Disc Priests not using rep ring?

was just checking the Paragon priests, and was wondering why they dont use the rep ring?

Anyone got an answer to this?

Because it doesn't have Crit? That's the only thing I can come up with.
    Quote Originally Posted by Precursor View Post
    "Fall of therzane....." ....um what? if that woman fell , god help us it will be the second cataclysm
    Words that lots of people don't seem to know the definition of:
    "Troll", "Rehash", "Casual", "Dead", "Dying", "Exploit".

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vook View Post
    Because it doesn't have Crit? That's the only thing I can come up with.
    Can I have a link? I can tell you if I see what they are using instead.

It's almost always a bad idea to copy hardcore end game guilds as they are geared towards the one (or two) specific hard mode encounters that still can pose a challenge. Unless of course, you are on the same content (11/12 Heroic on 25, or something).

The proc.

If you shield people with the proc up, you can't re-shield them because "a more powerful spell is already active".

Malm <Apex> @ EU-Al'Akir

Stream: http://www.twitch.tv/malmlive

15+ Year Old Account
    Well, if we consider the fight Heroic Lich King as the fight that Paragon is most concerned about (though, seeing as they are in fair gear and have a 30% bonus on top of what they initially had since their first kill), then Disc Priests want to do "bridging" which is their shield popping for mana regain. In that case, it's not really ideal to refresh the shield, is it?

edit: Anyway, I want to see the link. The alternatives I can think of are:

http://www.wowhead.com/?item=50610 - Marrowgar's Frigid Eye 277

http://www.wowhead.com/?item=54585 - Ring of Phased Regeneration 284

http://www.wowhead.com/?item=50664 - Ring of Rapid Ascent 277
    Last edited by Ultima; 2010-08-31 at 04:10 AM. Reason: Justice

http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sh...ade&cn=Jhazrun

http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sh...+Blade&cn=Ande
    I know he is in holy spec, but gemming and gear looks like disc, so i assume he is using the same in his disc spec.

http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sh...de&cn=Preaches

The reason why i were looking at them is because we just started out progress on LK hc, and i wanted to see how the pro priests was gearing for the end game

But it looks like they all are using Ring of Maddening Whispers and Memory of Malygos.
    Yesterday i had a problem with the ring proc and my shields on LK hc. If my ring procced and i started shielding the raid, my shields were too strong for them to break - but if there was no ring proc, my shields were just perfect. Guess that could be one of the reasons? For maximum control of their shields.

15+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for the spam lads.

Anyway, I think you may be right Juized. With their Spell Power, 30% buff and such, their shields may be too strong to bridge.

Deleted
    Umm your wrong in saying there gear looks like disc, look at some of the items.. too much haste, there using the tier legs with haste, haste chest, haste neck, haste back, one has trauma mace and well they all look holy that was made to go disc for a encounter, as for the gemming SP is good for holy also even more at endgame gear.
    What they should be using is all teir peices minus the legs or gloves (removing a haste teir item) getting as much crit gear and keeping around 11% haste, though depending on there roll and the spells they use this changes of course.
    Though not using the ring i am abit confused but they should be downranking sheilds on Lk infest as its the correct thing to do if you absorb too much which will 100% be the problem if you are end game geared.
    Last edited by mmocab1f42e3ae; 2010-09-01 at 02:21 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    There's nothing wrong with a lot of Haste as Discipline. Borrowed Time doesn't have 100% up-time.

Quote Originally Posted by Rein View Post
    Umm your wrong in saying there gear looks like disc, look at some of the items.. too much haste, there using the tier legs with haste, haste chest, haste neck, haste back, one has trauma mace and well they all look holy that was made to go disc for a encounter, as for the gemming SP is good for holy also even more at endgame gear.
    What they should be using is all teir peices minus the legs or gloves (removing a haste teir item) getting as much crit gear and keeping around 11% haste, though depending on there roll and the spells they use this changes of course.
    Though not using the ring i am abit confused but they should be downranking sheilds on Lk infest as its the correct thing to do if you absorb too much which will 100% be the problem if you are end game geared.
    Nothing wrong with the haste any of those linked priests have.
    At 650ish (can't remember the exact number), you can get 4 GCDs without using borrowed time in a penance CD.

And H Trauma is excellent for disc priests, sure it doesn't proc as much as for say a Resto Druid, it will still do 1-3% of overall heals for a particular fight, and to get that sort of figures using other weapons you need massive amounts of spellpower

Haste is way better than Spellpower for holypriest at endgame level.

But thanks for all the reply's, think ive got an answer to my question
    "Can't do that while stunned"
    "Can't do that while stunned"
    "Can't do that while stoned"

Yeah, as a disci priest I can say that on heroic LK I will swap out my proc ring for a non-proc ring just to ensure I can continue abusing rapture. It's certainly a great ring though! Don't worry if you don't have a 277/284 alternative.

