Thread: Laptop

Laptop

Hi!

I'd like an advice on new computer. I have changed my colleage and wil lstart visiting architecture classes in the fall. Now I've heared I need a rather strong PC for it, and judging from my friend's experiencem a laptop is almost a necessity. The computer is supposed to run autoCAD, photoshop and several other programs SIMULTANIUSLY, and from what I've heared that requiers a monster PC.

I would also like to play certain games on it, and I really cba replacing the computer anytime sooner then in 4 years.
    I was thinking about fetching ALienware MX 11, but I aint sure how good it fares, the screen size aint really a problem, since I'll use external monitor when at home.

If you know of any better choice of laptop please notify me. I'm looking in a price rane from 900-1300 euros, since I cant afford anything more expensive atm :S

Thanks for your help in advance.
    You are the harbringer of death, Kara Thrace. You will lead them all to their end.

10+ Year Old Account
    Alienware is really overpriced only for a cool looking case. The parts in that comp wasn't overly impressive either, the slow memory will gimp photoshop.

Just took a quick search and found a "Acer Aspire TimelineX 5820TG" that I believe will work better.

Hm... but from what I've seen Acer Aspire TimelineX 5820TG has lower graphic memory, and from the reviews I've read, people state it's performance lacks, and that in general MX11 still outperforms it :S

---------- Post added 2010-08-19 at 09:24 AM ----------

Are there any other "gaming" laptops in this price range? Exceptional responses are rewarded with 500g on THe Maelstrom (EU)
    You are the harbringer of death, Kara Thrace. You will lead them all to their end.

I don't know where you live in Europe, but usually, for the pricerange from 1000 Euros up you get far more decent systems than the Alienware.

Best bang for the buck ist undiscussed: Google for Medion Akoya X7811 (no links allowed :sadpanda:
    Allthough Medion isn't really known for its quality, this specific laptop is a 1:1 copy to MSI GX740, but costs around 400€ less.

Enough RAM, fastest single GPU available (disregarding the GTX 480m, which isn't really "available" now), I7 cpu.

From my point of view, I'd pick an i7 (Autocad & PS like more cores), enough Ram (4Gig will do, ofc. more helps more) and a decent GPU. You won't really see alot of battery life on this machine, but theres a plug somewhere most of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Khalelia View Post
    I don't know where you live in Europe, but usually, for the pricerange from 1000 Euros up you get far more decent systems than the Alienware.

Best bang for the buck ist undiscussed: Google for Medion Akoya X7811 (no links allowed :sadpanda:
    Allthough Medion isn't really known for its quality, this specific laptop is a 1:1 copy to MSI GX740, but costs around 400€ less.

Enough RAM, fastest single GPU available (disregarding the GTX 480m, which isn't really "available" now), I7 cpu.

From my point of view, I'd pick an i7 (Autocad & PS like more cores), enough Ram (4Gig will do, ofc. more helps more) and a decent GPU. You won't really see alot of battery life on this machine, but theres a plug somewhere most of the time.

I live in Slovenia, and we don't have a distributer for it here, but that aint a prob, sicne I'll probably get it on intewebz anyway. This shizzle looks cool. Anything else along these lines?

15+ Year Old Account
    I'm pretty much with this. Regardless of brand or model, I'd suggest an i7 and decent discrete GPU (especially if you want to game on it). I would probably suggest 6-8GB RAM, though, since you're looking at running autoCAD and Photoship simultaneously. Both are huge memory hogs, so more really wouldn't hurt in your scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by Graverot1991 View Post
    I live in Slovenia, and we don't have a distributer for it here, but that aint a prob, sicne I'll probably get it on intewebz anyway. This shizzle looks cool. Anything else along these lines?
    You can buy those only online anyway. There is some sort of webpage for Medion slovenjia, but as I don't understand Slovenian, I can hardly say if its a help or not.

Currently, you won't get a better laptop for this price. As I know not too many here speak German, Short facts:
    I7 720 QM
    4Gig RAM
    radeon HD 5870 1Gig GDDR5

Useful stuff as DVB-T tuner, win 7 as 32 AND 64 Bit Versions on Disk

for 1049€. A comparable Asus or MSI would be at least at 400€ more. Battery should last an hour or so under maximum stress, but you know, its like with cars: Power needs fuel.

This laptop will last for some time, I can't tell if its 4 years, but it will run WOW on ultra, and shouldn't have too many problems with upcoming games.

I'll agree with Cilraaz: More memory would be nice. But, with RAM is cheap as hell, I don't see any trouble there.
    Last edited by Khalelia; 2010-08-19 at 04:46 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    You can buy those only online anyway. There is some sort of webpage for Medion slovenjia, but as I don't understand Slovenian, I can hardly say if its a help or not.

Currently, you won't get a better laptop for this price. As I know not too many here speak German, Short facts:
    I7 720 QM
    4Gig RAM
    radeon HD 5870 1Gig GDDR5

Useful stuff as DVB-T tuner, win 7 as 32 AND 64 Bit Versions on Disk

for 1049€. A comparable Asus or MSI would be at least at 400€ more. Battery should last an hour or so under maximum stress, but you know, its like with cars: Power needs fuel.

This laptop will last for some time, I can't tell if its 4 years, but it will run WOW on ultra, and shouldn't have too many problems with upcoming games.

I'll agree with Cilraaz: More memory would be nice. But, with RAM is cheap as hell, I don't see any trouble there.
    The core i7 620m is better than the 720QM for WoW

Quote Originally Posted by pangeltveit View Post
    The core i7 620m is better than the 720QM for WoW
    Very true.

But the OP wants to have Photoshop & AutoCAD at the same time, which (especially on architecture requirements) kill a dual core. Therefore, Quadcore is the way to go, even though the 620m would be a bit better for WOW.

Well thanks alot for the feedback, I guess I'll go with Medion. Although the Slovenian site is something bout developing photos

10+ Year Old Account
    Very true.

But the OP wants to have Photoshop & AutoCAD at the same time, which (especially on architecture requirements) kill a dual core. Therefore, Quadcore is the way to go, even though the 620m would be a bit better for WOW.
    the i7 620m is a dual core, yes. but it has 2 threads for each physical core technically making it a quad core.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pangeltveit View Post
    the i7 620m is a dual core, yes. but it has 2 threads for each physical core technically making it a quad core.
    Yes, it has 4 logical cores. The i7 720QM has 8 logical cores. Still better for autoCAD and Photoshop. So it's really up to what the OP's needs are.

Moblie processors suck for wow due to low clock speeds.

The quad core i7m processors have a turbo boos feature that turns off one core and up clocks the remaining 3 cores giving you a solid clock speed on 3 cores - wow only needs 3 cores and loves clock speed making this the best current solution for mobile processors and wow.

Video is a Palit GTS450. Main display is a 24" full HD TV. Secondary display is an ACER 19" lcd at 1440x900.

10+ Year Old Account
    Try looking at some Asus or Qosmio. Both are good for gaming and have great specs.