10+ Year Old Account

ATI card + Nvidia for PhysX?

Could some1 explain this for me? I get the impression some people are using a ATI graphics card for their main use and a Nvidia card for PhysX. do these work together?

Nope not that i know. Once i used a nvidea and a ati in 1 computer and it gived errors for me like blue screens etc. Dont know where you heard that people use ATI and NVIDEA cards in 1 system but they get alot errors then

Deleted
    Isnt it a windows 7 only feature..

The last time i checked, there was a protection in the Nvidia drivers against this, but it was possible to bypass it. That was months ago, so I might be wrong here.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by haxartus View Post
    The last time i checked, there was a protection in the Nvidia drivers against this, but it was possible to bypass it. That was months ago, so I might be wrong here.
    Yep, there is a registry tools fixer that some1 has made

Mostly pointless curiosity thing right now since Nvidia cards are better than ATI in performance. No need to do this kind of trickery unless you have old Nvidia card lying around you want to stick in as an PhysX processor.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Yeah I agree even the guy who wrote the thread said he didn't see much gain from it. Grats on post # 2,000.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    Mostly pointless curiosity thing right now since Nvidia cards are better than ATI in performance. No need to do this kind of trickery unless you have old Nvidia card lying around you want to stick in as an PhysX processor.
    Top 4 grapgics cards in the world are ATI cards.
    1: Asus HD5870x2 "Ares" 4Gb
    2: Sapphire HD5970 "Toxic" 4Gb
    3: RAdeon HD5970 4Gb
    4: Radeon HD5970 2Gb

Quote Originally Posted by pangeltveit View Post
    Top 4 grapgics cards in the world are ATI cards.
    Umm... Nope. GTX480 is faster. Even without watercooling. http://hothardware.com/Reviews/EVGA-...Review/?page=8

And that watercooled card can be OC'd for 30% more speed from that test.

edit:

Funny how all those 4 cards you listed have 2 GPU's and there aren't any of those for sale from Nvidia side...
    Last edited by vesseblah; 2010-09-13 at 07:29 PM.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Herald of the Titans pansertjald's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    Umm... Nope. GTX480 is faster. Even without watercooling. http://hothardware.com/Reviews/EVGA-...Review/?page=8

And that watercooled card can be OC'd for 30% more speed from that test.

edit:

Funny how all those 4 cards you listed have 2 GPU's and there aren't any of those for sale from Nvidia side...
    the Asus HD5870x2 "Ares" 4Gb is the fastes gfx card in the world. it cost 1467 euro`s here in denmark
    the other cards on the list are not faster then Nvidia. pangeltveit is forgetting that the 3 other cards on hes list are dual gpu cards and if you put 2x gtx 480 cards together they will eat the 3 other cards on the list.
    but the Ares card is hte fastes card in the world and it will eat 2x gtx 480 cards.

Vesseblah you can buy all 4 cards here in denmark. don`t know why they aren`t on Nvidia`s side. but they are real all 4 cards
    AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 C30 : PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 GRE Hellhound OC: CORSAIR HX850i: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: fiio e10k: lian-li pc-o11 dynamic XL:

Quote Originally Posted by pansertjald View Post
    the Asus HD5870x2 "Ares" 4Gb is the fastes gfx card in the world. it cost 1467 euro`s here in denmark
    the other cards on the list are not faster then Nvidia. pangeltveit is forgetting that the 3 other cards on hes list are dual gpu cards and if you put 2x gtx 480 cards together they will eat the 3 other cards on the list.
    but the Ares card is hte fastes card in the world and it will eat 2x gtx 480 cards.

Vesseblah you can buy all 4 cards here in denmark. don`t know why they aren`t on Nvidia`s side. but they are real all 4 cards
    I think he meant Nvidia has no dual GPU cards. The card is essentially two 5870 graphics cores running on a single card in a CrossFire configuration. I haven't compared benchmarks with other cards but I think you are confused. It is the fastest single card out but is basically 2 cards in one. 2 480's would still be faster than this one card. Also the Ares takes up 3 slots.
    Last edited by Dethh; 2010-09-13 at 08:35 PM.

Herald of the Titans pansertjald's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dethh View Post
    I think he meant Nvidia has no dual GPU cards.
    hehe yeah i can see now that i miss read what he ment and i my self wrote Nvidia`s side

asus are working on a Nvidia gtx 480 like the Ati Ares. and when it comes it will be the fastes gxf card in the world
    AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 C30 : PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 GRE Hellhound OC: CORSAIR HX850i: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: fiio e10k: lian-li pc-o11 dynamic XL:

10+ Year Old Account
    Although the cards I wrote have 2 GPU's in CFX, they are still reffered to as A Card

Making a Nvidia high end dual GPU graphic card is currently pointless (at least for mass production), because it would consume more than 300W. Which means they can't sell it as PCI-E compatible.
    Last edited by haxartus; 2010-09-13 at 10:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by haxartus View Post
    Making a Nvidia high end dual GPU graphic card is currently pointless (at least for mass production), because it would consume more than 300W. Which means they can't sell it as PCI-E compatible.
    There isn't much point in $1500 Asus ARES either when a pair of GTX480's in SLI beats it badly and costs $500 less. Things like ARES or dual GPU Fermi cards are meant for people with more money than brains, so breaking PCIe specification will be the least of their worries.

Also because of the way the ARES card is built (it takes 3 expansion slots instead of 2), you can have only two of those in off-the-shelf motherboard, but you can stick up to four GTX480's into SLI making the Nvidia solution more powerful as a whole. Can but probably shouldn't.
    Last edited by vesseblah; 2010-09-13 at 10:59 PM.
    Trolling should be.