Lord of the Rings Online Free to Play - September 10th.

http://www.lotro.com/free.php

Couple of months ago, Turbine announced that they are following the same trend of their other MMO, Dungeons and Dragons Online for their newer one, Lord of the Rings online.

What this means is that players who don't pay can play, but have certain restrictions (the list on the link has details), whereas monthly subscribers have full access. This also means that like DDO, they are adding a store where you buy points using money, nothing new if you've tried other MMOs under the same model.

Unlike DDO, where your main source of exp comes from...well, dungeons, Lord of the rings has an open-ended setting similar to what you see in MMOs like World of Warcraft. Aside from less expansion access and one character slot per server, it does look like you have pretty much the same liberties as a monthly subscriber.

So, when is this coming out? apparently tomorrow starting now. I gave this a shot when it came out, so it'll be nice seeing what improvements they have made over the years.
    Last edited by Caradinist; 2010-09-09 at 03:29 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Respen
    I was very disappointed in the screenshots. I usually base my entire gaming experience around ground textures and so far it seems like Cata will be totally unplayable.

Good stuff, I read about it some time ago. Maybe I can dust off my copy and reinstall it then.

Yep - Lord of the Rings is now Free to Play and you can download the game from their website and start playing. You can get to level 50 (out of 65) with the basic free to play. The other 15 levels are what you can get to after you get the 3 expansions which I assume you still need to buy - although not pay a monthly fee for them.

I'm gonna give it a go and see what it's like.

---------- Post added 2010-09-12 at 01:02 PM ----------

You know, if I were slightly paranoid, I'd suggest that the release of Patch 4.0.1 on the PTR and the launch of LotrO F2P isn't a coincidence.

Could Blizzard possibly have released the patch this weekend as a spoiler for the LotrO launch? Knowing that more than a few of their current players may be getting impatient and may be tempted to try out LotrO - at least until Cata properly hits. So, by letting them play on the PTR, those that are not on the beta get to see some of the fun stuff too....?