Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not talking from a Beta PoV and even that is irrelevant now. Things are still bugged, spells aren't max level and neither are the players. But on point:

The only way to make spells refresh like they want them to is to reduce the duration until you have enough haste to gain another tick(i think that's in a blue somewhere, if it isn't excuse my memory)

There are two more ways to do that
    * do nothing until you have enough haste to gain a tick
    0% haste - 15s duration - a tick every 3 seconds
    10% haste - 15s duration - a tick every 3 seconds
    15% haste - 15s duration - a tick every 3 seconds
    20% haste - 15s duration - a tick every 2.5 seconds
    This way is stupid. It will stop you from upgrading gear until you gain that extra tick. That's a bad way!
    * reduce the time between ticks and leave a gap at the end
    0% haste - 15s duration - a tick every 3 seconds
    10% haste - 15s duration - a tick every 2.8 seconds - 1 second gap at the end
    15% haste - 15s duration - a tick every 2.6 seconds - 2 seconds gap at the end
    20% haste - 15s duration - a tick every 2.5 seconds - 2.5 seconds gap at the end
    This way is even more stupid. Not only will it stop you from upgrading gear until you gain that extra tick but it will also leave a dead worthless space at the end. That's an even worse way!

Only problem with this way to handle DoT duration is that it will scale incredibly well with haste. Let's say that:
    0% haste - 15s duration - 6 ticks
    50% haste - 15s duration - 9 ticks
    50% haste just gave you 50% more damage without no consequence what so ever and without including other modifiers in this (crit, spell power, mastery). The more haste you have, the more damage you do in the same timeframe and - and that's the change from WotlK - with the same mana cost.
    That means you:
    - Life Tap less
    - throw more Shadow Bolts (because you LT less)
    - do even more damage (because you throw more SB)
    I think we'll start to gem straight haste as Affliction and love it!
    Originally Posted by Blizzard (Blue Tracker)
    Warlocks are hard.

15+ Year Old Account
    Yep. That's an explanation fail by GC. I'll paraphrase.

When reapplying a dot, you can no longer "Clip" the final tick. Instead, this will just [refresh the] duration [of] the spell [adjusted by crit, haste, and spell power changes], similar to how Everlasting Affliction currently works [where you never have a dead zone].

I hope that makes more sense. I did a lot of math trying to figure out the model before it was released. There were 2 problems with any alternative to what I have posted:
    1) Having the last tick of a spell not occur as the spell falls off causes the "quick, someone develop an addon so I can squeeze in more ticks" problem, which is a HUGELY BAD IDEA. This also applies to the concept of having a static duration on the spell (ie UA's 15s) and having ticks get added as you get more haste, but not shrinking the
    2) Having any time get added to a spell BEYOND the maximum duration (ie UA's 15s) changes how people will gear - certain values of haste become more desirable and forces the Warlock to skip obvious stat upgrades in order to maintain this haste level and get longer spells.

---------- Post added 2010-08-12 at 03:05 PM ----------

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...s-in-Cataclysm

Post I made back when this was announced (late April 2010)

Edit: Same post, official wow forums
    http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/th...Id=24401857375

---------- Post added 2010-08-12 at 03:07 PM ----------

Agreed Rave, gemming haste is something I look forward to. Watch them make the 85 coefficient something like 300 rating per 1% though

R.I.P. YARG

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gherkin View Post
    ]Agreed Rave, gemming haste is something I look forward to. Watch them make the 85 coefficient something like 300 rating per 1% though
    I don't mind that! The coefficient will be higher, no doubt, but we'll have more of it on our gear. You won't see gear with 100 haste and say "Oh, that's a lot of haste!", you'll rather go "Oh, why so little haste?"
    But 300 seems a bit much... haste is now ~33 rating = 1% so... around 50-60 rating = 1% at 85?

