Thread: Ptr=beta??

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by procne View Post
    to test what? what would they want to test by enabling new zones?
    why would they release new content to public before cataclysm comes?
    Thats why the PTR only has class changes really...

Its just for balancing reasons.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dcemuser View Post
    Originally Posted by http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=26725676005&amp (Blue Tracker / Official Forums)
    Flying in Azeroth will not be possible until your account is upgraded to Cataclysm. Patch 4.0.1 is slated to be released prior to Cataclysm and will not include the changes to the old world or any content exclusive to Cataclysm. This patch will apply many systems, class, and user interface changes. It's very similar in nature to the major patches which preceded the releases of The Burning Crusade and Wrath of the Lich King.
    Do you?
    Hmmm. I missed that one, they definatly said previously that old world changes would come with the pre-patch

They might want to test out if the transition between the two works properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Azalu View Post
    Hmmm. I missed that one, they definatly said previously that old world changes would come with the pre-patch
    Ofc it will be released in a patch before cataclysm, so that everyone may smoothly transfer to new world without having 7 million people suddenly having to downloag 5GB on same day.

They might want to test out if the transition between the two works properly.
    yes, this would make some sense, but i dont think they need actual players to test that
    I have enough of EA ruining great franchises and studios, forcing DRM and Origin on their games, releasing incomplete games only to sell day-1 DLCs or spill dozens of DLCs, and then saying it, and microtransactions, is what players want, stopping players from giving EA games poor reviews, as well as deflecting complaints with cheap PR tricks.

I'm not going to buy any game by EA as long as they continue those practices.

I was comparing the live realm to the PTR realm today... and I noticed that the ground clutter was moving in contrast to the static ground clutter in live. Now this has virtually nothing to do with them releasing the new zones in 4.0.1 (very doubtful), but I just thought I'd point out that they added this, as well as a slight touching up of some textures such as Elwynn Forest's ground texture.

That said PTR does not equal beta. The beta patch notes weren't removed from the launcher by neglect or mistake.
    Stabby stab stab.
    Avatar courtesy of Kelly Aarons of woweh.com

Stress tests. They gotta make sure that servers with large amounts of people can handle all the new stress put onto them.

---------- Post added 2010-09-13 at 07:47 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Azalu View Post
    Ya I believe even Tom Chilton said in that interview like.. 2 weeks ago they were going to. I am going to take a guess that they have it set up like the Gnomer/EI events. You download it with 4.0.1 but it is turned off until they week (or day) before Cataclysm is released and then they turn it all on.

Quote Originally Posted by Togarox View Post
    Stress tests. They gotta make sure that servers with large amounts of people can handle all the new stress put onto them.
    so they want to lure loads of people with new content just to make regular stress tests? and what is this "all the new stress"?
    I have enough of EA ruining great franchises and studios, forcing DRM and Origin on their games, releasing incomplete games only to sell day-1 DLCs or spill dozens of DLCs, and then saying it, and microtransactions, is what players want, stopping players from giving EA games poor reviews, as well as deflecting complaints with cheap PR tricks.

so they want to lure loads of people with new content just to make regular stress tests? and what is this "all the new stress"?
    http://www.wowwiki.com/Stress_test

Thats for beta testing. Not PTR

Originally Posted by Nethaera (Blue Tracker / Official Forums)
    Q. The launcher says I need to download 16 gigs of data. Why so much?
    A. In order to fully test the new Launcher and streaming system, all game data is being provided by the Launcher (or the game.) The PTR installer did not provide any game data, nor did it re-use any of your existing retail game data .

as they say... dont teach a father how to make babies.

I know what stress tests are, i just cant see why they would need new content on PTRs to make stress tests. New content doesnt put additional stress on servers. If you think otherwise then say how exactly they do

Quote Originally Posted by babyback View Post
    Thats for beta testing. Not PTR
    Kinda hard to do stress tests on a server with only a couple hundred people.

---------- Post added 2010-09-13 at 08:16 PM ----------

as they say... dont teach a father how to make babies.

I know what stress tests are, i just cant see why they would need new content on PTRs to make stress tests. New content doesnt put additional stress on servers. If you think otherwise then say how exactly they do
    I'm not saying that they are going to do that, I am just stating that it would be an example as to your question.