Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldrad View Post
    Maybe I'm a stickler for details, but again, VENOM web spray? LAVA breath? "simultaneously breathes frost and lightning"??
    Those attacks don't sound like they should do damage?
    If you play a BM hunter and do PvP (not sure if there are still hunters that do) you'd probably like those pet attacks to keep their damage aspect. But the damage component is being removed so the exotic pets can have a 2nd ability that gives a raid buff effect of some kind. Fair trade? Maybe, but still makes no sense to have a damaging attack not do damage. Change the name. Change the tool tip, something.
    And like I pointed out, in one case (chimera) it's just a straight nerf. Unless they are planning on adding in a raid buff for chimeras.
    Yes, they do sound like they should do damage, but long story short, none of these abilities will do damage any more. They have removed all damaging components from pet family abilities for a perfectly decent reason.

Well as long as the BM hunters don't mind the change and are happy, I guess all is fine.
    I'll just avoid reading abilities and tool tips that are contradictory so I don't have OCC flare ups.

---------- Post added 2010-09-12 at 02:33 AM ----------

OMG, I hate it when people say "it's just beta".
    You know, at some point, Hitler was "just a beta" and people didn't stop him... then he went live.
    Just saying.

Anyway, looks like people are fine with their exotic pets losing damaging special attacks.
    It was only a matter of time till hitler or nazi's would get involved in this discussion

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Herecius View Post
    Yes, they do sound like they should do damage, but long story short, none of these abilities will do damage any more. They have removed all damaging components from pet family abilities for a perfectly decent reason.
    What about prowl? Think they will remove it?

Edit: Also, I didn't see anything about cats in the blue post.
    Last edited by demopolis; 2010-09-12 at 03:06 AM. Reason: adding info

Quote Originally Posted by Overlord-Kromgar View Post
    It was only a matter of time till hitler or nazi's would get involved in this discussion
    Godwyn's law at its finest. Did that guy win a medal? He should have.

10+ Year Old Account
    Shireshireshireton, shireville, the shire
    Its making the importance of Pets with hunters more important. I named my pet kenny because no one cared for him in raids.
    Quote Originally Posted by perix View Post
    there are people that think war is like cod.
    That covers just about every twelve year old in America.

Pets already do huge damage with regular abilities, they don't need more on specials. If they erase extra damage for specials, they can allow hunters to use whatever pet they want in PvE.

Most exotic pets actually have 2 utility spells (1 debuff, 1 buff). Core hound has the casting speed slow AND heroism, Devilsaur has healing debuff and +crit.

And one of each pet tree has a unique exotic only buff. Corehound has bloodlust/heroism/timewarp, silithid has fort and devilsaur has -healing.
    We also don't know how valuable 4 pet talents can be. Wont know till trees are released. 4 talent points could just be a 4% damage increase, could allow you to get a pseudo 30 point talent/spell that you couldn't without those 4 points.

Exotic pet gives you more utility (and possibly unique if you pick the right pet) and 4 more talent points.

Deleted
    They're trying to make all pets viable in PvE, removing unique damage is the first step. The next step is letting us spec our pets like we would our own character, instead of spec being tied to family (They mentioned that they wanted to do this at Blizzcon, I think, but there hasn't been any word on it since). I really hope they are going to do it, otherwise you still wont be able to bring a Silithid/Serpent/Bear/Whatever to help out your raid, as you'll be gimping your own DPS.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiru View Post
    They're trying to make all pets viable in PvE, removing unique damage is the first step. The next step is letting us spec our pets like we would our own character, instead of spec being tied to family (They mentioned that they wanted to do this at Blizzcon, I think, but there hasn't been any word on it since). I really hope they are going to do it, otherwise you still wont be able to bring a Silithid/Serpent/Bear/Whatever to help out your raid, as you'll be gimping your own DPS.
    Again, they said nothing about cats in the blue post so that must mean that they have either let the pets keep there special damaging ability or the cats can't do anything besides claw, which I doubt.

every time something good happens someone complains about it. i guess thats the price of having a game with so many players.

15+ Year Old Account
    Well, if you're into this, Pummel and Kick ceased to cause damage long ago. Kinda ridiculous, too.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by demopolis View Post
    Again, they said nothing about cats in the blue post so that must mean that they have either let the pets keep there special damaging ability or the cats can't do anything besides claw, which I doubt.
    Or they haven't changed the abilities for every pet yet.

Deleted
    There are other pets that haven't been posted too, Chill Winston.

devilsaurs also have mortal strike, core hounds bloodlust, silithids get commanding shout, and spirit beasts get a hot, on top of their pet ability buffs i.e. leader of the pack, curse of tongues, a root, and cat camoflague im pretty sure taking away thier extra damage is an even trade for the exotic pets overpowered abilities.

---------- Post added 2010-09-12 at 03:32 AM ----------

What about prowl? Think they will remove it?

Edit: Also, I didn't see anything about cats in the blue post.
    their prowl is camoflague its a stealth that does increased damage on the next move as they come out of it

I hope it's just a bug or not final, but for blizzard to take exotic pet abilities and remove the damage aspect of the ability and make it a clone of a non-exotic pet ability really seems like a stupid idea in my opinion. What is the point in a BM hunter's 51 talent then.... to have a cosmetically different pet?

