Deleted

Testing Fire on PTR, Awesome results.

Earlier today around 2 PM people reported that the copy characters to the Pre-cataclysm PTR server finally worked - Europe.

Since then i've had the pleasure of trying out my Mage, reforging, and Fire ! And i most say, i've never enjoyed a class so much as i do now with the current build, pretty much every fire spell, whether it is Fire blast or scorch, or even LB (living bomb)
    has a new funny mechanism, and after all, that's exactly the word i wanna describe my class with "Fun"

So what are you're impressions of Blizzard's tries to ressurrect fire back to life in the upcoming expansion? I think they're doing great so far - It's amazing how well the spells work together, For instance, if i wanna aoe, but still keep a main target to nuke, i do the following. LB on 3 targets, scorch main target - (while running for extra lol) Wait for a proc, usually one of the first fireballs, fire blast proc = Resets the cooldown on Fire blast, stuns target for 2 sec, and spreads all dots, onto enemies within 12 yds. or Pyroblast proc - instant pyroblast, yes we all know that one. With my current mastery rating i gain and extra 43% dmg from all dots.

This may sound boring on paper, and my rotation is probably not right for maximum damage, but i'll learn.

Well back to topic, i think this is the greatest way fire have ever worked.

What are your thoughts feel free to discuss.
    Last edited by mmoc3e0efa8d7a; 2010-09-23 at 06:07 PM.

in fires current state, its not going to make it to live. way to much dmg. i went into a bg on my mage (not premade, furious / relentless gear and wrathful neck back etc) and i had 30 kills 1 death and 2 million dmg thats was in 25 mins. absolutely stunning, way more fun than frost.. shame it wont make it to live in the current state. nothing could kill me by the time they were dead

Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx View Post
    Yeah, looks a bit weird though, at least the movement animation. It needs to be slowed down a little so it doesn't look like someone with parkinsons.

Quote Originally Posted by Edok View Post
    in fires current state, its not going to make it to live. way to much dmg. i went into a bg on my mage (not premade, furious / relentless gear and wrathful neck back etc) and i had 30 kills 1 death and 2 million dmg thats was in 25 mins. absolutely stunning, way more fun than frost.. shame it wont make it to live in the current state. nothing could kill me by the time they were dead
    Do ppl in ptr have 80k HP as they will in Catalysem: no
    can results in ptr reflect much about pvp in lvl 85: no

just my 5 cents about what OP and whats not.

so some specs atm can train others on ptr, with massive diminishing returns on eg. Crit when u hit 85, fire wont be as crit - crit - dead opponent as it is now

15+ Year Old Account
    Thank god we haven't left you in charge of class balancing.
    BfA Beta Time

Wait until you see much haste/crit/hit % you will lose for each +80 level, and how much HP does everyone gains.

to both the brain dead idiots, this is ptr were talking about, not 85..

Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx View Post
    Yeah, looks a bit weird though, at least the movement animation. It needs to be slowed down a little so it doesn't look like someone with parkinsons.

Um, yeah, I'm pretty sure they realized that.

Your point is?

The 4.0 patch is essentially intended to have poor balance. It's balanced around 85 content and cataclysm since it is cata's prepatch. Lots of things may be OP or UP at level 80 with the 4.0 patch, they wont change them based upon non-cata problems, however.

public test TEST TEST TEST TEST TEST realms

C.M.S, My favorite thing to start the morning with.

I guess you have never seen a pre-expansion patch before this.

Lol everything is balanced around 85 so of course 80 is retarded atm for instance ret pallies are partly centered around a 81 ability or something which is why they blow on the ptr atm.
    If you ever played during the pre release patch from reg - bc and bc - wrath you know this happens, just have fun destroying people atm.
    Rogues don't have loyalties, they have contracts and their blades are purchased in gold.

15+ Year Old Account
    Thank god the PTR is testing content meant for an expansion which has a level cap of 85 eh?
    BfA Beta Time

hehe i remember the pre WotLK patch :P arcane mages were unbalanced then but mostly levelled out by the time they reached level cap

10+ Year Old Account
    Also remember this. at 80 your haste/hit/crit percentages are insane. WAY more than what blizz originally intended. You wont be proccing nearly as much at 85. your percentages will be half that, if that, in the first raid tier, so i doubt youll be doing the massive dps increase over others that you are now.

i would like to know what a top Dps spec would resurrect to?

Fire on the PTR feels odd.

Don't get me wrong, it is a fun tree, that works kinda ok with lots of fun talents and good damage, it just feel odd because you have million AoE talents that seems like they sync really well with eachother,however it feels like there is too much in the tree about AoE.

Pyromaniac is a cool idea, however it feels too much of a burden to maintain unless you spam AoE, and if you do spam AoE, you are not getting much of it, as most your AoE spells are instant now. It also feels like something that would be hard to balance encounters with.

Impact, is again another cool idea, however, it is too RNGish imo in order to be properly used with our dots, as our dots are also RNGish (well pyro and ignite are... ish)

There are a lot of utility talents in the fire tree, however you cant really pick them up for raiding because they are head to head with DPS talents.

The thing I liked the most about fire on ptr, was that scorch can be used as main nuke over fireball with no DPS decrease (even a slight gain) because scorch is simply more fun spell then the long boring fireball, and the change to imp scorch and to fire started makes it so mobile and mostly free of mana that is so much fun. I really think that they should give fireball some DoT we should maintain, and make scorch our main nuke, it will kill two birds in one shot- the mana problem we run into , and the long boring cast of fire ball.

The new Combustion is a tricky spell atm, not something you can just shoot when you have it off CD, and a good use of it can deal about 200%-300% more damage then a moderate use. Too bad it is on 2 min CD because for that such a long CD, it still feels a bit underwhelming, not to mention that making it on a shorter CD would make the spec more interesting as you will need to consider using it on a perfect procs vs using it as much as possible.

Overall fire is a working spec, it also fun to play, the tree sync with itself really well, however it seems like the tree has 3 totaly different guide lines(AoE/Single target/Utility-pvp), and it makes it feel really messy.

I still think that I will play fire on my mage when it will be his turn to level up come cata, however I think that they could make the tree much better then it is.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Fire is now the mobile blow-up-the-whole-god-damn-world spec.

Fire mage pvp in cata is going to make everyone jealous

IMO this is exacly how mages should play. The glass canon. You're going to blow something up in seconds, or the mage is going to be blown up in seconds.

IMO, fire plays perfectly. They can tweak the numbers on the damage all they want, but I think they've hit the nail right on the head as far as a fire mage plays. I loved fire in vanilla and BC. Good to see it back again.