Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheshi View Post
    I can't till FFXIV wait to starts so I can leave the WoW community behind me.

I don't get it why some people that do not like SE or FF games try so hard to convince others that they shouldn't like it either. It is just an oppinion.

A smaller community does not mean it is a bad game, personaly I find the FFXI community the best there is.

It is hard to leave your first MMO, I still have FFXI account which was my fist MMO. But some day you may realize that there are games out there that are not as big as WoW, but are much more enjoyable (both social and gameplay).
    I really hope they get the problems fixed before the release and endgame content before I hit the level cap...

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    WoW fanNerdboys will always talk bad about other games other then WoW.. It's in their nature and they do it for every other game, for me I can't wait til FFXIV arrives so I can try it out.. I'll prolly still play WoW:Cata also for the sole purpose of PvP but other then that, the game is just meh

Quote Originally Posted by Cheshi View Post
    I can't till FFXIV wait to starts so I can leave the WoW community behind me.

I don't get it why some people that do not like SE or FF games try so hard to convince others that they shouldn't like it either. It is just an oppinion.

A smaller community does not mean it is a bad game, personaly I find the FFXI community the best there is.

It is hard to leave your first MMO, I still have FFXI account which was my fist MMO. But some day you may realize that there are games out there that are not as big as WoW, but are much more enjoyable (both social and gameplay).
    So, you're going to leave an immature community for another immature community, except that the one you're going to keeps trying to delude themselves into believing they're perfect? Newsflash: the communities of BOTH games are terrible. The difference is, the WoW community doesn't bother to hide it. Aurelius on the ZAM boards (the only real 'official' boards for FFXI and FFXIV) has proven how moronic the community is, in when he tried to show how SE could easily tap into the millions of potential buyers by making a few changes. The potential customers for FF:MMO? The millions that have purchased FFVII in the past, and every response -- despite never mentioning a damn thing about WoW -- from the FFXI community was "go back to WoW retard". The grass isn't greener, only how blind you are makes it appear to be.

I like SE games. Crisis Core was incredible and moving, and Kingdom Hearts series are pretty enjoyable, and most of the FF series were fun investments. I simply have a problem with the past four games of the series they've released. FFXII was nothing more than an offline version of FFXI, albeit with some of the best voice acting I've *ever* heard in a video game (too bad the storyline was an absolute piece of shit). FFXIII was eyecandy to boost sells and to show off their Crystal Tools engine; lots of pretty colors and effects, absolutely zero gripping gameplay or storyline with the absolute bare minimum of involvement in battle combat.

FFXI and FFXIV are my serious problems with the series -- they're fucking horrible. They're run by an egotistical bunch of xenophobic assholes that put the absolute bare minimum of effort into a game that's kept the company afloat for the past decade. Combat is so fucking *BORING* and uninvolved in both that SE should be utterly mortified that they force players to deal with an archaic system, with an archaic UI layout, and archaic mechanics. FFXIV's combat is NOTHING more than playing a fucking Rogue from WoW, except that you have the 'tactical advantage' of mashing your normal attack instead of just having the game use auto-attack. Oh yes, oh-so-much skill and difficulty, I know.

Then there's the looks of their online games. FFXI was already dated when it was in development, much less what it looks like now. FFXIV, despite having a fairly good looking engine (even if it's horrendously poorly coded), is nothing more than FFXI:HD and the monster models' wireframes have proven this. The actual look of the games is ugly as sin because for BOTH games they've consciously chosen the most boring color palettes possible. From a series where we get areas such as the Lunar Cave, Memoria, Lindblum, Zanarkand, and hell even some FFXII areas, they've decided to just pick the most boring colors and tiles to use for the online games. Hell, look at the damn Empire from the SNES FFVI, a sprite game that went for a realistic look, and realize it has more realistic and true-to-life colors than either FF MMO -- that is fucking sad.