Deleted
    After reading this, I replaced my proc ring with the ring from LDW; found that worked really well for keeping rapture up.

I personally no longer use the rep ring for either holy or disc. For Holy, I feel that the extra SP from the SP proc does little more than cause extra overhealing. Plus, it is incredibly annoying when it prevents you from overwriting your own HoTs before they expire because the current HoT was applied while the proc was up. For example, if someone has a renew on them with 2 secs left and are about to be ice tombed on Sindy, I want to get another renew on them, but could be prevented from doing so. I hate SP procs for healing; I can't stand tailoring as a profession for this reason; for healing you want consistent output instead of random procs.

For Disc, not being able to replace a shield that is about to expire or break is even worse, especially on H LK.

For Holy, I use Memory of Malygos 277 and Marrowgar's Frigid Eye 277. When you compare Marrowgar's Frigid Eye to the rep ring (which is what I would swap out if I wanted to use it), the Marrowgar ring has 14 more SP (counting socket bonus), 9 more haste, 5 more INT and 5 more STA at the cost of 2 mp5 and the proc. The proc has about 10% uptime, so is worth around 28 SP. Honestly, as holy, I would rather have 14 extra static SP and 9 extra haste than an unreliable proc.

For Disc, I use Memory of Malygos and Incardine Band of Mending 277. I want to eventually get either the LDW ring or the Gunship ring to use instead of Memory of Malygos. The headaches caused by the "this spell already exists" error just isn't worth the benefit of the proc, which nets out to an average of 14 extra SP.

That said, it's probably only worth ditching the rep ring if you have 2 other 277 rings to replace it with.

I've never had problems with overriding my Renews on Sindy while using the rep ring. In fact, come to think of it, I don't have trouble overriding my PWS when I run Disc for HLK either. The only time I ever have trouble is when I'm trying to override a shield that hasn't absorbed anything, but I only run into that when I'm using B&S to run back from a wipe.

Also, you're undervaluing the proc on the ring. According to Wowhead, it has a 60s ICD and a 10% proc chance, so even going with a very conservative average proc of 15s, that's an average of 38 SP which, even given that it's a proc, I think compares favorably to 14 SP and 9 Haste.

That said, I do still wish they'd made the proc a bit more healer friendly, like perhaps a chance for a random heal or aoe heal (akin to Althor's Abacus or the RS healer trinket), but the SP proc isn't awful. In fact, interestingly enough, when paired with Lightweave, they tend to not proc simultaneously because of the different ICDs and proc rates, so I end up spending a decent portion of the time with some sort of SP proc active which, I think, makes both a little more useful.

15+ Year Old Account
    I've never really had an issue with the proc ring on hc LK. Granted 1-2 may not break but the mana reduction isn't make or break for 1-2 peoples none rapture return. I tend to start bubbling, the second infest has ticked so shields are wearing off regardless even if I couldn't shield them when I did the rest I can do it before infest ticks again when PW: S has wore off naturally.

But yeah I guess if they don't want possible distracting things it might be wise to remove it for that fight.

You not know what you are talking about. Discipline haste cap 1012. Ande only have 751. Discipline definitely the spec he gear for. All SP gem with SP head gem. If gear that way as Holy is doing spec wrong. So dumb bring up 11% number too. Elitist Jerk number that they never correct. 11% haste pointless number as Discipline. Does nothing. 11% number made up because person at Elitist Jerk add 6% haste buff to haste rating instead of multiply. Haste cap with Borrow up only 154 haste. Only 4.7% haste. Not 11%. Stupid number so low no one gear for it. Borrow not up all the time. Unless regen problem should not stop haste until 1012. Only then avoid. Crit very bad for Discipline when Shield Spam and worse when not shield spam. Haste more than 154 useless for shield spam, but really great when not shield spam. Haste better than crit. SP better than both. Holy different. Haste better than SP.

Quote Originally Posted by Juized View Post
    was just checking the Paragon priests, and was wondering why they dont use the rep ring?

Anyone got an answer to this?
    I personally started gearing just for as much spell power as possible plus for gearscore (), so don't look at my gear or gemming if you're looking for the optimal efficiency, our priests pretty much stopped caring about efficiency after the first kill. If you can heal it once, you can do it always.

And answer for your question is that in holy spec you get more spell power with malygos+maddening whispers, we don't like procs with icd:s which usefulness is very dependent on the situation and mostly goes to overhealing.

- Ande / Paragon

---------- Post added 2010-09-05 at 01:05 AM ----------

If I would concentrate on efficiency I would probably gear myself like this:

chardev.org/?profile=438431

This way you don't need to swap gear or anything when changing from holy to disc or other way around plus its highly efficient in both specs. With holy I would only spam pom+renew, coh+sol when useful. With disc I'd just spam shields+pom.

Here's one interesting holy gear+gemming plan I've been planning to try out just for the fun of it.

chardev.org/?profile=449596
    Last edited by Ande; 2010-09-05 at 12:08 AM.