Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Priest being the worst arena healer?

Seriously, I'm getting terribly annoyed.

My disc. priest, is at 27.8k HP buffed, 1.2k resiliance, 400 haste and 2,8k SP with Inner Fire.
    Full relentless, all PvP pieces except weapons. Is there actually a WAY to survive someone with MS as priest?

I'm playing with an affliction warlock currently and whenever a class with MS shows up, we're pretty much doomed. Mind you, this is lowrated, 1.2k currently, but I can't find myself playing that terrible that it would cause us losing every game against MS!

Is there something I'm doing wrong? Doesn't matter if I'm getting targeted or my lock, we will get killed. I don't even NOTICE my barrier absorbing any damage and my heals are god dam weak compared to other healers, add MS on that = GG. My penance is practically ticking for about 1.2k with MS on.

Now, I'm looking for advice, but the reason I put this in the PvP section is this question: do you find priest weaker than other classes? Or do you think that they gained the dispel for lesser healing (and absorbs)? I can't even think of priests as being even good with any other classes than Rogue and Mage, considered they can live quite well on their own.

Discuss.

kinda wondering if your trolling or not?

kinda seems like it, if your losing on a priest in arena

Then what class are you playing? If you can't kill a priest, you're bad.

And god, being on the MMO-C forums is just getting more and more depressing. "u b troll" 24/7 god dam.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    I have to agree that priests can be a bit squishy vs physical dmg dealers. Though, they have the best dispels in the game and best dmg of all the healers. I have a disc priest myself that I played to ~1800-1900 early this season in 2s with a rogue (I had like 23k HP, 700 res, 3.1k SP and almost 0 haste buffed. The rogue had about equal gear). I even played a bit with a warrior a few weeks ago, around 1900 MMR. I didn't really feel that weak in any of those setups (my gear is still a bit bad), exept vs 2x PvE geared dps.

Thing is, you need quite a bit of support from your dps to be able to survive. If that is through peeling the enemy dps off you (kidney + crippling for example), or doing high dmg so it has to go defensive doesn't matter. If ya face a melee dps + healer and the dps decides to go for you, just keep pulling it out of LoS of enemy healer and let him die or make him run back to the healer to get healed up (and then you heal yourself up aswell). If the enemy dps doesn't run away, just spam CC the healer as it runs in to heal him (10 sec of LoS + 15 sec of fear will make them use a CD, or the dps will die). Also, try to avoid geting interupted, since as a priest, if you're on low HP, that could mean that you'll die without a chance to do much to stop it (you don't really have bubble or swiftmend) - Fakecast a lot. Holy nova is also nice as a bit of extra healing when runing.

Oh, and about if priest is the weakest healer. Nah, not really. I'd say Resto shaman is quite a bit weaker (that's one reason why they're almost all Ele). Even though Resto Shamans have mail armor, I still find them a lot easier to kill than a Disc Priest when playing my Arms Warrior. Supose priest is the 2nd weakest healer, though.

PS. For those that wonder, I never did any serious arena on my priest. Mostly played for fun with friends, also the reason I never bothered gearing it fully.
    Last edited by Arka90; 2010-09-21 at 02:49 PM.

Probably just player error. I play a priest, and we rarely lose when Im actually getting a chance to heal. We lose when they are on one of my teamates, and I get CCed, or they are on me and my teamates cant peel them off. If you are able to just spam heals, no one should die.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0H3-N9zoI5c Amazing video of 60+ devilsaurs raiding Undercity!

My God, what a horrible creation. People seeing what they want? Thank God they tried to shy away from that. I know it pisses me off when I'm in an heroic raid, yet in the back of my head all I can think is 'some casual player is playing a heroic dungeon and not wiping.' -Vodkarn

Well, I get your points, but I pretty much try to do all of the above. Mainly fakecasting, which is pretty funny and successful. I really appreciate your constructive post too, you don't see them too often anymore

I guess the support from my DD is important, but against other priest teams it's just getting dispelled. Guess we have to go for doublefears.

Again, thanks again for the constructive post.

honestly, its just improving your playing skills as a priest. The problem with most priest teams in general is that they rely alot on your partners as well as you. Your lok needs to abuse the shadowflame glyph to peel melee off of u and he has to CC the healer while you waddle around. try not to LoS your lock because a quick fear can save your life. and using psychic scream is normally a bad idea considering the lock shares DR with your fears and a lok normally prefers having the control of the fight.

As disc, you will only beat other healer teams if you mana burn and assist in dps and control. Thats it. If you try to go mana vs. mana with any other healer you will lose that mana war.

Also, use Mind control when going for a kill attempt people don't expect it and it wins games honestly.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Chomag View Post
    Priest and shaman are the healers that I can solo as a dk. You know dks, the guys with the wet noodle as a main attack. Priest being the easiest to solo as his mana pool seems to go down rather fast. The shaman takes a while longer but it's inevitable that he will lose.

Holy palas and resto druids are diferent. I can't kill them and they can't kill me. Even dueled a resto druid for 20 minutes just trying to find a spot when his damn Innervate is on cd so he can't pop his mana bar back to full. I just did /yield when my wrist started to hurt.
    When you meet rdruids in 2's just constantly switch pressure where ever the hots aren't. Also holy paladins are fairly easy to lock down with our many interrupts to force the bubble easily.

