MF and haste in Cata

Hello everyone, I need some enlightenment on how haste will affect MF in Cata.

So, the duration of the cast won't be changed but the ticks will start getting a shorter value in between them. If I understood the changes correctly (and excuse me if I did the reading wrong, on a vacation and don't have much time to read) at a certain haste amount we will be getting an extra tick within the 3 second cast time.

let's assume we get 1 tick after 0.5 secs, another at 1.5 sec and another at 2.5 with 0 haste,
    then at X haste we might get 1 tick after 0.3 secs, another at 1.1 secs another at 2 secs and another at 2.9 secs.

If we won't get an extra tick, then after the 3rd tick why not cancel cast to not waste a second and cast something else?

All I have stated might be based on a wrong assumption, if that's the case please do some little explanation on how it will all work.

thank you

from how i understand it for channeled spells the channel time gets lower and lower with haste until u get to the point that an extra tick is added then it goes back to the full channel time. of course i could be 100% wrong but thats how see it

Hmm then basically haste upgrades from gear won't be useful until it reaches a certain amount?
    Also at that certain amount of haste we will see that our general pace in a dps rotation feels slower than 1 haste rating before.
    it will be complicated for a while

Quote Originally Posted by Jervaise View Post
    Hmm then basically haste upgrades from gear won't be useful until it reaches a certain amount?
    Also at that certain amount of haste we will see that our general pace in a dps rotation feels slower than 1 haste rating before.
    Haste does benefit spells other than MF... so while that statement may be true for that spell its not true for all your DoTs, MB and Mind Freeze.

It's probably a bit early to understand just how much damage MF is worth just yet... if you go on the current model that MF is about 40% - 45% I guess you can mount a decent argument that a large proportion of haste will only scale in increments.

I'm undecided if that's a big issue... you have the ability to customise via gemming and reforging so you can turn a decent amount of haste to other desired stats if you reach a cap level and unable to get to the next. I guess the issue may arise where gear upgrades become hard to manage because you can only wear a new bit of gear once you get 3 or 4 items to get your stats balanced again. This is a similar issue to hit, however I don't hear people crying too much over hit juggling.

It's probably something that needs to be played with before you can make an informed opinion.

You read his post wrong, he's saying that he thinks haste will reduce the channeling time UNTIL you have enough haste to get the 4th tick, when you have said amount of haste the channeling time goes back to 3s and ahs 4ticks rather than say being 2.4s with 3ticks. At least that's how I read it.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfphyre87 View Post
    from how i understand it for channeled spells the channel time gets lower and lower with haste until u get to the point that an extra tick is added then it goes back to the full channel time. of course i could be 100% wrong but thats how see it
    This is correct.

Let's say (don't know the actual numbers) you get a new tick at 500 haste. Up till 499 rating the channel time would be reduced, then at 500 it jumps back to the original channel time and gets a new tick.

Quote Originally Posted by nevermore View Post
    This is correct.

Let's say (don't know the actual numbers) you get a new tick at 500 haste. Up till 499 rating the channel time would be reduced, then at 500 it jumps back to the original channel time and gets a new tick.

Yes, that is what I meant.

So today the more haste we have, we see the channeling time being reduced no matter at what haste point we are at. So the general pace, general speed and general "feeling" while dps'ing changes with every haste point we get. We start casting and finishing MF quicker than before.

However, if the changes are final, in cata when we reach *let's say 500 haste, we will see that our general speed feeling while dpsing will be slower that 499. Which will be weird for a while

Thanks for the answers

Deleted
    it still ticks faster per cast time

with 3000 haste your mindflay is still 3 seconds but with very very fast 14 ticks

Stood in the Fire
    15+ Year Old Account
    Yes, that is what I meant.
    However, if the changes are final, in cata when we reach *let's say 500 haste, we will see that our general speed feeling while dpsing will be slower that 499. Which will be weird for a while
    Yup it might be weird for a while lol

Let's say with 0 haste you cast MF 9 times per minute (I'm takeing random numbers here), you'll get 9x3 = 27 ticks of damage.
    If you got the assumed 500 haste, you'll cast MF 9 times per minute (since the duration will be the same again). This results in 9x4 = 36 ticks of damage. (in this example I didn't count the fact that haste also affects the other spells but you might even be able cast 1 or more extra MF's in the minute).

If you wanted to do the same damage from MF only with 0 haste, you'd have to cast MF 36:3 = 12 times.
    So basicly it would save mana and increase DPS.
    I think it will be very nice to know the caps for haste for an extra tick so you can use reforging to reach that cap and then keep it there for a while before stacking more haste.
    This will make it less weird (more big jumps in haste so it wouldn't feel that different).

Sounds like a good change :P

Im liking this Machine gun MF mechanism.. go go tons of haste and 10 ticks a cast

Quote Originally Posted by Zelol View Post
    Im liking this Machine gun MF mechanism.. go go tons of haste and 10 ticks a cast
    There are some people who calculated the necessary Haste for a 5th tick, it's like 1800ish if I'm correct. So those numbers are not realistic.