It wasn't hard for me, at all, to leave my first MMO: FFXI. After killing Tiamat, King Behemoth, Kirin twice, and Bune on one day of endgame and getting NOTHING but crystals to drop, our entire LS gave SE the middle finger and left. Half of us went to WoW the other half went to EQ2 (to see if SoE got their shit together, but ended up joining us anyway). FFXI's endgame (even after I came back post ToAU to see what had changed) is the most boring I've ever seen in a game. X boss does A-E instant-kill attacks, has innately high auto-regen health, has ridiculous defense and magical defense sometimes, almost always has a breath attack, and the fights degenerate into either "Tank'n'Spank" or "Kite until dead". Fucking Molten Core is STILL more interesting than any boss fight SE has, and probably ever will, put out in their online games simply because they're too fucking in love with the idea of RNG deciding if you win a fight and not reaction times.

Frankly, SE should have just never attempted to go into the MMO market. Aside from a moronic, rabid community, they've done nothing to push the genre further.

Quote Originally Posted by Trematode View Post
    WoW fanNerdboys will always talk bad about other games other then WoW.. It's in their nature and they do it for every other game, for me I can't wait til FFXIV arrives so I can try it out.. I'll prolly still play WoW:Cata also for the sole purpose of PvP but other then that, the game is just meh
    Careful, your stupid is showing.
    Last edited by Viertel; 2010-09-14 at 06:19 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Viertel View Post
    So, you're going to leave an immature community for another immature community, except that the one you're going to keeps trying to delude themselves into believing they're perfect? Newsflash: the communities of BOTH games are terrible. The difference is, the WoW community doesn't bother to hide it. Aurelius on the ZAM boards (the only real 'official' boards for FFXI and FFXIV) has proven how moronic the community is, in when he tried to show how SE could easily tap into the millions of potential buyers by making a few changes. The potential customers for FF:MMO? The millions that have purchased FFVII in the past, and every response -- despite never mentioning a damn thing about WoW -- from the FFXI community was "go back to WoW retard". The grass isn't greener, only how blind you are makes it appear to be.

I like SE games. Crisis Core was incredible and moving, and Kingdom Hearts series are pretty enjoyable, and most of the FF series were fun investments. I simply have a problem with the past four games of the series they've released. FFXII was nothing more than an offline version of FFXI, albeit with some of the best voice acting I've *ever* heard in a video game (too bad the storyline was an absolute piece of shit). FFXIII was eyecandy to boost sells and to show off their Crystal Tools engine; lots of pretty colors and effects, absolutely zero gripping gameplay or storyline with the absolute bare minimum of involvement in battle combat.

FFXI and FFXIV are my serious problems with the series -- they're fucking horrible. They're run by an egotistical bunch of xenophobic assholes that put the absolute bare minimum of effort into a game that's kept the company afloat for the past decade. Combat is so fucking *BORING* and uninvolved in both that SE should be utterly mortified that they force players to deal with an archaic system, with an archaic UI layout, and archaic mechanics. FFXIV's combat is NOTHING more than playing a fucking Rogue from WoW, except that you have the 'tactical advantage' of mashing your normal attack instead of just having the game use auto-attack. Oh yes, oh-so-much skill and difficulty, I know.

Then there's the looks of their online games. FFXI was already dated when it was in development, much less what it looks like now. FFXIV, despite having a fairly good looking engine (even if it's horrendously poorly coded), is nothing more than FFXI:HD and the monster models' wireframes have proven this. The actual look of the games is ugly as sin because for BOTH games they've consciously chosen the most boring color palettes possible. From a series where we get areas such as the Lunar Cave, Memoria, Lindblum, Zanarkand, and hell even some FFXII areas, they've decided to just pick the most boring colors and tiles to use for the online games. Hell, look at the damn Empire from the SNES FFVI, a sprite game that went for a realistic look, and realize it has more realistic and true-to-life colors than either FF MMO -- that is fucking sad.

