Deleted

Need some help regarding a new PC please

Hello all

To get the cliche over, long time reader first time poster haha but its true. Anyway...

My current PC that I play WoW on is rather old and cannot be upgraded anymore than it currently is so im looking into investing in a new PC, especially with Cata coming up, as I currently get around 6-8fps in raids. ICC25man Marrowgar I just afk because its pointless lol.

Anyway ive been looking at this PC on Ebay and I must admit I don't know alot about PC's so I was wandering if you could help me out abit.

The specifications are:

AMD Athlon II x2 250 3.0Ghz Processor
    4gb 800Mhz DDR2 RAM
    500GB Hard drive
    Asus ATI Radeon HD 4350 1gb HDMI Graphics card
    Asrock N68C-S UCC Motherboard

Now alot of that is foreign to me, I should really learn more about PC's as I use them alot, but I was hoping you could let me know if it is a decent PC to play WoW and will be able to handle end game Cataclysm.

Im not looking to play setting on max, that isn't a must for me to be honest as I currently play with everything on low and don't mind but it would be nice if I could be able to turn view distance up abit.

So to sum up, I would like to know if this could play end game raids in Cata and is it a good PC for a game like WoW which I understand isn't that demanding.

Oh and also I don't raid with many addons if you would like to know, usually just Omen and DBM. Would be nice to have recount on maybe though if it could handle it.

Any help would be appreciated and any questions feel free to ask.

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by mmocbb8e983830; 2010-08-10 at 07:32 PM.

Herald of the Titans pansertjald's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    sorry to say it, but that vomputer is CRAP

all the parts are old and you will have the same problem again when you want to upgrade.

look at the sticky What Should I Build/Buy?
    AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 C30 : PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 GRE Hellhound OC: CORSAIR HX850i: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: fiio e10k: lian-li pc-o11 dynamic XL:

Deleted
    It's not necessarily terrible. It's certainly capable of dealing with WoTLK. It really depends how much you're looking at spending. If your budget is very low and it's cheap it may be a good buy.

Deleted
    My budget is cheap atm and that sticky is literally no use for me as like I said, I dont know much about PC's.

Its just that my current PC is...well aweful doesnt sum it up.
    Current PC is (this is what it says in System properties anyway):
    Nvidia Geforce FX 5200 128mb
    Intel(r)
    Pentium(r) 4CPU 2.80Ghz
    2.80Ghz 2gb RAM

Judging by the slowness of this PC, it doesnt take a mastermind to realise that this is a poor PC and probably wouldnt handle Cataclysm as its just about coping with Wotlk.

But if that PC is no use and probably struggle with Cata then there is no point, ill have to save more pennies and hope I have enough before expansion for a decent one.

Thanks for replies.

You need roughly $6-700 budget to buy minimum usable computer for WoW. That will run current 25-man raids at medium graphics settings with 15-20 fps which is totally playable. Up the budget to ~$900 and you'll be at 30-40fps with high graphics. That is also pretty close to the point where paying more will give less benefits for your money and bigger investment goes mostly towards luxury stuff instead of bare necessities.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Deleted
    To be honost im not looking for a flash PC and 15-20fps is a massive improvement to what I get currently, pushing 10fps at most atm, im on a budget of about £350-£400 not sure what that is in USD though.
    Supposed ill have to keep looking about.

I wouldn't recommend buying computers off of Ebay. Just go to newegg and build your own. If can assemble IKEA furniture or Legs you can assemble a computer.

Just replace your current motherboard, ram, G-card, CPU and maybe an HDD if you dont want to use your current one.

Deleted
    Its all nice and simple to say build your own and its easy but not if you do not know what is good for a gameing pc and what is not. Especially when I do not know the average price for certain parts or which makes are better ect.
    Last edited by mmocbb8e983830; 2010-08-11 at 12:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanish View Post
    Its all nice and simple to say build your own and its easy but not if you do not know what is good for a gameing pc and what is not. Especially when I do not know the average price for certain parts or which makes are better ect.
    Just do some research. Post the parts you interested in on these forums. I have, the people here are really good with helping you get the most bang for your buck.

If you can tie your shoe you can build a computer Damn i'm still learning how to do the knot part

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanish View Post
    I built myself a new PC last week. It's the first time I've done so and I had no idea what to do or what to look for. The 'what to build' sticky includes an incremental build guide which pretty much tells you exactly what to aim for for a particular price range.

I baed a build around that, using ebuyer.com to find parts (i'm based in the uk) then posted my build on ebuyer's forums got some good feedback and suggestions, tweaked it a bit. Had a browse through some posted builds on their forums in my price range, or close, tweaked a bit more, bought and built.

It may seem daunting, but really, there's not much to it and there is a lot of readily available information, and a lot of helpful, knowledgeable people out there. It's worth doing - you will get better value for your money.