High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account

Overclocking, Is this Good or Bad

Is 74c too much heat? Im pretty sure they say keep it under 75.
    I have a Asetek 510LC Liquid Cooling System 120MM Radiator, cooling the CPU.

Opinions welcome.

Edit: Would upgrading to a 240mm radiator help at all and/or is it needed?

Edit2: I was using a cpu stress test called prime95 using highest heat output, just an fyi.
    Last edited by Prognxt; 2010-08-28 at 09:08 AM.

74C is a lot for water cooling, considering you arent even overclocking that much. Something fishy there I think.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

that is WAY to hot onless you are running a strees test on the pics

your miltiplier is allso to high. with that speed set your multiplier to 19 and bclk to 190. that should give a way better temp and you can lower your voltage. the higher mutiplier you have the voltage the cpu needs.

atm. im running 3.6 Ghz with mutiplier on 19. blck on 192. Vcore on 1.3125. RAM voltage 1.65625(had some temp problems with my corsair 800d. but now i have my new fans for the case, so im going 4,0 Ghz againe)

in wow with my h50 im sitting on 35-40 degrees and on strees test im sitting on 65 degrees

when it was clocked to 4,0 Ghz i was sitting on 40-45 degrees in wow and 70-75 degrees in prime95 strees test
    AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 C30 : PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 GRE Hellhound OC: CORSAIR HX850i: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: fiio e10k: lian-li pc-o11 dynamic XL:

Those temps are fine. i7s can handle up to 90C. Although, it is a little high for water cooling. Do you have a push/pull setup with your fans and did you properly apply a high quality thermal paste?

I just noticed your voltage. 1.3 is overkill for 3.6Ghz. Around 1.2 will suffice.
    Last edited by Riloux; 2010-08-28 at 11:20 AM.

Those aren't dangerous temperatures, but you should expect better results with water cooling. On the topic of stability testing, Intel Burn Test tends to get the highest temperatures, so you might try that. It also allows you to get an idea of whether or not your system faster than Prime 95.
    Last edited by Lumb; 2010-08-28 at 12:19 PM.

Those temps are completely crap for the amount of overclocking you are doing.

15+ Year Old Account
    The temps are extremely high, especially for water cooling. I get lower temps at a higher overclock on air cooling with my i5 750. Most likely, it's due to (as said above) cranking up the multiplier instead of the base clock. Look at moving the base clock up and bringing down the multiplier. If you locked in at 160MHz due to having 1600MHz RAM, then try something like 200MHz base clock at 19x multiplier with a 2:8 RAM multiplier. You might have to fiddle with your VTT/QPI/IMC voltage to keep it stable, though. At that point, you can move higher or lower as needed.

It's also possible that the TIM wasn't applied properly, causing problems with heat transfer.

Quote Originally Posted by Cilraaz View Post
    The temps are extremely high, especially for water cooling. I get lower temps at a higher overclock on air cooling with my i5 750. Most likely, it's due to (as said above) cranking up the multiplier instead of the base clock. Look at moving the base clock up and bringing down the multiplier. If you locked in at 160MHz due to having 1600MHz RAM, then try something like 200MHz base clock at 19x multiplier with a 2:8 RAM multiplier. You might have to fiddle with your VTT/QPI/IMC voltage to keep it stable, though. At that point, you can move higher or lower as needed.

It's also possible that the TIM wasn't applied properly, causing problems with heat transfer.
    Looks like your multiplier is to high. Just because it goes up that high doesn't mean its optimal. I would lower the multiplier and bump up the base clock. Do it in increments so you get the best results. I posted a good guide on here search forums. The guide is mostly geared for I7 users.

Here is the link http://www.overclockers.com/3-step-g...core-i3-i5-i7/
    Last edited by Dethh; 2010-08-28 at 02:08 PM. Reason: spelling

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Okay, thanks for all the replies, I knew something wasn't right because I'm pretty sure I should be able to bump the clock up to 4ghz on water cooling, but I knew something wasn't right when I saw the 74c.

---------- Post added 2010-08-28 at 09:11 AM ----------

Also, My cpu idles around 38c, I know thats good and I hardly ever see a game push it past 50% cpu usage. But hopefully I'll have this fixed soon.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Prognxt View Post
    Okay, thanks for all the replies, I knew something wasn't right because I'm pretty sure I should be able to bump the clock up to 4ghz on water cooling, but I knew something wasn't right when I saw the 74c.

---------- Post added 2010-08-28 at 09:11 AM ----------

Also, My cpu idles around 38c, I know thats good and I hardly ever see a game push it past 50% cpu usage. But hopefully I'll have this fixed soon.
    38*C is actually a bit high for idle. I idle around 34*C. What TIM are you using and what application method did you use?

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cilraaz View Post
    38*C is actually a bit high for idle. I idle around 34*C. What TIM are you using and what application method did you use?
    Im not exactly sure about the TIM, nor about the application method.

I'm still very obviously new to overlocking.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Prognxt View Post
    Im not exactly sure about the TIM, nor about the application method.

I'm still very obviously new to overlocking.
    This wasn't a home build?

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    No got it from a company called cyberpower and i don't think their the reason my computer runs so hot. The more and more I think about it.... my case is kinda crammed in a tight space, here isn't much airflow.

15+ Year Old Account
    There doesn't need to be airflow for a water cooled system. So long as the radiator has access to clean, cool air, then you're fine.

Mehh from 34 to 38 it's very easy to be just a variation in ambient temperature, either way a 120mm rad system it's not a performance unit, even the best units compete with the air cooled systems, that said if the radiator is in the back 120mm exhaust fan sucking hot air from inside the case unless the case has a good flow of air it will preform poorly, specially these kind of units tend to not preform very well in negative pressure cases, for example corsair recommends installing the H50 sucking air from the outside to circumvent these problem... although it creates another.
    What is your case btw?

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Case is a AZZA Solano 1000 Full-Tower.

The radiator exhaust is less than 2' away from a panel. After 2-3 minutes of CPU stressing I can put my hand back there and feel a few degrees higher than ambient room temperature, and thats not right next to the exhaust fan, its near the intake fan at the side of my case.

However I do think that there is some cheep TIM on my cpu, until I can get some more parts, I'm most likely going to run it at a lower clock for awhile, I don't have any games that will utilize 4ghz anyway.

as i said before. your multiplier is way to high. lower it and up your blck speed to 190 and yout mutiplier to x19

you have a way to hot a temp and your Asetek 510LC Liquid Cooling System is defently installt wrong or your TIM needs to be checked
    AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 C30 : PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 GRE Hellhound OC: CORSAIR HX850i: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: fiio e10k: lian-li pc-o11 dynamic XL: