The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account

Cataclysm talent builds

So what are the DK tanking builds looking like for Cataclysm now?

uh, go to the talent calc and you see that the whole"build" thing is almost irrelevant now

the blood tree has 29 points of tanking talents, so unless one of them turns to be really useless you wont have much choice there

which leave 10 points out and theres nothing obligatory in any of the other trees
    so either either you can opt for increasing your threat with the dps stuff in blood tree;
    getting morbity on unholy if you think you need more aoe threat;
    getting the utility your raid needs;
    or the tweak you find most interesting

welcome to the dumbed down talent trees :P
    ---

actualy i forgot that the barrier you get from death strike scaled with damage, so likely you want bladed armor and possibily the 2% strength from abomination might. so its only 7 points left, yay even less choices!
    Last edited by khh; 2010-09-12 at 03:09 AM.

to be honest the big talent trees didn't have much diversity either. I mean you pick the right talents or you dont and before the ICC buffs it would show. I'm happy i get to get tank talents instead of a ton of dps talents with a few tank talents scattered about.

Deleted
    Morbidity is Mandatory, there's no choice for Sub-Spec, you need to apply at least 8 points to Unholy to get Morbidity. Cookie-Cutter. Epidemic or Unholy Command is up to the Player.

Only real choice is if you want to drop either Abomination's Might or Scarlet Fever to get 3/3 BCB (only 1 point necessary in SoB really with the way Rune Strike is atm) because someone else in your Raid can provide the Buff.

Quote Originally Posted by khh View Post
    uh, go to the talent calc and you see that the whole"build" thing is almost irrelevant now

the blood tree has 29 points of tanking talents, so unless one of them turns to be really useless you wont have much choice there

which leave 10 points out and theres nothing obligatory in any of the other trees
    so either either you can opt for increasing your threat with the dps stuff in blood tree;
    getting morbity on unholy if you think you need more aoe threat;
    getting the utility your raid needs;
    or the tweak you find most interesting

welcome to the dumbed down talent trees :P
    ---

actualy i forgot that the barrier you get from death strike scaled with damage, so likely you want bladed armor and possibily the 2% strength from abomination might. so its only 7 points left, yay even less choices!
    to be frank its more choice then we have now with the you must be this build for this or this build for that.

I disagree. While I don't agree morbidity is required, there is nothing that is better at this time. Secondly bone shield is nearly worthless with an up time of 4-5 seconds, and a 1 minute cooldown that uses a rune.

http://wowtal.com/#k=aCOmzLOe.9zi.deathknight

Deleted
    3/3 SoB? Lmao seriously? Even 2/3 is overkill, get Bloodworms.

Epidemic provides 1 more Death Strike every 90 seconds, compared to Virulence its not as good. Also, Bladed Armor produces more Threat than BCB.

bloodworms sux, 3/3 SoB for many reason, the first is Runic Empowerment.

Runic Empowerment
    Passive 68 - When you use your Death Coil, Frost Strike, or Rune Strike ability, you have a 45% chance to activate a random fully depleted rune.

cmon..

Deleted
    Yeah so? Rune Strike still costs Avoidance, our Avoidance is really taking a dip, Runic Power Generation from all abilities has been increased. With 2/3 you spend most of your time between 60-100 RP praying for Rune Strike procs. 3/3 is wasted.

Bloodworms is a lot better now than it was in WotLK.

I was a huge opponent to bloodworms in live, and laughed at people who had them. Tested it on PTR, and even at 80th level, they were popping and healing me for 10-15k. They are significantly better now.

Second point, going 3/3 SoB, is going to waste a lot of RP, flowing over 100 RP all the time, and your not going to be able to use GCDs in any order to make it work well.

can u not just dump excess rp with deathcoil for runeprocs also?

Deleted
    Rune Strike procs mid-rotation, you need to stop pressing buttons, press RS, then go back to pressing buttons. when all runes are on CD THEN you press DC. then you get RE procs, then you use RE rune, then you DC if you don't have other Runes to press/Rune Strike to use.

Deleted
    One bad thing these new trees will do to the game, is that there will be much less diversity.

Especially Feral. I'm afraid that every single tank and every single kitty will have the exact same spec, just because there's no room to work around it.

Although, to be fair, with feral you have to expect that. It's two roles in one and cramming that in a single tree is a little much.

But still, the diversity in specs was a fun part.

Deleted
    No, Morbidity is Mandatory, 8 points gone. Then there's 33 points you need to put in Blood, no options left. He is right, compared to what we were told we'd get at BlizzCon '09 with the whole "10 points free for "fun" stuff" this is BS. How are we supposed to get say On A Pale Horse? Oh wait, we can't.

Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    A cooldown that gives 20% less damage for the next three attacks you get is BAD?
    For some reason I can't see the talents when clicking a link, but I'd love to give my opinion.
    The reason I feel this way, when using bone shield you use an unholy rune, effectively preventing the use of a death strike. That prevents you from healing (at least 10% health, and possibly up to 50% of the damage you have taken in the last 5 seconds with talents), and putting a shield up on you. You also lose out on doing more threat from the extra attack as well. The only time I will ever use bone shield is to start a fight, or before an attack that will do more damage then my death strike heal+bubble will do.