Page 1 of 8
... LastLast

I Never Realized The Hate Other Communities Have For WoW

I've been playing WoW since the beginning back in 2004 during the open beta. Been with it on and off till now. I have played other mmos and tried them out but never really paid much attention to their communities.

Recently I got a bit interested in that new FF MMO coming out(it actually pretty terrible now that I tried it out) and I was shocked by the blind hatred other MMO communities have for WoW. It's so strong to the point that the community attacks developers when they make improvements to the game for making it more like "WoW".

In FFXIV the UI is abhorrent. To do anything other than chat or auto attack you have to open this massive menu that slides in from the right that takes up 1/3 of your screen and has this god awful list selections that you have to click, which are tiny and difficult to do so or use the up and down keys to scroll it.

People that make suggestions to stream line the terrible UI because it is so overly unintutitive get met with a massive community of FF fan boys that say, "The UI is fine, this isn't WoW, not everything needs to be easy."

Seriously!? People hate WoW so much that they will gimp their own game because they are affraid improvements will make it more WoW like?

You rent Chocobo mounts in that game, which have a timer that can randomly kick you off the mount after it ends, there is no box telling you when it is up, and once you dismount you have to go back to town to get another.

Someone suggested that you could buy permanent mounts for a huge sum of money, and the got attacked "The randomly ending of your mount ability adds surprise and a thrill to the game if you are in a dangerous area, no need to make this game more like wow."

I was just shocked. I know the community here at WoW isn't the best and trade chat morons are annoying, but I have never seen someone hate a game so much they defend flaws of their own game because they hate WoW so much.

it's kinda funny, here in wow, we like "borrowing" UIs and such from every game whe nthey are better, in the other games they hate "borrowing" our UIs lol... we are the ones that end winning that way

It drives me mad when I read the TOR forums and people are flaming devs for decisions that are similar to mechanics in WoW or other posters for making suggestions that are similar to mechanics in WoW. WoW has ~11M subs for a reason, folks. Even WoW fans may disagree with a lot of the design decisions, but all in all, it's the best MMO on the market.

I guess it's a simple case of "haters gonna hate" - even if it makes no sense. I play both Halo and CoD and I don't see why those two communities endlessly rage on each other either.

this, among other many reasons, is why WoW wont be killed by a non-Blizzard mmo, or just by blizz letting it die

its just like everything else, everyone who isnt a part of the majority hates the majority and tries to setup their little minority and then when it fails they hate the majority even more for their success

Just like successful people, WoW is being hated by losers/ignorants in general.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Voice of Reason View Post
    It drives me mad when I read the TOR forums and people are flaming devs for decisions that are similar to mechanics in WoW or other posters for making suggestions that are similar to mechanics in WoW. WoW has ~11M subs for a reason, folks. Even WoW fans may disagree with a lot of the design decisions, but all in all, it's the best MMO on the market.

I guess it's a simple case of "haters gonna hate" - even if it makes no sense. I play both Halo and CoD and I don't see why those two communities endlessly rage on each other either.
    fanboyism? :x (which is what happens..)
    Lokann ogar!
    /brofist
    lotharion: "inserting the Lich King as a scooby doo villain didn't exactly make him scary in the slightest."

10+ Year Old Account
    some people just like to go to arms length for 'fun'.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zlygork View Post
    it's kinda funny, here in wow, we like "borrowing" UIs and such from every game
    Not to mention addon developers. I'm all for the WoW UI and I love the way it's customizable, but I dislike the fact that Blizz tend to take ideas from addon developers and implement them into their native game UI without as much as a "How do you do". Other than that, yeah we're winning, and haters gonna hate.

10+ Year Old Account
    too bad a lot of diablo fans hate wow too since a lot of things in wow comes from diablo :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Voice of Reason View Post

Fanboiys, that is all

The worst part is how childish it can get. They'll often make fun of players or the game with no real understanding. IF you ask them to name off some real reasons, they just resort to insults.
    Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    I [opinion] [cataclysm feature] and you should to. Anything who disagrees with me that [cataclysm feature] is [opinion] is a big [insult].
    I asked all of my friends and they all agreed with me that [cataclysm feature] is as [opinion] as it is possible to be.
    Blizzard are so [opinion], what [compliment/insult]s they all are!

There, now we can stop posting new topics in the Cataclysm forum altogether.
    And if you disagree with me you're an [insult].

10+ Year Old Account
    rofl. just because WoW is superior, people hate it. rofl.

I remember I use to hate on WoW simply because it was the "cool" thing to do while playing other MMOs. After I got bored of pretty much every MMO that tried to "kill" WoW I went back to WoW and felt a fool for leaving in the first place. I couldn't find a single MMO that was better than WoW. They all felt soulless compared to WoW.

To put it simply Sleepless Dreams, it really isn't about hate, and more that those communities' fearing their game will become like WoW. You know, popular. There is always going to be a small but vocal segment of a gaming community that wants their game to be as convoluted and confusing as possible so that new users are turned away. And because they are willing to stick with it and understand it, they can feel "special" because they stuck around. It is similar to people around here who clamor for a return of attunements, claiming that boring and pointless timesinks make raiding feel "special". And those who mocked WoW in the first place because they considered countless hours of mindless grinding to be some sort of badge of honor, and felt WoW's accessible questing system robbed them of that.

The developer who fells the great beast that is WoW is the developer that understands that those communities, while vocal, are a small minority and should be treated with relative disregard. A developer's job is not to create an exclusive club, complete with hazing rituals. It is their job to create a game that can be enjoyed by as many people as possible. There is a huge difference between "challenge" and "barriers to entry" and sadly, understanding that difference is difficult for most developers, which is why their games so consistently fail.

WoW is a curse... all know it in the first place.. thats why no one wants to play it... but suddenly someone makes a friend ''test it'' (spread the curse) and the friend becomes addicted and can't stop whatsoever! some breaks this curse... i haven't succeded yet tho

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll View Post
    some people just like to go to arms length for 'fun'.
    This is more like "chopping off both arms for 'fun'"

Seriously, a mount you have to rent? How would anyone even think that's a good idea, much less superior to WoW?

Honestly, its one thing to hate WoW, but a UI is pretty generic and WoW's can be used by any MMO. Heck Warhammer's is basically the same. Why make a more difficult, more retarded one? That's not what makes a game difficult, that's what makes a game frustrating. If anything, improve on WoW's UI, don't make it worse.

People who confuse tedium with difficulty should not be allowed near MMOs, as players or devs, on pain of death.
    Putin khuliyo

I like to login to various free MMO's and bring up the topic "WOW IS SO MUCH BETTER".

It's pretty entertaining. Also people like to feel good about themselves, and sometimes that involves defaming the more popular "things". We see that in music and fashion a lot, it's not so surprising to see it in the rabid fanboys for games.

in robotics the kids who play wow were being bullied by the kids who played d&D

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ryoukthebloodelf View Post
    in robotics the kids who play wow were being bullied by the kids who played d&D
    Why can't we live in a world where DnD and WoW are acceptable!

Both are awesome

<3 DnD <3 WoW