Deleted

Khalko Shatterhoof

Name: Chieftain Khalko Shatterhoof
    Age: Venerable. (Due to the nature of Tauren Society his exact age in years is hard to calculate estimates place him at around a hundred years of age.)
    Race: Tauren

Class: Tauren Chieftain/Druid (Restoration-Sub Balance)

Alignment: Lawful Good

Likes: He enjoys sitting atop the bluffs of Mulgore, as the wind blows through his mane and he watches the rolling green planes. He likes guiding the young finding it fulfilling and intriguing to listen to thier thoughts and theories as he guides them through life.

Dislikes: Those who place titles before wisdom, Those who disregard the sanctity of the Earthmother, Fighting without taking into account a purpose for it or the significance of said battle

Appearance:

A large and muscular; Tauren male standing at over nine feet and weighing over twelve hundred pouds. He wears his years on his weathered features, the fur around his lower jaw is long and ragged as his greying fur gives way to snowy tones on his face and torso. He is is bar chested save for a large set of beads worn around his neck, he wears a long kilt engraved in Taur'ahe runes as well as fingerless, elbow length gloves made of strong leather and inscribed with the same runes as those found on his kilt. He wears a simple leather head dress, with long elogant feathers attached to denote his status as a Chieftain and his metre and a half long horns are painted with elaborate patterning. He wields the Ancestral totem of the Shatterhoof Tribe, wielded by all Chieftains in the tribes history it was said to have belonged to the Tribes legendary brave Sha'hu'alo Longhorn, a Shaman that bound an elemental to the Totem in ages past and lead the Tribe in a war against the Ragetotem millenia ago saving the Tribe from annihilation and earning it the name of Shatterhoof.

History: Khalko has lead the Shatterhoof for several generations now having earned the positions of Elder Seer and Chieftain. He followed the call of Druidism shortly after the battle of Hyjal and has fought for the Confederacy of Tribes and the Horde since. Leading the Shatterhoof to victory in many engagements.

(The history is rather brief as I like to reveal history through RP to add flavour and spice to events.)

Spell Book:

Regrowth - Implanting a seed into an allies wound he utters a phrase of Taur-ahe, the seed becomes flooded with natural energy and bonds itself to the targets flesh growing rapidly and repairing the damaged area.

Rejuvination - Throwing a fine powder of ground ritual herbs and Kodo bone onto a target he speaks a phrase of Taur-ahe causing the target to be flooded with vigor as thier body rapidly to dispose of its fatigue and renew it's stamina.

Healing Touch - Calling upon natural energies to heal his target. The target's body heals itself through the process of cellular replication at phenominal speeds as they undergo several years of healing in seconds causing them to be fatigued and suffer immense pain in exchange for even the gravest of wounds to be healed.

Tree Form - Takes on the form of a Large Treants with golden bark and lush green leaves. He becomes adept at weaving natures energies to restore his allies wounds and the bark's natural armour makes him highly resistant to blunt damage and the Elements of Earth, Water and Air. (In this form he loses his Totem instead attacking with massive fists and his thorns aura becomes enhanced.)

Thorns - Gathers natural energy into his body, his flesh taking on a bark-like texture causing thousands of small thorns to sprout from his body. When struck the thorns harm melee attackes.

Wrath - Projects a bolt of natural energy at the target which causes the energy to spread through thier bodies like a virus damaging cellular tissue and causing the breakdown of thier organ tissues.

Warstomp - Slams his hoof into the ground sending out shockwaves to foes within twenty yards of him sending them sprawling to the ground as well as interrupting the casting of spells. The force of the Stomp can shatter bone and burst ear drums, the strength of a Shatterhoof's war stomp is infamous amongst the tribes enemies.

The Shatterhoof Totem - It was said the Totems first wielder the Shaman Sha'hu'alo Long-horn struct a pact with an earth elemental and pound him to the Totem. The Wielder may evoke the power of the Earth Elemental, striking the floor with the Totem can cause it to emit shockwaves of great force and can imbue it with the strength of Earth, increasing the physical strength of the wielder significantly and giving the totem a rock like texture making it resilient to damage.
    Last edited by mmoce86883aa25; 2010-09-07 at 10:37 AM.