Even if the coefficient changes we'll still be around the same percent in raid gear at 85. If you're around 35-40% haste now then you'll be around 35-40% haste at 85%(if haste remains our second dps stat). It's just that the numbers giving you that percentage are bigger and i really don't look forward to having 655 haste and 783 crit on a pair of gloves...
    Warlocks are hard.

15+ Year Old Account
    The initial guess at numbers puts haste from gear at or below 10% in the first tier of content

R.I.P. YARG

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gherkin View Post
    at or below 10%
    Lol!
    Warlocks are hard.

Deleted
    Yeah, remember, our current numbers are deemed excessive. We're not even going to have them so large once we kill Deathwing.

15+ Year Old Account
    I will just use my goblin rocketjump belt and land smack on the boss squashing him. I dont need any spells cos I will be a goblin!
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

They simply allowed the mechanism to allow us to be competitive, and because it was easier than the fix we actually needed.
    Not unlike shard farming from dummies, which I believe was also unintended but due to acceptance of it being a horrible mechanism, it was still allowed.

Thank you for the clarification about the slight duration decrease.
    I had an arguement in another thread about that a while back.

15+ Year Old Account
    Bookmark this and use it for reference!

R.I.P. YARG

I believe there was a comment that it will be harder to cap stats such as haste etc, so actually that number may not be far off.
    Getting figures around the 30-40% haste may prove far more difficult to get in cataclysm than they are now, so making it a less attractive stat.

15+ Year Old Account
    From what I've read/mathed, the base 85 rate for each tier of content, providing you had "average gear" and did not stack stats was 10-15% base, 5% more per tier. T11 would put your haste and crit in the 10-15% range (unless you stacked one stat), and T12 would put you in the 15-20% range, then 20-25%. There was some discussion that it might be closer to 8% per tier, but thats up for debate.

Before raid buffs of course. Thus getting 100% haste would only be possible during procs AND bloodlust, and hitting crit cap would be basically impossible. Then they remove the -crit from resilience and just leave it as -dmg and -crit damage, and it all balances pretty nicely.

R.I.P. YARG

I'm going to miss having the most annoying starting rotation of any class having to do like 5 things before a fight actually begun...
    Hellfire Spyglass stack
    Potion pop
    life tap
    shadow bolt for 5% crit debuff
    UA for extra chance on 10% damage done
    CoA
    Filler shadow bolts... pray to god for the 4 pc proc, pop NMIC and finally roll your corruption...
    oh, how I love it...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    Getting figures around the 30-40% haste may prove far more difficult to get in cataclysm than they are now, so making it a less attractive stat.
    This won't make it a less attractive stat. The idea is that all stats will still be balanced in a strict sense, i.e. equivalent item level pieces would give comparable amounts of crit or haste (or whatever). The lower percentages would apply to all stats and should actually make them more attractive to a wider range of specs, since you'll much less quickly start hitting soft caps of one kind or another.

Based on the dot refresh mechanics haste should actually be even more attractive since at certain points we'll find it giving us more damage without increasing the number of gcds we have to spend. Score.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Garamor View Post
    I'm going to miss having the most annoying starting rotation of any class having to do like 5 things before a fight actually begun...
    Hellfire Spyglass stack
    Potion pop
    life tap
    CoA
    Filler shadow bolts... pray to god for the 4 pc proc, pop NMIC and finally roll your corruption...
    oh, how I love it...
    Could be worse - you could do all of this just to do worse than shamans, like in 3.2

R.I.P. YARG

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Garamor View Post
    Hellfire Spyglass stack
    Potion pop
    life tap
    CoA
    oh, how I love it...
    I think you're missing haunt btw. OT though, eradication will boost our haste nicely, if it stays the same. Also, rolling corruptions was a truly awful mechanic.

To clarify, I meant more that haste is a stat far better than crit except in rare circumstances.
    I didn't mean that it will not be attractive, just not the hugely superior option it is atm.
    Hoping that choosing between haste and crit is realistic, given similar numbers on items instead of a no-brainer.