Priest depends a lot on what comp ur playing and who you're facing. EX, RMP can destroy RLDs, but hunter teams can destroy rmp so badly.
    http://twitch.tv/VanguardsTV - Stream (Follow to know when I'm live!)
    http://twitter.com/VanguardsTV - Twitter
    http://facebook.com/Samk920 - Facebook
    http://youtube.com/SamK920 - YouTube Videos

Deleted
    just one word of advice though having a team of 2 holy priests wont work....
    priest handles themselves fine in arena as disc or shadow

Quote Originally Posted by lokna View Post
    kinda wondering if your trolling or not?

kinda seems like it, if your losing on a priest in arena
    kinda wondering if you're trolling or not, because you think priests are faceroll in arena...

priests have very specific conditions/comps they succeed in. RMP. priest mage, priest rogue, (maybe not any more but priest feral used to work well too) and probably a few other 3's comps (not sure if ret/rogue priest works anymore) but for the most part

priests are the offensive healer. grab a DPS that can peel for you (not a warlock preferably, shares your fear DR) and try to end games quick you will lose any mana war out there unless they're playing terribly and allowing you to drink.

get lots of DPS out in a rogues stuns or a deep freeze (two of the best priest comps in 2's) or alternatively manaburns, depending on the situation.

don't sit around and LOS and play defensively. it'll be a long loss again unless they play terribly

disclaimer: My experience with my priest this season is limited to BG's but last season I had a priest rogue team that almost got to 2k late in the season (after the heavy nerfs to the comp, mainly blind/fear sharing dr) I was stuck at 1650~1700 for a while because I was used to playing my druid healer very defensively, so being offensive and spending lots of mana on mana burns or DPS to put them on the defensive was veryforeign to me. once I started doing that instant jump up to 1850-1900.

it seems very counter-intuitive to spend mana on DPS to win the mana war but trust me on this one. Do it right and you'll get a kill before you oom. otherwise you're just waiting around to lose the mana war or hoping your teammate can carry you.

other than that, I play mage/priest *very* casually on my mage alt (who's in lol 232 gear and a few blues) and we're at ~1600 ish simply because we don't ever play it. it's a good comp still you just need to coordinate.

hope this helps

edit: keep in mind my "successful priest comps" are all supposed to be disc priests, shadow priests have other viable comps available to them, especially in 3's where they're in a very good spot right now.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    If [the dps] are on the wrong target, then they are playing badly and should be corrected and / or mocked, depending on how you roll.

Id have to agree with fizikz from past experiance if u know what ur doing a preist can do alot of things in pvp. ive wiped the floor with alot of group combinations that are supposablely preist killers...mainly bc my partern is pretty badass at keep shit off me while i mana burn/ other shit thier healer

Yo dawg, are you seriously complaining about disc priests in arena? YOUR DOING IT WRONG!
    I play 3 classes in arena, a mage, a rogue, and a shaman. THE only class i have problems on ALL 3 are disc priests... Disc priest is the most annoying thing to see in the arena imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Icebound98 View Post
    Id have to agree with fizikz from past experiance if u know what ur doing a preist can do alot of things in pvp. ive wiped the floor with alot of group combinations that are supposablely preist killers...mainly bc my partern is pretty badass at keep shit off me while i mana burn/ other shit thier healer
    This. Priest is a healer with MAJOR utility (mass dispel, fear, manaburn etc...), and so naturally has to sacrifice some survivability for it. If you have a mega partner who can peel well, then you're home and dry. If a dps can sit on you for 30 seconds ramming his axe up your bum, then you're going to die.
    Who is Chris Metzen? He is supposed to be Turkish. Some say his father was German. Nobody believed he was real. Nobody ever saw him or knew anybody that ever worked directly for him, but to hear Zarhym tell it, anybody could have worked for Metzen. You never knew. That was his power. The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist. And like that... poof! He's gone.

10+ Year Old Account
    Priests are crazy strong in pvp.
    Plus, with an affliction lock as a partner you should be getting pretty decent peels from fear/nightmare and exhaustion. My guess is you and your teammate aren't completely in tune with each other just yet.Warrior and rogue teams will be your hardest matches though, more warriors though as a lock can't really peel them off of you to well until their cool downs are gone. In that case your lock should cc the other guy and focus damage on the war while you try to stay alive.

Plus when your not healing, Id say throw a few smites and holy fire in there. The extra pressure can be game changing and often throws them off their game a little.
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    —Aristotle

i disagree sir

Priests are strong if they are played right.

Quote Originally Posted by Takanami View Post
    with an affliction lock as a partner you should be getting pretty decent peels from fear/nightmare and exhaustion. My guess is you and your teammate aren't completely in tune with each other just yet.
    ^^This seems like the most likely problem...

I play a dk and it's the only character I have on a 2's team and priests seem like the easiest thing to kill. Then again, I never noticed any of their partners ever try to peel me off...

No.

Play a half decent combo though, and you might have some more succes.

On another note, some of the DK's in this thread meet some really bad Druids and paladins.

I might just be facing undergeared priests, but they're the only healer class I can simply burst down without even trying to interrupt on my warrior.