Counter-strike is a POS

I haven't played CS in about 4 years so I started it up today to try it out. I press 5 to auto assign team like I always do and I start with $800 so I run around with my pea shooting glock. First I hit a guy 11 times for 98 damage. Annoying. Then after a couple of rounds of losing I realize that the teams are 8 vs 5 in favor of the other team and one of our guys is afk. So its 8 v 4. And the server isn't balancing the teams. And since we're losing every round we only get to buy a gun every other round. Of course the score is 14 v 0, like every map in the history of CS. Suddenly I remembered why I hated that games guts.

I don't want to play wow because I'm going to school full time and it'll distract me too much but I'd like something like CS to play once in a while. What would you guys recommend? I haven't played anything thats come out in the past 4 years (since I started wow).
    Drunk toddlers in a dryer

Play Team Fortress 2 by Valve, which you can buy on Steam. Its a great FPS game with different playable classes, great servers, Valve Time updates, and unlockable weapons and achievments...oh, and Hats, can't forget hard-to-get Hats.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Team_Fortress_2 For information.
    http://tf2wiki.net/wiki/Special:Search?search=Meet+the The "Meet the..." videos made by Valve to introduce some of the classes and it lets you get a vague understanding of the themes of the game and Valve's humor.
    Thrall: AND I need your calm mind keeping some amount of peace between Horde and Alliance, in case--
    Garrosh: Get away from me, you dwarf runt! Do I look like a questgiver to you?
    Thrall: Well, something like that, for example.
    Garrosh: You want a quest? How about a fetch quest? Go fetch my axe! (distant yelp) It's over there, stuck in your flight master.

Fan Game: Warcraft - Deathwing's Assault

Deleted
    left4dead

imho Call of Duty 4 is the best fps available for the pc atm (yes, modern warfare2 is rubbish)

Learn to aim?

Also BC2 and TF2 craps all over CoD4 and MW2.

- Call of Duty
    - Team Fortress 2
    - Battlefield
    - Quakelive
    - Warsow

Quote Originally Posted by xakosch View Post
    imho Call of Duty 4 is the best fps available for the pc atm (yes, modern warfare2 is rubbish)
    I played Cod4 and it sucks compared to CSS even with the state CSS is in now.

All the problems the OP wrote comes down to server settings and proper configuration.
    Set your rates properly, and find a good server with good config.

For example i play on 3 servers.
    One server is balanced for me, shots are registered fairly well, and the crowd is OK.
    Other is hard. Hard to shoot people and the crowd is annoying, but i go there sometimes because the admins are nice.
    The third server is like... i keep the button pressed and 4 people die from headshots... still they can't shoot me.

So yeah it all depends on server config.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Raqubor View Post
    I played Cod4 and it sucks compared to CSS even with the state CSS is in now.

All the problems the OP wrote comes down to server settings and proper configuration.
    Set your rates properly, and find a good server with good config.

For example i play on 3 servers.
    One server is balanced for me, shots are registered fairly well, and the crowd is OK.
    Other is hard. Hard to shoot people and the crowd is annoying, but i go there sometimes because the admins are nice.
    The third server is like... i keep the button pressed and 4 people die from headshots... still they can't shoot me.

So yeah it all depends on server config.
    What this guy said!

The beauty of CSS is the amount of different modes available, and if you join a clan or participate in a community, it is awesome.

*cheap plug* My CSS clan's site: www.geclan.net My suggestion is to try surf, zombie escape or prison break servers (if you join a prison break server play as a T until you know the rules).

I'm an old school CS player(Started during Beta something or other around 1999). I had a 3.6:1 lifetime KD ratio with over 10k kills on the clan server I played on. I originally quit because It got me too worked up. I was going to have a heart attack or kill someone. 4 years later I remembered all the good times and not the bad but once I restarted it all came back to me. Mostly just the team stacking but there are also too many bugs/design problems.

Anyway, I used to love Team Fortress so I'll have to give TF2 a shot. Thanks for the suggestions all. (except deladeu, he can go die in a fire with the rest of the trolls)
    Drunk toddlers in a dryer

Bfbc2