Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Horrid Crow View Post
    Been playing WoW on an Apple for years now. You Windows users are just jealous not having an amazing free recorder built in.

Yeah, cuz that actually takes me more then 2 min to find on google.

Quote Originally Posted by Patty View Post
    Also.. Remember to take out the battery when the laptop is plugged to the wall.. Helps a shitload on overheating..
    The battery heats up when it is charging. However with an intelligent circuitry the battery is not charged when it doesn't actually need charging.

Blizzard will send you a new Laptop!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonoka View Post
    Yeah, cuz that actually takes me more then 2 min to find on google.
    Do your best to find a better one. I dare you.

Quote Originally Posted by Horrid Crow View Post
    Been playing WoW on an Apple for years now. You Windows users are just jealous not having an amazing free recorder built in.

Yea free recorder....Id actually take the shitloads of games over some recorder....
    Quote Originally Posted by SkillOverKill
    That's like Darth Vader arguing to Luke that "The Death Star really isn't that great, sure it blows up planets on a 75 second cooldown, but the weakness is that while blowing up a planet it isn't blowing up any other planets, unless they are in the same solar system, and if they are LoL L2Play stuipd planets....being in the same solar system! hah!"

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by RC-ST. View Post
    I played wow on a laptop (apple) and after 2-3 moths it crashed in wow (i was in gurubashi trying to loot chest) and then I found out that the graphic chipset was burned because of overheating.
    I want to know if other people had problems with laptops and pc because of wow.
    This is like saying "I was running along the motorway eating a banana and was hit by a car. Just wondering if anyone else had problems with being hit by a car while eating bananas?"

Quote Originally Posted by Luke Skywalker View Post
    Don't hate on apple, wow runs fine on my brand new macbook pro with an i7 processor and 330m card, 4g ram, 1680x1050 display all on ultra settings, he probably has one of the cheapest Macs that his parents could afford judging on his typing and lack of knowledge of computers.
    fun fact: my new pc has the same specifics (i have a gtx470 instead of the 330m) and i can assure you it's working good like yours. oh, i have spent like a third of yours.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by overneathe View Post
    WoW is not meant to be played on a laptop. Because no game has been made to be played on a laptop. The astonishingly limited space for air to be vented and the limited to no options for external/additional cooling makes laptops an obsolete platform for gaming.

Do not ever do that. Your laptop will 100% burn down to its frames.
    wow.com/tag/dell-wow-laptop/

Just sayin'.

Also, I played WoW constantly for obscene amounts of hours more or less every day (I was a huge raider, not so much now, but after studying for exams in university, I had little else to do in a town I just moved to where I knew -noone-) for nearly 4 years and my laptop was fiiine.
    I never cleaned anything, I never cooled anything, it got ridiculously hot all the time.
    I recently bought a cooling pad for it. Alas, it has finally died from constant abuse, but ironically enough, I had not played WoW on it for 3 months and then it died all by itself. One day, it just would not turn on. I opened it up, no evident damage to the mother board, or any other part of it. Something screwing with a connection, perhaps it was bumped or dropped one too many times.

Long story short: WoW + 4 years + Much abuse + No cleaning = no problems. Those of you who are terrified of WoW hurting your laptop are silly, if your lappy broke, its not WoW's fault, someone you live with touched something they shouldn't have. :P

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke Skywalker View Post
    Don't hate on apple, wow runs fine on my brand new macbook pro with an i7 processor and 330m card, 4g ram, 1680x1050 display all on ultra settings, he probably has one of the cheapest Macs that his parents could afford judging on his typing and lack of knowledge of computers.
    Yeah, and you probably spent over 2k on that, congratulations. It is pretty much a fact that Macs are overpriced if you would look at the hardware they use; you pay for the design and the OS. Mac = hip, and you are going to goddamn pay for it. If you want to, be my guest, I would prefer to spend more on the hardware.

Laptops do tend to overheat. Removing the accu while playing plugged can or can not improve battery life, it depends. It could also destroy it if you leave it out for a long time whilst full or empty. There was a site which explained it in detail, including tech specs and such, look up your accu before going "lol unplug is good".