I can understand how you would like to use the RP's to expand on your character's history, but there's ways to do that and still have a good, or even lengthly history. Have your base (everything up to when he is going to be RP'd), and expand from there depending on your activities. Don't make it a fill in the blank, where a person looking at this wouldn't know what his childhood looked like, or any of the hardships in his life. Plus, the history gives us insight into WHY he acts the way he does. It's a really important part of the bio. What you have right now isn't even a paragraph, in high school terms.

As well, don't use a spellbook, especially if he's a caster. The greatest thing about being a spellcaster is to have your specialties (IE: mages are generally masters of frost, fire, and arcane magics), and then find creative ways to use them in or out of combat. You can use spells from in game (though we prefer you to describe them, rather than use their proper name), but in generall a spellbook is a limiting factor to a character. If he has a particular fighting style, that's prefectly okay to put down.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by The Madgod View Post
    I can understand how you would like to use the RP's to expand on your character's history, but there's ways to do that and still have a good, or even lengthly history. Have your base (everything up to when he is going to be RP'd), and expand from there depending on your activities. Don't make it a fill in the blank, where a person looking at this wouldn't know what his childhood looked like, or any of the hardships in his life. Plus, the history gives us insight into WHY he acts the way he does. It's a really important part of the bio. What you have right now isn't even a paragraph, in high school terms.

As well, don't use a spellbook, especially if he's a caster. The greatest thing about being a spellcaster is to have your specialties (IE: mages are generally masters of frost, fire, and arcane magics), and then find creative ways to use them in or out of combat. You can use spells from in game (though we prefer you to describe them, rather than use their proper name), but in generall a spellbook is a limiting factor to a character. If he has a particular fighting style, that's prefectly okay to put down.
    Paragraph 1) To be honest I'm not a fan of doing character histories as they just don't accurately portray the complex choices and methodologies behind why a person acts the way they do. Would his best friend being slaughtered in a Centaur raid cause him to take up a millitaristic outlook on life? or was it combinations of other factors. I keep as absoloutely vague as possible about a history as if there's any history I wish to retcon or keep secret I can do, the benefits to RP of not having a history for the world to see far outweigh the benefits of having one which is why it briefly touches on his current activities to give you an idea of his place in the world.

Paragraph 2) I've been using spell books for the better part of ten years now in RP as it's the best way to prevent meta-gaming.

-Player A - I cast fire ball and scorch your flesh!
    -Player B- Your attack burns my Paladin badly but he then casts a Flash of Light over the wound to heal it
    -Player A- Wtf? I thought you said your Paladin only used Retribution spells
    -Player B- Yeah but he can cast healing spells when he wants to
    -Player A- Okay then I cast frost bolt!
    -Player B- I activate a Frost resistence aura and your attack doesn't affect me. I use a Crusader strike!
    -Player A- Creates an Ice Barrier that takes the blow leaving me unharmed. If you suddenly have a spell to counter everything I do, then I have one to counter you.

It's an old concept but it's one I enjoy as it prevents cries of Metagaming and enables me character development as he aquires new spells or reveals secretive ones he created or just never told anyone about. It may be limiting but no character will need 50+ spells for RP, especially Casters, Casters typically pick two or three favourite spells then just focus on using them.

10+ Year Old Account
    You say you use your spellbook to prevent meta-gaming, then you also say that he aquires new spells or reveals secret ones he never told anyone about.. i don't really see the logic in that.
    You could suddenly reveal spells, like in your example, to counter whoever you are fighting that way.

enables me character development as he aquires new spells or reveals secretive ones he created or just never told anyone about.
    If you want to limit yourself, that is fine, but you cannot have this kind of loophole. Even if it is appropriate to the character, it is deceitful to hide something about your character from EVERYONE, and then take out that secret weapon.

Though some of his history can be brought to light in RP's, what you have isn't acceptable. If a character acts the way they do from multiple factors, have those factors in the story. if you can't write the history down, how can I expect you to be able to express it in an RP?