It wasn't hard for me, at all, to leave my first MMO: FFXI. After killing Tiamat, King Behemoth, Kirin twice, and Bune on one day of endgame and getting NOTHING but crystals to drop, our entire LS gave SE the middle finger and left. Half of us went to WoW the other half went to EQ2 (to see if SoE got their shit together, but ended up joining us anyway). FFXI's endgame (even after I came back post ToAU to see what had changed) is the most boring I've ever seen in a game. X boss does A-E instant-kill attacks, has innately high auto-regen health, has ridiculous defense and magical defense sometimes, almost always has a breath attack, and the fights degenerate into either "Tank'n'Spank" or "Kite until dead". Fucking Molten Core is STILL more interesting than any boss fight SE has, and probably ever will, put out in their online games simply because they're too fucking in love with the idea of RNG deciding if you win a fight and not reaction times.

Frankly, SE should have just never attempted to go into the MMO market. Aside from a moronic, rabid community, they've done nothing to push the genre further.

Someone seems agitated.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account

lol WoW fanboy at his best... May you save the world today from that fire-breathing dragon

Ok, incoming long post here.

I loved FFXI. It was my first MMO, showed to me by a friend (who was already close to level cap). From the moment I started, I was captivated by that game. The sense of "newness" from my first MMO was truly moving and engrossing. It was a good thing I didn't have much of a life back in high school, because most of my time went into that. I hit level cap with a job in it (equivalent of getting a character to 80) and I had a lot of fun. After a while, the thrill wore off, I was introduced to WoW by a different friend, and I gradually became aware of the various flaws in the game.

Fast forward to today. I have played WoW for a couple years now, have a few characters to 80, and am looking forward to Cata. Until a few months ago, I still played FFXI occasionally, but paying two monthly subscriptions was getting old, so I eventually just stopped with FFXI. However, a while ago, I was invited to the closed beta of FFXIV, and was really excited. I thought that it would be like a new FFXI, come to thrill me and engross me again. I can honestly say that I am very, very disappointed in the beta so far.

My first issue is the graphics. The game looks fairly nice, but there are lots of lag problems. I play WoW fullscreen on ultra resolution on my computer, and I can't even go full screen in FFXIV if I turn the graphics way down. Windowed and in medium graphics, the game still has moderate graphic lag. While the scenery is very nice looking, I was only awed for as long as it took me to notice how repetitive it all was.

Next up is the UI. Oh god, don't even bother playing this game unless you have and play with a dual stick gamepad. The keyboard commands are just that bad. Also, the menu system is so clunky and unintuitive it took me forever to figure it out to competency. Example: You want to interact with a treasure chest on the ground? Can't click on it or select it and hit enter, you have to move up to it, open the main menu, and scroll up to the interaction commands.

Combat. Was fun for the first 5 or so mobs I killed, got pretty old after that. The system is slow, clunky and imbalanced. It just has no flow to it. One of the reasons I loved FFXI was that even if each class had few abilities, they all felt very unique and(relatively)fun to play. In FFXIV, I felt that the difference between an archer and a fist fighter was one used fists and the other used bows, there was no difference in my play style. The abilities felt on par with something like sinister strike: slightly different animation, slightly more damage, no other effect. As for engaging in combat? Target something, lock on, draw your weapon (a different button press with a ~3 second delay), move up to it, use an attack command. Also, their active battle system felt like every class was a Rogue with very chunky energy regen. Finally, the mobs I fought came in two difficulties that I could find, after leveling up and exploring a bit: you can 3 shot it, or it will three shot you. There felt like there was no in between.

Basically, I am beyond disappointed with the beta so far. I had been looking forward to this for so long, and to see this kind of result is just heart breaking. I will look into the game a couple months after release, but remembering Square's horrible track record for listening to players, and their God complex, I won't hold my breath.

I'm not a fan of the way questing runs in FFIX, I think the game needs more work and isn;t exactly ready for release. It pretty but the whole menu system seems clunky is all.

Quote Originally Posted by Trematode View Post
    lol WoW fanboy at his best... May you save the world today from that fire-breathing dragon
    Actually, no. If you bothered to do more than sound like the typical SE fanboy you'd have read and know by now that I don't hold Blizzard that high in regard either (especially not since their new overlords). They simply have a more entertaining and better made product than Square-Enix.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshimoto View Post
    I'm not a fan of the way questing runs in FFIX, I think the game needs more work and isn;t exactly ready for release. It pretty but the whole menu system seems clunky is all.
    Yeah I know. That sword you got from rescuing Dagger from Kuja's clutches was really weak.