@OP, successful troll is successful.

Good thermal design and heat sinks are bulky and unattractive. Hence why they aren't in macs. When you went mac you chose style over function.

GG

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Vacuuming your laptop may help you. If your hardware is full of dust, it will overheat easily.

Sorry for my bad language.

15+ Year Old Account
    I played wow on a laptop (apple) and after 2-3 moths it crashed in wow (i was in gurubashi trying to loot chest) and then I found out that the graphic chipset was burned because of overheating.
    That high pitched whirring sound and the burning smell that you ignored for a month, ya those were things to pay attention to.

---------- Post added 2010-08-05 at 09:00 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Hybr1d View Post
    Mac = hip
    Are Macs even hip anymore? Apple doesn't do any advertising for them and I haven't heard many college intellectual types swoon over them in some time. Figured the iPad and Windows 7 finally killed off the crowd that thought Macs were special.
    Last edited by conscript; 2010-08-05 at 01:00 PM.

World of Warcraft is the source of all evil.
    It did burn my house, ate my kids, and raped my wife.

OT. Most laptops I've been using did have problems with overheating too, though I've never played on them. Might have been just an defect on your side though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nev12 View Post
    World of Warcraft is the source of all evil.
    It did burn my house, ate my kids, and raped my wife.

OT. Most laptops I've been using did have problems with overheating too, though I've never played on them. Might have been just an defect on your side though.
    lol

Quote Originally Posted by chunx0r View Post
    Good thermal design and heat sinks are bulky and unattractive. Hence why they aren't in macs. When you went mac you chose style over function.

GG
    Im using my MacBook Pro for playing wow for a while now and Im not having any problems so far. The fans run at 6000 rpm to keep the GPU at around 70°C and the stylish aluminium case does a great job directing the heat from CPU and GPU to the outside.
    And beside the hardware and OS, you also pay for a intelligent battery that doesn't get warm when plugged into the wall.
    I posted in the legendary "I found Yogg-Saron" thread and all I got was this lousy signature.

Deleted
    first of all before i installed wow on apple i read the system req and it said "work on any g4"
    i had a powerbook g4 15, ghz
    so it was in the system specification
    second - if i didn t play wow on that laptop that laptop would have been ok now, because wow was the only aplication that overheated my system
    third - apple laptops are made to get burned and buy another :P
    fourth - i would have apreciated if before i instaled the game devillzard ask me : "our game is very complex and may burn your poor laptop, do you still wana play?" "NO - that laptop cost me 1000 dollars!"
    fifth - ... there was a fifth element here but i forgot it something about me don t having the money to buy a new laptop... or the fact that devillzard has billions of dollars and could have given me... smt
    ah, ok, i remembered!
    fifth - this topic was made to find other person with similar problem or to warn future players that this game can damage laptops and probably decrese with 0.0001% the income of devillzard! muahahaha!

15+ Year Old Account
    third - apple laptops are made to get burned and buy another :P
    And still your blaming WoW?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tulduru
    He is the hero that Azeroth deserves, but not the one it needs right now. And so we'll mock his alpha prediction. Because he can take it. Because he's not a hero. He's a silent poster, a watchful dataminer....The MMO Champion.

Hitz From Dah Boing

Deleted
    my graphics card assploded taking my mother board and power pack with it. i was playing wow at the time but my fan had died so im thinking that was probably the problem.

I played wow on a laptop (apple) and after 2-3 moths it crashed in wow
    I played wow on a laptop (apple)
    laptop (apple)
    apple
    Found the problem
    Your face when the Scoundrel is Gallagher.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zox View Post
    No.
    But if you really want to play safe, use the following commands in game:
    /console maxFPS 30
    /console maxFPSBk 0
    That's actually very useful, thank you!

Though; the second one (background) will need to be at least 1, as 0 will set it to the current maximum for the foreground.
    Last edited by Daphna Faldor; 2010-08-05 at 08:42 PM.