Bunch of Delivery Status Notification (Failure) for emails I didn't send

Today when I checked my email I had 20 or so emails saying that it failed it send emails people. These emails I never sent - it was the typical 'Blizzard Hacker' email.

Upon searching my sent box, I found out I sent something towards 100 emails out to random emails proclaiming this email scam.

So now I'm wondering: Should I abandon my email address or something? I mean everything was linked to that email... And how did this even happen, and does it pose greater threats to me later?

This also makes me wonder - how do these scammers get peoples emails? I mean I've been getting emails from them for ages.

15+ Year Old Account
    Were they in your sent folder or just in your inbox? If they were just in your inbox, then someone is spoofing your email, causing failed sends (bounces) to come back to you. If they were in your sent folder, your email has most likely been compromised.

From experience...it's always easier just to start fresh. Changing emails on forums, sites etc is easier and a lot less worry! Always thinking someone is in your email reading your stuff and doing god knows what.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SiNz View Post
    From experience...it's always easier just to start fresh. Changing emails on forums, sites etc is easier and a lot less worry! Always thinking someone is in your email reading your stuff and doing god knows what.
    Spoken like someone who has never used an email address for anything serious or for a prolonged period of time. For me to change my current email would be a gigantic headache and take a tremendous amount of effort. Four years of use makes it a pain in the ass to change.

Actually I had an email I used for 6yrs+ get compromised by a hacker for my WoW acc. I had to change all my forum emails, internet banking, paypal etc..So I understand EXACTLY how much of a pain in the ass it can be.

So please get over yourself and avoid judging strangers on the little information you know about them.

And I stick by my previous statement, it's a lot easier and less stressful to change to another email. Takes a bit of time, but the piece of mind is worth it.

There were a bunch of sent ones in my sent box. However, I did just change my password - so I figure I will see if it happens again before going through the trouble.

Thanks for the replies though, and I really do not like the idea of going through the hassle of the change of email.

Does anyone have an idea for how they even get your email addresses? as well as everyone else they're sending to?

Keylogging program.

Also it might be an idea to make a password in character map. Copy n Paste your password from now on, instead of typing it.

keylogger? maaan I haven't typed out my email in ages! I've always copy and pasted it.

---------- Post added 2010-09-12 at 11:44 AM ----------

Oooh so gmail has told me the IP address of who accessed my email, some guy from Japan. Is there anything I can do with this?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by logield View Post
    keylogger? maaan I haven't typed out my email in ages! I've always copy and pasted it.

---------- Post added 2010-09-12 at 11:44 AM ----------

Oooh so gmail has told me the IP address of who accessed my email, some guy from Japan. Is there anything I can do with this?
    1. Copy/paste does nothing against any keylogger made in the last decade or so.
    2. You have the guy's IP address. You can't really do much. You'd have to request the name of the person who had the IP lease at the time of the hijack from their ISP. The ISP would laugh at you without a warrant. The police (or court, if you would go that direction) would probably also laugh at you. Even with a warrant, a Japanese ISP wouldn't necessarily have to comply. On top of this, the IP you have is probably either a proxy or another hijacked computer.