Prayer Chakra (stand-still aoe healing) - this is for the priest who wants to use single spells to heal masses of people while casting. the stand still aoe heal phase.
    Effect: Reduces the casting time of Prayer of Healing by 25%, increases the amount healed by Lightwell and Holy Nova by 25%, and reduces the mana cost of all 3 spells by 50%.

Heal Chakra (tank healing) - this is designed to set up a nice rotation system and allow for decent tank healing. 2 casts of the Heal spell activates it and more Heal casts enhance it.
    Effect: casting Heal again will reduce the mana cost of Greater Heal by 5%, stacking up to 5 times. In addition, casting Greater Heal on a target with Weakened Soul will activate a shield equal to 100% of the amount healed by Greater Heal. In addition, Flash Heal adds 5 ticks to renew.

After these changes, a tank-healing priest is going to want to set up PW:S, Renew and activate his chakra and the start of the fight. Then, while trying to conserve mana, he uses Heal and switches to Greater Heal when it becomes most efficient (a fully stacked chakra). And once before renew is about to fade he casts Flash Heal. A raid-healing priest in a movement heavy fight will be able to use renew much more often with reduced mana costs and GCDs, and have PoM/CoH when he needs. A stand still raid healer has a tool to help heal casters (lightwell), melee (holy nova - and the two can be switched), and PoH.
    Also notice that each chakra effects exactly 3 spells, and combined every single one of the priest's 9 spells are used (CoH/Renew/PoM; PoH/Lightwell/HN; Heal/Gheal/PW:S, and to a lesser extent, Flash Heal)
    FINALLY GOT CATACLYSM!

Scattered your suggestion is really boring. To press automatically the same button once every 35 sec is not fun. I suppose the idea behind Chakra is an "spell check", even if "it's not there". Chakra should detect the spell we are casting the most and then enter to a Chakra state without affecting our gameplay. Even if your Chakra suggestion don't waste a GCD, it would be tedious. Do you imagine to refresh Inner Fire once every 35s?