Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vorpal View Post
    Thing is that procing LS does not climp our dps as long as it does not fall off, since fulmination just does LS damage added up. If the shields are proced themselves it doesn't matter, just saves GCD slots, the thing is not having to re cast the LS since letting it fall off hurts both our mana and dps, reapplying it consumes 1 GCD. Anyway it dosen't matter that much since we will be able to change our glyphs any time we are out of combat:P
    the problem is that it does affect our dps - Flumination does LS orbs damage for the stacks beyound the first 3 and on the ptr it hits quite hard tbh (comparison: average 18-19k Lavas and 23-25k fluminations, or on my lucky tests 21k Lavas and 30k+ fluminations all without the earth shock damage). If it hits so hard u'll want to cast it as soon as u can and everything that postpones that would logically be a dps loss?

also this:
    Quote Originally Posted by Vorpal View Post
    Guys i think you are missing a point here... i am speaking clearly elemental now having 3 stacks is the requirement for fulmination, SO if we get hit at 3 stacks we have to stop dpsing to reapply the shield, if not then the next +1 from rolling thunder will be useless since we will get back at 3... now using the glyph means we won't have to worry about LS at any point during the encounter. And there aren't many interesting Major glyphs to begin with...

I would go with:
    Lightning Shield - Your lightning shield can no longer drop below 3 charges from dealing damage to attackers.
    Shocking - Reduces the global cooldown triggered by your shock spells to 1 second.
    Thunder - Reduces the cooldown on Thunderstorm by 10 seconds.

I don't see many dps oriented glyphs anyway:P
    And nazrakin, yes it won't help u if u get an orb burned above the 3 stacks..and it might be situational but it does about one thing - ensure u will not need to recast LS for the next 10m And look at quote above, there aren't many dps oriented glyphs cuz majors are utility mostly/marginal dps gains/incalculable ones. Although unless they create fights where tS would be useful i'd go with 5% gw speed instead of thunder glyph

Edit: just logged the ptr...sadly Shocking is a primal glyph So umm yeah there's not a single str8 dps Major, atm :
    -chain heal
    -chain lightning
    -Elem mastery
    -GW

-Healing wave
    -Grounding totem
    -Hex
    -Lightning shield
    -Shamanistic rage
    -Stoneclaw
    -thunder
    -totemic recall
    -Fire nova
    -frost shock
    -Healing stream totem

Bolded the ones i picked for my shamy, and sorry for the wall of text lol :O
    Last edited by mmocc65b7f111f; 2010-09-22 at 07:18 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by orange-cow View Post
    Lightning Shield Glyph
    Your Lightning Shield can no longer drop below 3 charges from dealing damage to attackers.

does it mean Lightning Shield wouldnt have to be re-cast all over since its always have 3 charges with this glyph?

the "dealing damage" kinda ambigous to me tho. note that Fulmination and Static Shock are the talents that make this shield be an offensive spell (dealing damage to attackers), and both talents clearly state it dont use up any default charges of the shield. if it is, then this glyph is...pointless.
    basically its stated that when static shock procs a Shield damage it wont reduce the buff below 3 at any time so u wont have to recast it unless u take a hit to the face

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's basically saying it wont fall unless it gets purged.

Quote Originally Posted by Archimand View Post
    in terms of dps using the gcd to apply lightning shield is worse then shocking so it is a dps increase glyph for pve, i will personally use it
    We have lots of time with out new rotation, GCD will NOT be an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by nazrakin View Post
    I do agree its a much bigger concern for Elemental than Enhancement.
    I'd say it's the other way around. For Elemental the odds of it falling off with out the glyphs should be pretty low as you would need to have used fulmination and then have all three orbs eaten before your lightning bolt procs an extra charge of lightning shield. Elemental adding extra charges as part of doing dps should cover the occasional orb consumption with out a problem. For enhancement you have nothing like that and if 3 charges get eaten you have to refresh it. Granted this shouldn't be as much of an issue as we shouldn't be GCD limited but it is still something else we have to watch for and another button/keybind. Just going by how quickly my 4 charges of water shield can get eaten up in ICC 3 charges of lightning shield can go pretty quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Oneleg View Post
    We have lots of time with out new rotation, GCD will NOT be an issue.
    Norty! You have 0 free GCDs, they should all be spent casting, constantly. Given that the other major glyphs do not contain a DPS boost, the obvious choices are this, GW and EM

Deleted
    i agree it will be slightly useful for ele, but its clearly way more for enhance. if static shock doesnt consume charges then lightning shield is pretty much fire and forget for enhance. i may still glyph it for ele but im not sure, itll only be useful for just after using fulmination.

