Overclock , need some advice

First of all , hi .
    Im not going to upgrade my pc for cata by monetary means , so i thought about overclocking the cpu .

After reading on some forums and watching many tutorials i tried to change some basics to up to 3.6ghz. Yet in my bios , after setting overclock to manual , many variables essential to do it and present in the demonstrations i saw arent available to be modified . Im aware my board isnt specialy made for OC yet she offers many features regarding it thus the surprise.

Anyway i try the auto afterwards , 5% to 20% boost available. From 5 to 10 thepc becomes slightly instable , i had few errors while playing Stalker. From 15 to 20 , pc doesnt launch which is very surprising unless...well i thought my 2gb of mem may be a possible cause?
    I disabled c1a , step speed and other energy saving stuff said to cause some instability , no results.

Any hint would be great.

My specs:
    board , Asus P5G41C-M intel g41
    processsor, core2duo e8400 3.00ghz
    memory , 2gb ddr2 dominator 1066mhz
    gfx, 8800gt
    windows xp
    ( i had previously 4gb ram on my asus p5k )

15+ Year Old Account
    What settings weren't available when doing it manually?

Hi.

I saw a vid and the guy pointed out4 steps for basic OC to reach a 3.6ghz mark.

1. Dram frequency to minimum
    2.Pcie set to 100 (default usually?)
    3.FSB frequency to 400 (from 333 usually)
    4.cpu voltage up to 1.23750

1. done went to 800 anyway
    2.only saw PCI EXPRESS freq. which i assume is different , i saw values ranging to different values when comparing mine to his.
    3.done
    4. not found , mem voltage , NB volt , Vtt volt , cpu over voltage available though.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MAXCAVALERA View Post
    Hi.

I saw a vid and the guy pointed out4 steps for basic OC to reach a 3.6ghz mark.

1. Dram frequency to minimum
    2.Pcie set to 100 (default usually?)
    3.FSB frequency to 400 (from 333 usually)
    4.cpu voltage up to 1.23750

1. done went to 800 anyway
    2.only saw PCI EXPRESS freq. which i assume is different , i saw values ranging to different values when comparing mine to his.
    3.done
    4. not found , mem voltage , NB volt , Vtt volt , cpu over voltage available though.
    1. Okay
    2. PCI Express Frequency = PCIe Frequency
    3. Okay
    4. CPU voltage may also be listed as vCore. It might also be the "CPU Over Voltage" listing, but that's probably listed in +/-mV from default, at which point you'd need to see what the default vCore is (also known as VID). That would be shown in a program like CPU-Z.

Ok thx alot . I have that cpu over voltage.

But what about the instability problem when using a predefined Oc.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MAXCAVALERA View Post
    Ok thx alot . I have that cpu over voltage.

But what about the instability problem when using a predefined Oc.
    On my cheap Asus board the predefined overclocks OC'd the memory too much. Instead of manually setting it to DDR2-677 that would later clock towards 800 when increasing the FSB, it was set as DDR2-800 to begin with and the predefined OC then pushed the memory too far when increasing the FSB.

Might be your issue too.

Be aware that increasing v-core results in higher temps and you should try just increasing your FSB with something less than 400 first, like 350. See if it's stable and just leave vcore alone until you've monitored your temps a little bit more if you haven't already.

Quote Originally Posted by Wries View Post
    On my cheap Asus board the predefined overclocks OC'd the memory too much. Instead of manually setting it to DDR2-677 that would later clock towards 800 when increasing the FSB, it was set as DDR2-800 to begin with and the predefined OC then pushed the memory too far when increasing the FSB.

Might be your issue too.

Be aware that increasing v-core results in higher temps and you should try just increasing your FSB with something less than 400 first, like 350. See if it's stable and just leave vcore alone until you've monitored your temps a little bit more if you haven't already.
    I did some tries on manual afterwards. Anyway i tried

(1s try)
    1. Dram freq to min
    2.FSB to 400
    3.PCIE to 100
    4.cpu over voltage , no change

(2nd try)
    1.Dram freq to min
    2.FSB to 350
    3.PCIE to 100
    4.cpu over voltage , +0.1

Even with those minimum changes it didnt reach windows. Im pretty sure i didnt even need to touch cpu voltage at this level. It crashes and i need to manually switch off the pc.

Last try , it refused to restart at all. So im pretty much done with my OC adventure. lol

The board is brand new , the e8400 is known for being good for o.c , other gear is redundant id say.

15+ Year Old Account
    1. What's your base vCore with no changes being done?
    2. You made no vCore changes when bumping FSB to 400, yet bumped it up 100mV when going to 350? Honestly, I'd suggest you research what each voltage is, how they interact with each other, and what your upper limits should be.