Yeah I know. That sword you got from rescuing Dagger from Kuja's clutches was really weak.
    yep, I'm retarded.

Nah, you have a sense of humor. That's more than you can say for most people

I was conflicted about Final Fantasy XIII, I loved FFVII and FFX, so I am not quite sure what I want. Final Fantasy X is my personal favorite franchise, this game ranks third on my list only from Final Fantasy VII and VIII.

Deleted
    i kinda disliked the endless grinding in the ff onlines not that wow wasnt a grind fest but too my feelings it went alot quicker

I've heard some horrible things about FF XIV..

like how you only have 8 hours a week to play... any more and you loose exp.

Horrible.

80 Kingslayer Shadow Priest - Spirestone
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...e&n=Direshadow

Quote Originally Posted by Direshadow View Post
    I've heard some horrible things about FF XIV..

like how you only have 8 hours a week to play... any more and you loose exp.

Horrible.
    This is actually an extreme and incorrect outlook on it.

Basically, Square-Enix has come up with a formula that they want to use to halt progression. The way it works is each class has "skill" (class experience basically) and your main character has physical exp. BOTH are capped at 8 hours of experience per week @ 100%, then reducing by 10% each hour until you've reached 0% after 15 total hours have passed. Switching to another class (via changing weapons) allows you to gain another 8 hours worth of experience, but your physical level (where your stat allocation comes from) is limited to 15 per week period whereas you have 8 hours worth of experience. In reality it's closer to 12.5 hours of experience (8 full hours + 2.5 hours due to diminishing returns across the final 7).

However, far be it from me to pass along false information, so let me make this clear.

This is not real-time hours.

SE has, like I stated, decided internally an experience gained per hour ratio that they believe is acceptable. No one knows as of yet what that ratio it, but imagine if through level range 10-20 they decided that 15K per hour was acceptable (let's just say, for example, going from level 10-11 is 12.5K EXP). So, if you average right along that 15 per hour, you'd end up having 8 'hours' worth of experience before you get DR. If you actually level faster, you end up with less 'time' budgeted and run into your fatigue faster -- if you level slower, you hit the wall not as quickly.

Ultimately, they're still telling you how to play in a game that you pay monthly to play. It's completely unacceptable, to be honest, and the people that happily accept the system also would accept it if SE decided to institute an money "fatigue" system.

Completely unacceptable? I can see how trying to curb players from playing 48 hours straight is really, really unacceptable.

And it isn't halting progression, far from it, because the leveling / combat system is designed so you benefit more from leveling several classes / jobs at the same time to mix and match skills and abilities from several different disciplines. All it does it encourage this and stop terrible players from racing to the level cap in the first week only to find they get their asses handed to them.

And I find it ironic that World of Warcraft players bitch about halted progression when both Sunwell and ICC were both designed so that they couldn't be finished for a very long time, not to mention MH / BT pre attunement nerf and AQ.

They did bitch about it, thus the removal of attunement. You could see it clearly when Blizz decided to gate ICC progression at the end of 2009.

I agree with Dyonos and Viertel's sentiments on the matter. I've played both FFXI and WoW to end game, FFXI was my first MMO and I was a total fanboy/brainwashed WoW-hater. Because I didn't know any better, I accepted that FFXI's mechanics were the standard and this is how it is. You spend 6 hours a day with a group of people (and their reps) in a shitty corner of a map killing fucking crabs and beetles and the occasional goblin so long as you didn't link them and suffer the EXP grind halting {Bomb Toss} and spend about 30 minutes recovering along with the associated xp loss and trauma. Do you know what you get to grind on at higher levels? More crabs and beetles! Oh and F you if you think you're bringing ::non-optimal xp class:: to Bhaflau, you better have a decked out warrior/monk/ninja/bard/sch.

