Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Best PC controller?

I've had the wired xbox 360 controller for a while now, probably in 5 years I've had a couple, and I'm starting to want to use a keyboard and mouse because I just don't like the feel of it anymore. Anyone have a good experience with a controller on the PC? because I still prefer it for some game.

Deleted
    Definitely the Xbox 360 (wired) controller. Plug & play in 99% of the games that support controllers.

10+ Year Old Account
    I use the controller of my XB1, works perfectly.

Most games controller schemes are designed with Xbox 360 pad in mind, I use a PS3 pad though with mine.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

Hands down the Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS! (Amazon UK link).

I'm more a mouse and keyboard man myself, just cannot, for the life of me, get on with a controller - I feel like I have the co-ordination of a 1 year old when I try and use one.

I'm going to buy a Xbox controller too, but i'd use it only for fighting games, 2d platformers and some action games. Because my most played games are shooters, be them in first of third person i rage too much at aiming with an analog stick, so mouse + keyboard is still my most used control setup; too bad some games are still horrible to play with them (the recent RE4 remaster).
    Here was a level 85 Enhancement Shaman. Now there is just an epitaph.

10+ Year Old Account
    DS3 or Xbox360 gamepad, whichever is cheaper.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

10+ Year Old Account
    I use a Wii U Pro controller, much superior to the 360 pad. Waaaaay fucking better dpad too.
    Tikki tikki tembo, Usagi no Yojimbo, chari bari ruchi pip peri pembo!

10+ Year Old Account
    InputMapper with a PS4 controller is bliss for me.

It really comes down to what you like using, I have a friend who prefers that Wii U controller, and a friend who uses the XBOX ones. Meanwhile I prefer the PS4.
    We stopped searching for monsters under our beds when we realized that they were inside us.

Tell me something, my friend. You ever dance with the devil in the pale moonlight?

10+ Year Old Account
    Mouse and KB for most games. the XB controller is still preferable for certain types of games though. Sheesh, there are a LOT of games on PC I would NEVER try to use a controller for. Ew.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

Honestly, I used to use my PS3 controller. I decided to ditch that though because I was tired of using 3rd party programs to actually get it to work (And for some reason it wouldn't even work with Transistor at all, at least the joystick wasn't recognized), so I switched to a wired Xbox 360 controller. I really see no issue with sticking with it, it has the support built right in, and most games seem to by default use that controller anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by sinilaid View Post
    I use the controller of my XB1, works perfectly.
    Not completely.
    Microsoft have changed how the triggers behave now from the driver side in Windows 10 anyway, and that has broken support in some games.
    There are clunky fixes involving changing the drivers, but that is hit or miss.

I would stick with the 360 controller to be honest, as 3rd party options there should work too if you install the official Microsoft driver.
    That should give you alternative options for the "feel" while maintaining the same functionality and game support.
    My nephew is using the Afterglow 360 controller for instance on a windows 8.1 PC.
    Last edited by ComputerNerd; 2016-06-08 at 04:06 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

Xbox controller was the best I ever used. Ended up forking out for the elite controller which is amazing but not really worth the price point, a normal controller does the job.

Granted I only use a controller for maybe 10% of my gaming.

I rather enjoy my PS4 controller, personally.
    I'm a Kitsune! Not a cat, or a mutt!

The Patient
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stonecloak View Post
    I've had the wired xbox 360 controller for a while now, probably in 5 years I've had a couple, and I'm starting to want to use a keyboard and mouse because I just don't like the feel of it anymore. Anyone have a good experience with a controller on the PC? because I still prefer it for some game.
    Depends on the games you play and the controller feel really. Most games I can do keyboard + mouse better. Now I have some big hands and the Xbox controllers never seemed to fit right for me. I use a Playstation style wireless or just my Playstation 4 controllers for the games that seem to be more console based (Tomb Raider for example). If their batteries die or run low, I have an Nvidia Shield controller I can use as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuthe View Post
    InputMapper with a PS4 controller is bliss for me.

It really comes down to what you like using, I have a friend who prefers that Wii U controller, and a friend who uses the XBOX ones. Meanwhile I prefer the PS4.
    that's basically me. though most of the time I prefer keyboard/mouse combo, occasionally controller can be nice, especially if the game is console port and wasn't exactly optimized for keyboard.

mainly I prefer it over xbox due to its slightly smaller size and button/joystick configuration (I prefer everything symmetrical and have smallish hands) (that and I had an extra one anyways)

haven't tried any of the pc specific controllers

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    Not completely.
    Microsoft have changed how the triggers behave now from the driver side in Windows 10 anyway, and that has broken support in some games.
    There are clunky fixes involving changing the drivers, but that is hit or miss.

I would stick with the 360 controller to be honest, as 3rd party options there should work too if you install the official Microsoft driver.
    That should give you alternative options for the "feel" while maintaining the same functionality and game support.
    My nephew is using the Afterglow 360 controller for instance on a windows 8.1 PC.
    oh ok, I just haven't run into any problems yet

Quote Originally Posted by Turbotef View Post
    I use a Wii U Pro controller, much superior to the 360 pad. Waaaaay fucking better dpad too.
    Eh, trigger sensitivity is non-existent in areas that matter (i.e. Car speeds).
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

10+ Year Old Account
    I always found analog triggers pretty useless for driving games anyway so that really isn't a big loss nor do I play enough of those to care.
    Tikki tikki tembo, Usagi no Yojimbo, chari bari ruchi pip peri pembo!

Xbox 360 for it's plug n play simplicity.

However, with the right drivers and settings, I find the PS4 controller to be the best one I have ever used.