Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Moonkin Changes....Hooray!

I got on the PTRs to play around with the new moonkin rotation a little bit and I really enjoyed it. It requires a lot less pray to the rng gods and a lot more skill to master. I particulary like the way you have to thread starsurge/wrath into a lunar to prolong it to its full duration, and starsurge/starfire for lunars. You can do fine dps without mastering the technique, but you can blow some serious numbers if you get it right. Sure the system needs a few touch ups, such as lunar/solar power decay rate, but overall im quite pleased.

Are other boomkins on the same page? Discuss!
    Quote Originally Posted by Baever View Post
    Heroic modes =/= additional bosses. It's the same encounter, but cannot be steamrolled by an inbred Texan with same IQ as a roll of toilet paper.
    Quote Originally Posted by rabbimojo View Post
    And, more, I'm fairly certain there are several homosexual characters in the game - they don't need to have <Gay> under their name to make it so.
    I'm that guy who enjoys sitting their 6'5" frame in front of little kids in movie theaters.

Currently DLing the PTR now.

Little off topic, but how long did it take for your character to be copied over? I've never bothered with PTR testing, but I've been really wanting to test out the Moonkin changes. PTR site said the wait was ~4 days, hopefully it's a lot less?

10+ Year Old Account
    actual rotation maybe depend a lot on luck with eclipses but is quite idiot friendly (FF, Starfall, IS, W till eclipse, M, SF till eclipse, repeat again...).
    With new one there is a chance that you will do something just to keep one eclipse as long as you can. But thats only my predictions based on 11lev droo When blizz give me back my sweet lovely uber awesome etc etc 80 I will spend some time at dommies to check how it works.

took about 2 hours to copy over, but i play on a US server. I have heard that the EU servers are having a lot of trouble right now
    Quote Originally Posted by Baever View Post
    Heroic modes =/= additional bosses. It's the same encounter, but cannot be steamrolled by an inbred Texan with same IQ as a roll of toilet paper.
    Quote Originally Posted by rabbimojo View Post
    And, more, I'm fairly certain there are several homosexual characters in the game - they don't need to have <Gay> under their name to make it so.
    I'm that guy who enjoys sitting their 6'5" frame in front of little kids in movie theaters.

I find that it feels a bit lackluster.
    I am sitting at about 3200 SP in moonkin form in the PTR. On Live servers I have 3300 SP in moonkin. WTF happened to our SP? I talked to a lock friend of mine and he has 4100 SP on the PTR. WTF? Seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Roflomnom View Post
    I find that it feels a bit lackluster.
    I am sitting at about 3200 SP in moonkin form in the PTR. On Live servers I have 3300 SP in moonkin. WTF happened to our SP? I talked to a lock friend of mine and he has 4100 SP on the PTR. WTF? Seriously.
    If you're using some cloth, you won't be getting the extra sp from leather mastery. I noticed this too on both Resto and Moonkin.

10+ Year Old Account
    You might have less SP, but spells benefit more from SP then they used to. And SP benefit more from Int than it used to.

15+ Year Old Account
    I have more spellpower then on live. (My heroic bonespike also got about a 200 spellpower boost). I wasn't to impressed with the rotation until I actually got to try it.

However, the way I max out my DPS on a test dummy is:

Wrath until Lunar Eclipse

Starfall

Run around and moonfire like an idiot for 45 seconds, as moonfire prevents Eclipse decay but does not use lunar power, and with 3 stacks of Lunar shower up, Moonfire costs 6 mana.

After 45 seconds, wrath once, then starsurge back to another lunar eclipse.

Repeat.

I was doing only about 11k doing my normal rotation on the test dummies.. I pull about 15-16k just spamming moonfire.

As much as I like lunar shower, I think this will need to be changed some how.
    Sunfyre | @FoGSunfyre

That's...interesting. lols Gonna be fun for PvP

I tryed out the moonfire spam rotation that sunfyre explained, and im pulling about the same dps as my normal rotation, how are you pulling 15-16k like that?

---------- Post added 2010-09-14 at 07:37 AM ----------

and how does moonfire cost 6 mana? should'nt it be 64 mana?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by joey6000 View Post
    I tryed out the moonfire spam rotation that sunfyre explained, and im pulling about the same dps as my normal rotation, how are you pulling 15-16k like that?

---------- Post added 2010-09-14 at 07:37 AM ----------

and how does moonfire cost 6 mana? should'nt it be 64 mana?
    Moonglow reduces it to 6 mana. Don't ask me why.

I was pulling the DPS on a fully raid debuffed dummy. (There were probably 50 people attacking it). It may be because of some odd-style bugs we've seen with damage, but I was repeatedly getting 30k+ moonfires on the dummy.
    Sunfyre | @FoGSunfyre

I think the most my Moonfire hit for was 16k when DFO procced, and my moonfires were costing 64 mana which is 90% of its regaular cost. It must have been a bug.
    But I must say after a couple tests I did find that the moonfire rotation was slightly better then my original rotation and with 45 second periods of spamming moonfire any fight that requires movement would be cake for boomkins.

idk what your talking about... i went up, im at 3600sp right now and on avg im pulling 14k unbuffed on a the boss dummy... LOVING the new boomkins!

what rotation are you using? and what were youre Moonfires hitting for?

and I meant 62 mana, which is 90% less and what the tooltip says with 3 stacks of lunar shower

---------- Post added 2010-09-15 at 04:26 AM ----------

Just thought of something.. sunfyre's moonfires were hitting for sligthly more then double mine and costing 90% less then my already 90% reduced Moonfires, maybe it bugged and you got lunar shower applied twice with 3 stacks each? 6 mana is 90% of 62 mana, so it would make sense.
    Last edited by joey6000; 2010-09-15 at 04:21 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by joey6000 View Post
    what rotation are you using? and what were youre Moonfires hitting for?

and I meant 62 mana, which is 90% less and what the tooltip says with 3 stacks of lunar shower

---------- Post added 2010-09-15 at 04:26 AM ----------

Just thought of something.. sunfyre's moonfires were hitting for sligthly more then double mine and costing 90% less then my already 90% reduced Moonfires, maybe it bugged and you got lunar shower applied twice with 3 stacks each? 6 mana is 90% of 62 mana, so it would make sense.
    I think the Moonfire damage was due to a rogue poison bug. Although I can replicate the 6 mana cost over and over and over again. I've also seen other people post about it. Did you pick up Moonglow?
    Sunfyre | @FoGSunfyre

ah you're right did'nt think the 9% would be added to the 90% mana reduction. also have you re-tryed the Moonfire spam rotation, cause for me Im pulling about the same with both rotations about 10k

10+ Year Old Account
    Bu the most important thing....what about starfall? Just kidding. Could anyone please tell me if its a new rotation for moonkins in the PTR or if its just the same as before? Thanks in advance
    /Musra
    ''Invincibility lies in the defence; the possibility of victory in the attack'' -Sun Tzu

Well my normal rotation is generally Wrath till lunar, moonfire, starfire, starfall, starsurge, starfire till solar, when it activates, IS, wrathx2, starsurge,wrath away to lunar. Generally it involves a starsurge during lunar, another starsurge during solar, and another building to lunar. If your goal is to get a starsurge at least once at each eclipse, just use it on cooldown unless you are close to another eclipse.
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry Ford
    Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is probably why few engage in it.
    This explains a lot.

only played kitty while leveling 1-80.
    have you leveled as balance?
    How do you see balance for leveling in cata?
    better, faster, safer than kitty or ?????