It wasn't until I was completely burned out from Sky/Sea/Dynamis that I would give WoW a try and essentially LOVE every bit of the game even at low levels. I waited 2 YEARS to get my Assassin Armlets (TH4 plox) just so I could feel useful at "events" with my Treasure Hunter. They should have just given THF's a turkey baster that squirted out TH4 on mobs because that's basically what you're good for, let the true DPSers with their non-gimped main-hands do the work. When I finally got said artifact, I was double boxing on WoW and leveling in Arathi Highlands on my priest. My reaction was like "Oh.. isn't that nice" knowing that I'd probably be quitting within a month.

That's the other thing, it seemed whenever you got _____ thing you've waited 2-5 years to get, that person would George Constanza on out of the game, and who could blame them? The game is so grindy and so boring and frustrating. I had high hopes for FFXIV because I do like the FF series and was getting tired of WoW. I stopped raiding hardcore after (WoTLK) Naxx and went casual. I still feel like I can do everything the game has to offer without the 3 hour group setup and getting there alive shit you had to deal with in XI. 90% of that game was spent walking/running, 9% standing around in a room full of dragonflies spamming a taunt macro on a dragon that appears once a week that may or may not show up, and you may or may not get to fight, and 1% having actual fun.

Those "end game" HNM's pissed me off too, you're not alone with the "oh look a wind crystal!" loot. We could have saved some time and one-shot a flamingo instead of farming everything to pop Kirin. Sometimes you wouldn't even get a drop and get 17 other people spamming "lolTH4". Anyways, I sure as hell will not be getting FFXIV, at least not until about 6 months pass when they add an endgame and I can ask all of my friends playing if it's even worth it.

WoW has it's flaws and I do think it's dumbed down its gaming populace with how easy things are. I do like being able to queue for dungeons and stuff, but if you do a pug raid, or even a slightly difficult heroic, you'll quickly discover who the drooling mouth-breathers are in your group. I hear that Cata's dungeons are difficult and that pleases me, I like a challenge, I like setting up pulls (I lead a dynamis guild and was the main puller) and holding intelligent people accountable for maintaining CC else face a wipe. I'm very excited to be in a good guild with players like myself who don't take everything seriously, but can, for the most part execute a strategy well.

For now, FFXIV looks to be a big disappointment from what I've read here and heard from my friends in the beta. I've never liked their battle system and not being able to jump still makes me sad. Oh a mob!! ::engage:: ::drawing weapons for an eternity:: ::gets rofflepwned by a whirlwinding rabbit:: I've had enough of that.
    Last edited by Bummerbear; 2010-09-21 at 03:28 PM.

Trying to stop progression in an MMO is like trying to stop a train with ... your body.

It's not going to work. I know a few people who have canceled their orders for this new FF because of this fact.

80 Kingslayer Shadow Priest - Spirestone
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...e&n=Direshadow

Quote Originally Posted by Deladeu View Post
    Completely unacceptable? I can see how trying to curb players from playing 48 hours straight is really, really unacceptable.

And it isn't halting progression, far from it, because the leveling / combat system is designed so you benefit more from leveling several classes / jobs at the same time to mix and match skills and abilities from several different disciplines. All it does it encourage this and stop terrible players from racing to the level cap in the first week only to find they get their asses handed to them.

And I find it ironic that World of Warcraft players bitch about halted progression when both Sunwell and ICC were both designed so that they couldn't be finished for a very long time, not to mention MH / BT pre attunement nerf and AQ.
    Your statement is full of moronic rambling.

It is unacceptable. You're paying to play, and they're limiting your time. You aren't paying by the hour, you're paying for a month. They're acting as your parents, and perhaps YOUR life may need that sort of intervention, but MY LIFE and MY TIME doesn't need an incompetent, middle-age executive deciding how I'm supposed to level in a multi-class system. It's *forced* leveling of alts, which should be something you do because you want to, not because you *have* to. In a nutshell, it's to please and give the developers time to develop an endgame, which means the game has failed.

This is the post-WoW era. If you don't have an endgame, even if it's very limited, upon launch, people will not stick around. There isn't a single MMO that has come out since WoW that hasn't had an endgame upon launch and done well. Hardcore players need to see the reason for reaching level cap, and casuals need to see the hardcore actually doing something to make their journey that much sweeter -- BOTH camps want something to do, and if there is nothing to do they won't be sticking around long.

