Page 1 of 12
... LastLast

Phasing has ruined WoW for me.

For myself and a few others I've talked to, phasing is the main thing that will keep us from coming back for Cataclysm. We play MMOs to be around a lot of other people and to experience the game alongside the multitudes. Phasing has destroyed that, first in Wrath and now in Cataclysm. The entire game has been destroyed as far as being an actual MMO now. It is no longer an MMO so much as a sparsely populated singleplayer game. Anyone else feel this way?

How exactly does a mechanic to show change in an MMO ruin the game? It's not like a phased area completely seperates you from other players. You only get seperated in small areas until the other people or you complete the quests and are in the same phased state.

Personally I think phased environments ( when they work) are a great story progression mechanic.

Quote Originally Posted by archelios View Post
    Troll?
    Not at all. I'm entirely serious. In the videos of Cataclysm and with our experience with Wrath, there is a group of players who became ex-players because the world lost what made it wonderful. It lost its population density.

Yeah, ok, whatever.

Because in questing you're really focused on having someone around you jacking your kills. Because that is totally what the game is about. You want people? Organize and quest together intentionally, and then find people to run dungeons without the dungeon finder. Or go and raid with people. Or do arenas, or bgs. There are an abundance of ways to be around eachother, and questing in some phased local is far from a bad thing.

Nope, because I've never had this issue. Most people go through the phases as they quest, thus never encountering a problem where everyone's out of phase. The only place I ever experienced this problem was outside of ICC, but that's due to bugs and daily quests.

Honestly, it's improved gameplay drastically. It always bugged me that I'd work my butt off to free some place of evil only to return after finishing the quest and seeing no physical changes. This fixes that issue.

They're also making it so that party and raid members can join each others' phases in Cataclysm (at least that was their intent when they announced terrain phasing).

Quote Originally Posted by grimhound View Post
    For myself and a few others I've talked to, phasing is the main thing that will keep us from coming back for Cataclysm. We play MMOs to be around a lot of other people and to experience the game alongside the multitudes. Phasing has destroyed that, first in Wrath and now in Cataclysm. The entire game has been destroyed as far as being an actual MMO now. It is no longer an MMO so much as a sparsely populated singleplayer game. Anyone else feel this way?
    Worst troll ever.

Quote Originally Posted by grimhound View Post
    Anyone else feel this way?
    Nope.

People really will find anything to fucking complain about. Too bad I don't care because I quit the game because they made the hunter class color lime green and I think it would be SO much better had it been a grass-colored green.

I do not feel this way, to me the multiplayer aspect is more in pvp, dungeons and raids. I haven't noticed phasing interfering with meeting people out in the world of warcraft. I think it is a new way to tell a story.

It is possible that your server is just underpopulated and that is why you feel this way. Its also possible that you do different activities than me and thus are affected by phasing to a greater extent.

Actually I agree to an extent. It's not so much ruining the game as it does change it drastically. You won't be able to help lowbies with certain quests if you have already done them, ect.

It changes how people react with each other in guilds and possibly even dungeons / dungeon runs.

10+ Year Old Account
    I lost an eye reading this. pay my medical bills.

I think Phasing is a wonderful technology that does something that is seriously lacking in MMORPGs and that's world-effecting scenarios. If you saved the farmer's daughter from being killed by a Zombie the world remained unchanged. She would later return to being hunted by the Zombie, leaving you feeling like you aren't making an impact on anything in the game at all.

Deleted
    I think you'll find the vast majority of players are totally in favor of phasing. Some people just LOVE complaining I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by BoxofRox View Post
    Actually I agree to an extent. It's not so much ruining the game as it does change it drastically. You won't be able to help lowbies with certain quests if you have already done them, ect.

It changes how people react with each other in guilds and possibly even dungeons / dungeon runs.
    I loved helping lowbies, so that may be one of my issues with things. I always liked that the world felt somewhat constant. You could find a struggling group and help them. You could save people and feel good about yourself for doing it. And now? Nothing.

Gotta love all the people who think anything that differs from their opinion is a troll.

While I don't agree with the severity of the OP's sentiment, I share a lot of the same concern for phasing. If they really are phasing everything as much as they make it sound, leveling down the road will be really boring. Only seeing the one person who is at the exact same place in questing as you are while leveling an alt sounds pretty terrible.

I'm reserving final judgement for now, but it looks like they might have taken their "cool phasing technology" a little too far. I've run into quite a few problems in Icecrown with phasing... I can't imagine how bad it will be when the entire world is phased in more dramatic ways.

No i do not feel this way, and if i did i would not bother other people about what i think is good or not. i was around for when wow started heading down a casual road and you no longer needed a cult to raid anymore, thought they would never shutup about that one. bc hasn't destroyed wow like people said it would, wrath didn't destroy wow like people said it would...so what does that mean about cata?

Quote Originally Posted by PBitt View Post
    People really will find anything to fucking complain about. Too bad I don't care because I quit the game because they made the hunter class color lime green and I think it would be SO much better had it been a grass-colored green.
    Awesome line, seriously lol. If its true it's so so sad... but if it's not (which I think is the case) great way to mock this thread

10+ Year Old Account
    It is amazing, phasing really puts the icing on the top of the cake for me tbh.

*Normal* Ohh.. I saved an NPC but she's still there.. QQ

*Phased* I'm so glad I saved that NPC, now she doesn't spam the crap out of me asking for help that I've already given her.

Woo!

You be trollin' mon.