People (or at least me) on this website tend to look at character bios (particuarly the personality and history sections) for admission into some RP's. Mystery around a person's past can be fun and interesting, but absolutely nothing? Anonymity is not a good thing.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Telcular View Post
    You say you use your spellbook to prevent meta-gaming, then you also say that he aquires new spells or reveals secret ones he never told anyone about.. i don't really see the logic in that.
    You could suddenly reveal spells, like in your example, to counter whoever you are fighting that way.
    Was bad choice of words...he will aquire new spells through RP or he may have a new spell he reveals say...he's out in the wilds and someones wounded he reveals a new healing technique. It's about reason and dependability.

If you want to limit yourself, that is fine, but you cannot have this kind of loophole. Even if it is appropriate to the character, it is deceitful to hide something about your character from EVERYONE, and then take out that secret weapon.

Though some of his history can be brought to light in RP's, what you have isn't acceptable. If a character acts the way they do from multiple factors, have those factors in the story. if you can't write the history down, how can I expect you to be able to express it in an RP?

People (or at least me) on this website tend to look at character bios (particuarly the personality and history sections) for admission into some RP's. Mystery around a person's past can be fun and interesting, but absolutely nothing? Anonymity is not a good thing.
    Why is it not acceptable? what would having his history here for people see contribute that can't be revealed through RP? what can a History that people IC won't know contribute that not having one they won't know IC doesn't? I see no benefits in restricting my character with a history that will msot likely change on an RP to RP basis. I understand you use it to find suitability for RP but I just don't see any reason to have one that people won't know in character, will heavily restrict me and only cuases me to spend an hour or two typing something that will most likely have changed completely by friday. Some people like having one some don't it's that simple really...there is no absoloute to RP as I'll reiterate for I think the 6th time this post. Not having one has more benefit than making one in my experience.

10+ Year Old Account
    It helps to tell if someone would fit well into some specific rp or not.
    If for example someone was part of the Scarlet crusade and joined a rp, then the thread cretor could say right away if that would fit in with the later on (some guy is an undead as example) without making too much rp drama and instead going on with the story.

A differing history on a RP to RP basis that has the same end product of personality sounds rather tedious. The way this character is set up to be RP'd as makes me think that he's a piece of clay, able to be molded into whatever shape is desired for a specific RP. The greatest thing about people is that they can't fit into every situation thrown at them. Some people are better than others at certain things. If you want to have different histories, make a different character. We allow more than one character per person for a reason.

I agree with Maddy and Telcular.
    With no history or knowledge of his personality, we can't determine how our characters would react to him.
    You don't have to reveal every detail, you can add flavor and spice to events by elaborating on them in RPs.
    ~ ♥ { Face of Death | The Cast } ♥ ~

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Telcular View Post
    It helps to tell if someone would fit well into some specific rp or not.
    If for example someone was part of the Scarlet crusade and joined a rp, then the thread cretor could say right away if that would fit in with the later on (some guy is an undead as example) without making too much rp drama and instead going on with the story.
    Thats as much down to a player-to-player basis as it could be a History I can look at any character and without reading the history see if it's well suited. A History is not an essential part of a character, RP is like writing a story the biggest part of a characetr's development is discovering it's history that's where the excitement lies. Having a history from the start removes a massive amount of character development and is ultimately detrimental to the RP process. I've only put into the section what is relevant and what is needed to be known.

A differing history on a RP to RP basis that has the same end product of personality sounds rather tedious. The way this character is set up to be RP'd as makes me think that he's a piece of clay, able to be molded into whatever shape is desired for a specific RP. The greatest thing about people is that they can't fit into every situation thrown at them. Some people are better than others at certain things. If you want to have different histories, make a different character. We allow more than one character per person for a reason.
    What I'm saying is. I have done histories before when I start RP and I found that I simply either changed them constantly or just ignored them all together as they've always been far too constricting as a story telling device.