Yes, it is forced halted progression. To suggest otherwise displays a gross lack of intelligence. If you have to design a system that is supposedly built around experimentation and customization in such a way that forces players to level everything simply because they can't just stick with a class that they enjoy, you've failed. Period and end of discussion. People play classes because they want to, not because you've told them "No, sorry. You've played XXX too much. Go do something else for the rest of the week." If you've made classes and a combat system that's fun, people will play them if they enjoy them.

Since when does hitting level cap faster mean that you're incompetent? Nice moronic generalization there. You act as though leveling signifies some Rite of Passage people go through, that must be long, boring, and ridden with blood, sweat, and tears. Newflash: A class never, ever, plays the same once you reach endgame as it does when you level. Everyone has to adjust to the new rules with endgame content, so your "level cap reached faster = dumber player" is even more stupid.

Your last statement made no sense whatsoever, which is saying something considering the drivel you posted prior to it. You find it ironic that people are bitching about halted progression in one MMO, when they've also bitched about halted progression in another MMO? What's ironic? Gated content pisses people off, and ever since Sunwell it's pissed people off. Where you got the impression that people enjoyed only being allowed part of an instance at a time was 'acceptable' is beyond me.
    Last edited by Viertel; 2010-09-21 at 05:45 PM.

Your statement is full of moronic rambling.

It is unacceptable. You're paying to play, and they're limiting your time. You aren't paying by the hour, you're paying for a month. They're acting as your parents, and perhaps YOUR life may need that sort of intervention, but MY LIFE and MY TIME doesn't need an incompetent, middle-age executive deciding how I'm supposed to level in a multi-class system. It's *forced* leveling of alts, which should be something you do because you want to, not because you *have* to. In a nutshell, it's to please and give the developers time to develop an endgame, which means the game has failed.

This is the post-WoW era. If you don't have an endgame, even if it's very limited, upon launch, people will not stick around. There isn't a single MMO that has come out since WoW that hasn't had an endgame upon launch and done well. Hardcore players need to see the reason for reaching level cap, and casuals need to see the hardcore actually doing something to make their journey that much sweeter -- BOTH camps want something to do, and if there is nothing to do they won't be sticking around long.

Yes, it is forced halted progression. To suggest otherwise displays a gross lack of intelligence. If you have to design a system that is supposedly built around experimentation and customization in such a way that forces players to level everything simply because they can't just stick with a class that they enjoy, you've failed. Period and end of discussion. People play classes because they want to, not because you've told them "No, sorry. You've played XXX too much. Go do something else for the rest of the week." If you've made classes and a combat system that's fun, people will play them if they enjoy them.

Since when does hitting level cap faster mean that you're incompetent? Nice moronic generalization there. You act as though leveling signifies some Rite of Passage people go through, that must be long, boring, and ridden with blood, sweat, and tears. Newflash: A class never, ever, plays the same once you reach endgame as it does when you level. Everyone has to adjust to the new rules with endgame content, so your "level cap reached faster = dumber player" is even more stupid.

Your last statement made no sense whatsoever, which is saying something considering the drivel you posted prior to it. You find it ironic that people are bitching about halted progression in one MMO, when they've also bitched about halted progression in another MMO? What's ironic? Gated content pisses people off, and ever since Sunwell it's pissed people off. Where you got the impression that people enjoyed only being allowed part of an instance at a time was 'acceptable' is beyond me.
    The only person hitting people with walls of text is you - who's really the moron rambling on and on?
    You're the one bitching about a game that has been out for half a day. My statements were easy to comprehend and had a simple reason as to why leveling is the way it is in FFXIV, hardly rambling. It isn't my problem you have the reading and comprehension skills of a five year old. Go back to your easy-mode, instant level cap World of Warcraft... I'm sure you'll be able to kill LK with 30% buff really soon, if you try really, really hard.

See, I can be a douche bag keyboard warrior as well.

People like you are the reason WoW has become so terrible in the first place - always bitching and whining about every single design or game mechanic.