What does it take to work at Blizzard?

Just out of curiosity. I'll be graduating in a year or so with a degree in Computer Science. And I figured since I like playing Blizz's games, it'd be a cool place to work. So yeah...what does it take?

10+ Year Old Account
    They have plenty of openings. Why don't you take a look and see if you qualify for any?

http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company...egion=Americas

You need to be brain-dead and interested in profit. I hear sun glasses and a t-shirt and some jeans help also.

Well to start you need to make a list that details the next few expansions of their games

Mad skills bro!

The Unstoppable Force Resentful's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Go apply to whatever Seabeast has linked

Got to start somewhere

10+ Year Old Account
    @OP:

Somehow, I doubt that any work in Blizzard would involve you to play WoW for hours at an end.

For example, if you're testing a particular raid/mechanic/whatever, it's not like your manager's going to tell you to go play like you normally do, and then report back if there's anything wrong; rather, it would most probably involve hours running the raid/mechanic/whatever in a testing environment, then doing it again in a "live"-ish one.
    "Oh yay! Happy little deer!
    Now they can grow up and have ADVENTURES.
    You're swell. "

- Mylune
    (aww... she said I'm swell <3 )

Quote Originally Posted by Domiku View Post
    You need to be brain-dead and interested in profit. I hear sun glasses and a t-shirt and some jeans help also.
    that's only if you want to be a CEO or executive.

---------- Post added 2011-08-02 at 11:40 PM ----------

And yeah, working for WoW isn't all about playing it. Depending on where you go into, you may rarely play it. If you're just building the environment, you're not going to be fighting raid bosses. Even if you're building a mechanic, you'd be building the code and working it out and finding bugs and just playing that mechanic over and over and over and over...

But if you want it as a job, yeah take a look at their openings, see if you qualify. You gotta work your way up.

Quote Originally Posted by Veltorak View Post
    Just out of curiosity. I'll be graduating in a year or so with a degree in Computer Science. And I figured since I like playing Blizz's games, it'd be a cool place to work. So yeah...what does it take?
    Offer something the other 100 applicants can't. Good luck.

Deleted
    Hahah because of this thread I was looking on some of the jobs they are offering:

Anti-Cheat Engineer
    Requirements
    *An intense desire to make life tough for the bad guys

Pluses
    * L33T Hacker

I thought it was funny

Quote Originally Posted by Veltorak View Post
    To work as... what? Dev, GM, programmer, technical support...? I know that most GMs don't have any computer degree, at all, but all are required to have social skills. You must be able to understand people and be able to message them in a clear and coherent way. It seems easy, but if you pay attention to the wow forums you will notice that most players either have limited IQ, have no social skills or very limited ones, can't and won't understand the game as a whole, and clearly don't care about what you have to say.

Actually, several players in the forums don't even care about what they are saying either, do not care about facts and all they truthfully want is to be heard by someone. As long as they get someone to read what they post, doesn't matter what the reply is.

I would like to work at Blizz too. So I can program backdoors and IDDQD into WOW for my account. :>

WTB git account @ Blizz PST.

Quote Originally Posted by Adalwolf View Post
    To work as... what? Dev, GM, programmer, technical support...? I know that most GMs don't have any computer degree, at all, but all are required to have social skills. You must be able to understand people and be able to message them in a clear and coherent way. It seems easy, but if you pay attention to the wow forums you will notice that most players either have limited IQ, have no social skills or very limited ones, can't and won't understand the game as a whole, and clearly don't care about what you have to say.

Actually, several players in the forums don't even care about what they are saying either, do not care about facts and all they truthfully want is to be heard by someone. As long as they get someone to read what they post, doesn't matter what the reply is.
    Whatever troll.

​<3

drunk..................

Quote Originally Posted by Kohle View Post
    Hahah because of this thread I was looking on some of the jobs they are offering:

Anti-Cheat Engineer
    Requirements
    *An intense desire to make life tough for the bad guys

Pluses
    * L33T Hacker

I thought it was funny
    LOL I thought you were joking, but I found it too, that's awesome.

http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company...tml?id=110005K

Deleted
    Awww, I wanted to be in before the Blizzard bashing....

Also, people like Puffin are funny. The post he quoted was about people exactly like him.
    And his response? Exactly what you would expect from such people.

I hope blizzard will NEVER take random guys from street without any actual working experience.

Deleted
    An advanced degree in applied pandaology.