Quote Originally Posted by Ellié View Post
    I agree with Maddy and Telcular.
    With no history or knowledge of his personality, we can't determine how our characters would react to him.
    You don't have to reveal every detail, you can add flavor and spice to events by elaborating on them in RPs.
    Having a pre-designed idea of how to react to him is a form of Meta-gaming. react to him and discover how to react on a player-to-player merit. You wouldn't know how to react to someone you've only just met would you?

Here's the bottom line, all his history would look like is literally this:

He was born
    He became a Shaman
    His father dies
    He becomes Chieftain
    He fights centaur
    He meets Orcs
    He fights at Hyjal
    He becomes druid
    He joins Confederacy
    He now fights for Horde.

That is the only level of detail I'm willing to give away, as anything other than that would be detremental to the development process as I've said History writing is a time sink for something that will just be ignored or changed heavily and contributes to me as a Roleplayer no benefit in RP.

Perhaps we are all ignorant, novice roleplayers, but I have yet to see any issue whatsoever from the problem you are explaining. Everyone else does perfectly fine in the roleplays here.

I would allow this honestly unorthodox behavior, but you have given no reason, as far as I can tell, why having a history is bad and not having one is good (not just for you, the majority (see first "paragraph")), other than you are never satisfied with your character history.

Deleted
    Indeed I have given a reason. I have stated numerous times I have never found an instance where History has offered a benefit to me as a player. I have yet to see a single reason why it is benefitial short of you like to know a persons character before you play with them. It's all about preference and I see no reason why a History should be mandatory as approximately all the time players in RP won't know your history it just sits there as an outlet for your ideas. The only time a character needs a history is if it's unique or special in someway as the majority of the time people will be

He was born
    He joined the army
    He killed Orcs
    He got promoted.

sure it's simplistic terms but most characters will have a history to that effect within the loreverse. Player characters often have maybe super snowflake moments like oh I don't know, saving the king from a band of robbers or being involved in a cult...something to that degree. You should examine a character on face value before determining wether the character is the type that needs a history or if it's just one you would like to see with a History. There is at this point in time nothing to benefit from for this character with a history and much more to benefit from without one. To Outline a few:

- Considerably more oppurtunities for character development.
    - More freedom in his motivations and actions, they not being predefined by some arbitrary events in his past.
    - Prevention of Meta-gaming.
    - Greater number of roleplay oppurtunities.

A history is used for 1) moderators to get a good feel for the creativity and story-telling ability of a new applicant, and 2) a good way for a charcter to keep within boundaries. If I roleplayed as you did, I would get sick and tired of it very quickly. A character who can fit into a lot of very different roleplays isn't particuraly interesting. If I had a rogue who would go from a murderer to a person who helped save a village, I would hang up my roleplayer's jacket and do something else. A character who has no set history or personality is boring. A character with a set personality and a differing history makes no sense, for we are the sum of our experiences, and it's highly unlikely that different backgrounds will end up with the same personality. A character with the same history and different personalities should be scrapped. That's why we make more than one character, to be able to participate in multiple roleplays with (hopefully) different personalities and backgrounds.

You cannot say that a history would cause problems with character development. Some characters never change through a roleplay, and some change a lot, through an entire set of roleplays. Mainly, if a character stays the way he or she is, it is more of the roleplayer's fault than the history's. I fail to see why your system works so much better than the one currently in place here.

Aside from meta-gaming (which I have not seen), and the highly relative, lackluster argument over character freedom and development, what else is bad about histories? What you have said isn't enough for me to start thinking about changing the way we do things here in your favor. I would have expected more from someone who could easily write an excellent history what with the effort you are putting into your arguments.

Now, after the 9th or so edit (I don't like my initial posts and works either), you have to either get me to understand why your system works a lot better than the current one, without using previous arguments, just write the history, or quit this character. We aren't getting anywhere with this.
    Last edited by The Madgod; 2010-09-09 at 01:36 PM. Reason: iPod...

Just thought I would jump in here. If you so wish to experience multiple situations, with different personalities, you can alywas have multiple characters. You are not bound to just one. Whatever RP you find interesting, you can enter that one willfully, with whatever character you have decided to use. This way, you can experience different styles.

