Thread: I wonder ....

I wonder ....

Basically in my drunken haze one night I was matching around different sets of gear including my pvp and pve stuff and found that if I in full pve gear I had:

3163sp (unbuffed), 340 hit rating, 29.96% crit and 881 haste

however by swapping in the ToC 10 OH, the pvp bracers for the crafted ToC ones and pvp neck piece for the one off ICC10 saurfang I had:

3168sp 320 hit 26.57% crit and 953 haste

so overall gaining 5 sp and 72 haste but losing 20hit (didn't really need it) and losing 3.39% crit.

Now what I'm wondering is this worth it or not? Would I overall be better off using the pve pieces and get crit or use pvp pieces and get haste?

As an afflic lock I have been under the impression that haste>crit these days (except perhaps crit rating and rolling corruption)I've tried a few times of running it through simcraft and got varying results each time (even with the same gear sets) so I spose I'm asking the community on their thoughts regarding this and before you ask no this is not a crusade for a higher gearscore (in fact I don't even have the addon installed at all) I am strictly looking at stats.

Well, if simc isn't showing a clear winner, I doubt there's much in it. A point of haste is better than a point of crit for affliction but "lots" of crit is usually better than "some" haste - simc will show you the relative weights for each under the options you're choosing to test with.

You might find that altering the simc options to change the sim circumstances will give one set a clear lead under certain conditions. Haste tends to be very strong when set to low latency, elite, patchwerk fights (the default), while crit gains on high latency, < elite, helter skelter fights. While it's nicer to see bigger numbers sticking to the defaults isn't necessarily going to give you the optimum weightings (unless you're only intending to fight Patchwerk 'leetly on a low latency connection, of course).

Deleted
    It's also worth remembering, just for the sake of clarity, that the crit rolling mechanic does not benefit from higher levels of static crit (i.e. crit on gear). The dps gained from crit rolling is a result of artificially prolonging the effects of temporary stat/damage gains, the crit that corruption takes from your static ratings would be there regardless of rolling.

In fact, crit rolling reduces the value of static crit vs other stats. Say, for instance, that you have 20% crit before any gains, your corruption does an average 2k dps (factoring in this crit) and you can boost your crit by 30% to roll.

This increases your corruptions dps to 2000 x 150/120 = 2500

If, however, you have 50% crit before any gains, your corruption does an average 2k dps and you can boost your crit by 30% to roll. Then your corruption's dps is increased to 2000 x 180/150 = 2400

tl;dr: if your non-rolling dps doesn't decrease when you drop crit, then your rolling dps will increase.