Some examples:
    -Lava Breath (Core Hound - E) - Your pet breathes a double gout of molten lava at the target, reducing the target's casting speed by 25% for 10 sec. / 30 yd range, Instant, 8 sec cooldown (No longer deals damage) **I like how lava breath doesn't hurt you, must be cool lava**
    -Frost Breath (Chimaera - E) - Your pet simultaneously breathes frost and lightning at an enemy target, slowing the target for 5 sec. / 30 yd range, Instant, 10 sec cooldown (No longer deals damage) **still shoots lightning and cold, just the lightning doesn't hurt, it helps you read books in the dark**
    -Venom Web Spray (Silithid - E) - Sprays toxic webs at the target, preventing movement for 5 sec. / 30 yd range, Instant, 40 sec cooldown (Up from 4 sec, no longer deals damage)
    **grats your exotic pet is now just a re-skinned spider**

Seriously hoping that's a bug or not final. Seems real real stupid. Glad I don't play a BM hunter.
    You get Bloodlust from a pet. Nuff said -.- /thread

I swear... if Hunter's QQ after this change I will quit WoW. -.-

Giving a buff to another class which is already bought by 2 or more classes is screwing up?

Hunters will be able to bring all the buffs, yes, but it will be 3-4 buffs at a time. Many other classes can bring 6-7 buffs AT THE SAME TIME. Shamans and Paladins come to mind. Spriests are very strong in buffing too, so are DKs. Warriors are not far behind in buffing. Cats, Moonkins too.

If you guys are whining about Hunter pets bringing buffs, why are you not whining about Locks getting some serious utility from pets??? Locks are getting almost similar buffs to pets, only thing is Locks have fewer pets compared to Hunters.

BM hunters will be the strongest to bring buffs, MM and SV will be decent. I don't see anything wrong with that even though I play a Shaman. I wasn't upset when Mages got BL/Hero, and I am not upset with Hunter and Lock pets bringing buffs. My raiding spot is 100% safe and I don't worry about it a second. So if you're a good player, why do you worry?

In PvP, BM Hunters might look strong on paper, but the fact is that pets can still be killed, and once a BM Hunter looses his/her pet, it's almost game over.

You will need to tackle every team in a different style come Cataclysm. Adding much needed diversity to the game and making it more tough to win then just logging on a website, getting the best possible theory crafted tactics to win. Using burst mode easy games or the never ending Resto Druid chasing bullshit.

Wasn't this what people asked for? Diversity and difficulty? Then why are people whining now? You wanted difficulty, you get difficulty. Now shut up and use your brains to counter it, not your loudmouths.

The only thing I am upset about is why Blizzard took this long to give buffs to multiple classes, the TBC 'bring the class, fuck the player' fiasco was one of the most horrible things that happened in this game (happened a little in WotLK). Glad it's over. If they made buffs spread across classes this from the start, the whining would have never happened and the game would be in a better place. But it's better late then never!
    Quote Originally Posted by Culnar
    Sometimes people act like blizzard is their friend who betrayed them and now they're pissed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulpei View Post
    Actually the backlash from pandas is because alot of the people didn't grow up.

Quote Originally Posted by Myrsky View Post
    You get Bloodlust from a pet. Nuff said -.- /thread

I swear... if Hunter's QQ after this change I will quit WoW. -.-
    Yes, but the only way it will ever be used is if you don't have a shaman or mage anyways. It's not as if the hunter can pull out a Core Hound mid-fight if the Shaman dies or something.

I hope it's just a bug or not final, but for blizzard to take exotic pet abilities and remove the damage aspect of the ability and make it a clone of a non-exotic pet ability really seems like a stupid idea in my opinion. What is the point in a BM hunter's 51 talent then.... to have a cosmetically different pet?

Some examples:
    -Lava Breath (Core Hound - E) - Your pet breathes a double gout of molten lava at the target, reducing the target's casting speed by 25% for 10 sec. / 30 yd range, Instant, 8 sec cooldown (No longer deals damage) **I like how lava breath doesn't hurt you, must be cool lava**
    -Frost Breath (Chimaera - E) - Your pet simultaneously breathes frost and lightning at an enemy target, slowing the target for 5 sec. / 30 yd range, Instant, 10 sec cooldown (No longer deals damage) **still shoots lightning and cold, just the lightning doesn't hurt, it helps you read books in the dark**
    -Venom Web Spray (Silithid - E) - Sprays toxic webs at the target, preventing movement for 5 sec. / 30 yd range, Instant, 40 sec cooldown (Up from 4 sec, no longer deals damage)
    **grats your exotic pet is now just a re-skinned spider**

Seriously hoping that's a bug or not final. Seems real real stupid. Glad I don't play a BM hunter.
    Okay, having the pets have quintessential buffs and debuffs is probably the best thing that can ever happen to hunters. Especially with MM right now, with piercing shots, one of the biggest dps losses in a 10 man is not having a 30% bleed damage debuff, but now if you don't have one in the group you can pop out a hyena and voila.

Just 1 example.

10+ Year Old Account
    whole point of them doing this imo, is to make hunters more desirable and versatile in PvE.
    Where as in now, most people want hunters as ranged & for Misdirect or certain buffs for a raid.
    In Cataclysm, you can bet people will expect a lot more from hunters, especially with Heroism/Bloodlust Core Hound lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Naphta
    The tank is the driver, healer is the fuel. And the DPS are the kids sitting in the back crying about if they're there yet. And this is coming from a DPS.

Unwarranted fear is unwarranted. Just logged off my hunter on the beta. While the attacks themselves don't deal damage anymore, the pets are extremely powerful with the mastery bonus and the insane stat scaling. My dragonhawk's melee attacks are critting like my frost DK's Oblits back in ICC. Kill Command hits like a fucking truck. Caml down or reroll. Hunters are fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightfist View Post
    He was all like "DEATH STRIKE!" and then he was all like "RUNE TAP!" and then Sarth was like "Skillz, bro." and died.
    Quote Originally Posted by bahamut5
    Jolly good thread folks. Too bad that it was locked.
    See what I did there?