Deleted

Critique my first WOW computer build

Hello!

After my laptop died i decided to build my first desktop for WOW. My goal is to build price/performance system and get max as possible fps in 25man raids playing on ultra settings. My budget is quite limited. In USD its ~1400. I believe in US with budget like that you can build pretty sweet system but where i live all prices are like two times higher compared to US prices.

Specs:

MB: MSI S1156 IP55 DDR2 SATA2 GBLAN ATX (P55-CD53)
    CPU: INTEL CORE I5-760 2.8GHz
    RAM: KINGSTON MEMORY DIMM 4GB PC12800 DDR3/HYPERX KIT2 1600MHz
    VGA: GIGA-BYTE VGA 1GB GDDR5 PCIE16 GTX460/GV-N460OC-1GI
    HDD: SAMSUNG F3 500GB 3.5\" SATA2 7200RPM 16MB (HD502HJ)
    ODD: LG DVD-/+RW GH22NS50RBBB (GH22NS50RBBB)
    PSU: ANTEC PSU EARTHWATTS EA650-EC 650W 80+
    CASE: ANTEC THREE-HUNDRED CASE NO PSU BLACK (0761345-08300-3)

MONITOR: BenQ LCD G2420HDB 24"Full HD 1920x1080 / 40.000:1 (typ 1000:1) / 2ms / 300cdqm / H=170, V=160 / D-sub / DVI-D / Glossy black

First of all, what do you think about this build? Is this enough to get 50-60fps in 25man raids on ultra settings without full shadows ofc? If no - what i need to upgrade then?

Is there any difference between 1333Mhz and 1600Mhz RAM?

650W PSU is enough for system like this?

Deleted
    Is good.
    PSU is Enough if you don't plan SLI 460
    Get a solid CPU cooler, OC the hell out of the i5
    Regarding the RAM,m if you OC the i5 to 4 GHz which is 'sweet spot' you'll have to go with 20*200
    meaning your memory multipler would be 8*{BCLK} which is 200 = 1600 , in case of 1333 modules you'd have to use multipler 6 ending up in 6*200 = 1200

Grab the 1600's with it if you pllan to OC, 1333 if you don't.

Enjoy the PC, it's really something I'd build myself if I didn't had crazy demands.

I think this is a pretty solid build.

Are you planning to overclock the CPU (it looks so regarding the case you've chosen)? If so, you can stick with the I5-750 instead of the 760, as the overclocked speed will be the same, might save a few bucks. I'd reinvest those bucks into a solid CPU cooler, the Intel Boxed one isn't really the best.

Regarding the RAM: Basically, more Mhz (the RAM is capable of) don't do anything for you , but if you overclock, it is very wise to have some spare MHz. As RAM is the cheapest of your components, I'd stick with the RAM you suggested.

The GPU is fine, would be my choice too.

Edit: 2nd :-P

The Motherboard wouldn't be my choice, as it doesn't offer SLI capabilities. I would strongly suggest to invest a few $ into a better one, the option of adding another GTX460 will be worth it.
    May I ask where you live? If it's within the EU, consider ordering the parts from another EU country. If this build costs around 1400$, I'm save to say you can get it cheaper.
    Last edited by Khalelia; 2010-09-08 at 03:07 PM.

From what I gather from what you copy pasted the mother board you linked is a ddr2 board and the ram you linked is ddr3.

Video is a Palit GTS450. Main display is a 24" full HD TV. Secondary display is an ACER 19" lcd at 1440x900.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Moobious View Post
    From what I gather from what you copy pasted the mother board you linked is a ddr2 board and the ram you linked is ddr3.
    Have no clue why there is "DDR2" in that MB name, but i know 100% that this MB supports DDR3 RAM.

Kondik and Khalelia, thank you guys for answers. Actualy i dont know anything about overclocking but i think i will do it. 4GHz sounds really nice. Im from Latvia and here in online shops this build includeing monitor costs exactly 1400 USD. Strange thing is that i5 760 is cheaper than 750 in all shops here. I have allready checked other EU online shops but havent found any cheaper solution. Also im a bit scared about warranty if i order parts from other countries.

Then i will take MB which supports SLI and buy cooler for the CPU overclocking. Better PSU i will buy when ill get second GTX 460 i guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Spalis View Post
    Better PSU i will buy when ill get second GTX 460 i guess.
    The psu you linked is actually pretty good you just that 650 is a little small you need more like 750 watts for dual 460s.

Video is a Palit GTS450. Main display is a 24" full HD TV. Secondary display is an ACER 19" lcd at 1440x900.

Deleted
    Same here, i5 760 is cheaper than the older 750. But like we care when it profits us.
    If you don't want to OC or you don't know how at first feel free to PM me here , I'll give you some guidance.

You've chosen well, grab a solid CPU Cooler in general, the coller it is in load the longer it will stay here with us unharmed. And if you want SLI in the future grab something a little stronger, Corsair TX 750's were quite cheap in general and are quite solid. If don't you're fine. My one doesn't go over 600 in max load that wow will never put on the system.

But for god's sake don't listen to people that have just read about something and never had it / tired it. These forums are stuffed with 'After One Review an Expert In Memory Tweaking'.