I myself now have 5 RP characters. Two of them are currently in the process of massive overhauls, yet, I get to experience different ways of RPing on each.

Now, going on the History point. Your History does generally help other people who your RP with. For example, I encountered a Blood Elf. I'm playing an Undead abomination. I want to know why he hates me so much, and without that history, it would be hard to know. How would I gain knowledge of the fact that his family was murdered during the Fall of Quel'thalas?

Your arguing is getting you nowhere. Anyhow, looking forward to the History once it is complete.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Elyaan-Amuno View Post
    Just thought I would jump in here. If you so wish to experience multiple situations, with different personalities, you can alywas have multiple characters. You are not bound to just one. Whatever RP you find interesting, you can enter that one willfully, with whatever character you have decided to use. This way, you can experience different styles.

I myself now have 5 RP characters. Two of them are currently in the process of massive overhauls, yet, I get to experience different ways of RPing on each.

Now, going on the History point. Your History does generally help other people who your RP with. For example, I encountered a Blood Elf. I'm playing an Undead abomination. I want to know why he hates me so much, and without that history, it would be hard to know. How would I gain knowledge of the fact that his family was murdered during the Fall of Quel'thalas?

Your arguing is getting you nowhere. Anyhow, looking forward to the History once it is complete.
    You want to know why he hates you, you should find out through the RP you shouldn't have to go read some information you can't know about in character this is called meta-gaming.

Now my point is Madgod that it impedes character development as the past is as much a development as the future. When his past is uncertain gives him a chance to reveal it. Say I'm in an RP about oh I don't know...midsummer fire festival and he leads a band of adventurers after some cultists he seems to know alot about the elements and the various earthen ring. When questioned he states "I was once a shaman Young one" he reveals a bit of his history that's significant, relevant to the story and yet I didn't have to give it away before the roleplay.

I never said multiple backstories or making a new one for each RP or even multiple personalities. It's somethign a few of your repliers have invented in your heads what I said was that whenever I've done a history for a character it gets completely rewritten within days and more often then not completely ignored all together as I develop my character. Now you want his history all you'll be getting is the universes most dull paragraph of

He was born in the barrens. He became chief of his tribe. He joined the Horde.

As I'm not willing to give any further detail then that as it ruins my chances of character development. Once you've written your lot in the world your cemented there without flexibillity to adapt or change. In one RP as Chieftain I lead a contingent of Shatterhoof braves in the Hordes contingent at Icecrown and in the next I'm joining a group of adventurers to plunder a dragon's treasure inorder to free a cursed Shaman. That's flexibillity within reason. I'm not expecting you to change your entire system I'm simply asking you allow the option there for players to play out thier history rather than blow thier cards and reveal it from the get go. When it's a secret the big things are more impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by YTOfficer01 View Post
    You want to know why he hates you, you should find out through the RP you shouldn't have to go read some information you can't know about in character this is called meta-gaming.
    Did I act upon it? No.

It was merely to find out more about this other person. It wasn't going to be included in this RP. A little background information doesn't hurt, and it can also assist with the RPing situation.

Also, if you don't wish to write out his entire lifetime, just write up the events to the current. In depth. We can also get an idea of what sort of a person are you, as well as your writing styles.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Elyaan-Amuno View Post
    Did I act upon it? No.

It was merely to find out more about this other person. It wasn't going to be included in this RP. A little background information doesn't hurt, and it can also assist with the RPing situation.

Also, if you don't wish to write out his entire lifetime, just write up the events to the current. In depth. We can also get an idea of what sort of a person are you, as well as your writing styles.
    I've only written what information is important and only what information others need to know I see no reason what so ever for people to see any more

Very well. You have made your decision. Let us wait for Madgod to return.

Just because you find that the information given is all that is nessisary doesn't mean that it is, according to the standards of this site. You have shown eloquence, but you have also left out some pieces of information intentionally, which we expect to be there. You have presented your case, and I don't believe that your points are applicable to the community here, at this point in time. We do not meta-game, nor do we have problems with our characters. I am sorry, but this character is locked.