Quote Originally Posted by evan_s View Post
    I'd say it's the other way around. For Elemental the odds of it falling off with out the glyphs should be pretty low as you would need to have used fulmination and then have all three orbs eaten before your lightning bolt procs an extra charge of lightning shield. Elemental adding extra charges as part of doing dps should cover the occasional orb consumption with out a problem. For enhancement you have nothing like that and if 3 charges get eaten you have to refresh it. Granted this shouldn't be as much of an issue as we shouldn't be GCD limited but it is still something else we have to watch for and another button/keybind. Just going by how quickly my 4 charges of water shield can get eaten up in ICC 3 charges of lightning shield can go pretty quickly.
    Trust me, there are times in the rotation where you have 4-5 seconds of doing nothing but auto attack. There will be plenty time to recast if it ever falls off. Its a bigger deal for elemntal because if they do happen to get hit in that small window where they only have 3 orbs, and they'll have to waste a GCD to recast LS, and casters don't have the luxury of "down time" that melee will have in cataclysm.

---------- Post added 2010-09-22 at 10:43 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Blankspace View Post
    And nazrakin, yes it won't help u if u get an orb burned above the 3 stacks..and it might be situational but it does about one thing - ensure u will not need to recast LS for the next 10m And look at quote above, there aren't many dps oriented glyphs cuz majors are utility mostly/marginal dps gains/incalculable ones. Although unless they create fights where tS would be useful i'd go with 5% gw speed instead of thunder glyph

Edit: just logged the ptr...sadly Shocking is a primal glyph So umm yeah there's not a single str8 dps Major, atm :
    -chain heal
    -chain lightning
    -Elem mastery
    -GW

-Healing wave
    -Grounding totem
    -Hex
    -Lightning shield
    -Shamanistic rage
    -Stoneclaw
    -thunder
    -totemic recall
    -Fire nova
    -frost shock
    -Healing stream totem

Bolded the ones i picked for my shamy, and sorry for the wall of text lol :O
    There won't be any DPS majors, Blizz wants the majors to be more utility/quality of life focused.

Playing around with the elemental rotation, the time between 3 charges and 4 is very tiny, you'd have to be real unlucky to constantly lose charges during that period. I do agree that theres nothing else worthwhile for elemental, so having this purely as insurance aint bad.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's pretty much needed for leveling too. Can't forget that - it will save a lot of mana, gcd's etc. I don't think I'll ever want to not have this glyph after leveling with it

Quote Originally Posted by M4d2m0A View Post
    Actually I'm enhance, my sig is kind of misleading, click it and go to my armory.
    Like I said in the above post, I could totally see this being worth it for solo or questing. In a raiding scene however, consuming orbs from boss aoe is actually a bug and not intended. Resto shammies would have near-infinite mana if it wasn't.
    For enhance, we don't consume LS charges when our static shock procs in cata.
    For elemental, rolling thunder is going to be constantly giving you stacks. It procs a lot. If you're not pvping or questing, I see this as just being a glyph for the lazy.
    I'd like to see some evidence of this. Most boss mechanics can be lumped into a couple categories, targeted or area based. Attacks like bloodblot whirl, vile gas, and boiling blood are actually targeted not area based. As near as I can tell any ability targeted at you can take away a shield orb, and that is not a bug. If standing in the fire causes the boss to take shield orb hits that would be a bug. There are a lot more targeted attacks than you think, personally I see this glyph as rather useful in a PvE setting, perhaps not mandatory but I do believe that without it you're going to need to keep a keybind for your lightning shield since many bosses will proc shield orbs off you from normal encounter mechanics, with the glyph you can probably just refresh it with your normal precombat buffing routine.

---------- Post added 2010-09-23 at 12:21 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by nazrakin View Post
    Its a bigger deal for elemntal because if they do happen to get hit in that small window where they only have 3 orbs, and they'll have to waste a GCD to recast LS, and casters don't have the luxury of "down time" that melee will have in cataclysm.
    This seems to imply that if you get knocked down to 2 orbs you can no longer get extra's through rolling thunder. Maybe I'm wrong but that's not how I read this talent. I would think that the time required to strip away all 3 charges would be quite long compared to the generation rate of charges, at least in PvE. As long as that's true no Ele shaman would need to refresh his/her shield even if they do drop below 3 charges.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    I pity people who have gotten so insensate to disrespect and abuse from repetition that they have elevated being jaded to a virtue.

Quote Originally Posted by Fornaw View Post
    This seems to imply that if you get knocked down to 2 orbs you can no longer get extra's through rolling thunder. Maybe I'm wrong but that's not how I read this talent. I would think that the time required to strip away all 3 charges would be quite long compared to the generation rate of charges, at least in PvE. As long as that's true no Ele shaman would need to refresh his/her shield even if they do drop below 3 charges.
    Thats not what I mean, its bad wording on my part. What I mean is that recasting LS is much more detrimental to Elemental than Enhancement. Enhancement can easily afford the GCD to do so, Elemental doesn't have one to spare since they are always chain casting.

I don't think anyone will really use this for pve. Some Elementals might just because there isnt a decent 3rd major for them. I think Enhancement has some more interesting choices, especially if totem/ae remain as bad as they are.