NPCScan cache help

So, I recently began running Windows 7 and apparently there's something I'm missing here.

I installed NPCScan + Overlay, but when I delete my cache, it STILL shows the mobs cached ingame and I can't figure out how to reset them. Even reinstalled both addons, and still. Can someone point me in the right direction here?

What you want to delete is this file: World of Warcraft\Cache\WDB\enUS\creaturecache.wdb

But note that an hour or so of standing around Dalaran is likely to cache a few of the 'rare' hunter pets because people tame them and walk around with them, so your client caches them again.

Gershuun @ Borean Tundra US - Interface & Macros Moderator

Yea I realize that, but over time I've popped a few rares in outland, some doing dailies, etc, most of which certainly can't be pets, but just deleting my cache wouldn't reset them. I'll try the above though, thanks.

Wait...didn't you just pretty much tell me to delete my cache?

It might be stored in your documents/user/blizzard/worldofwarcraft/data/cache or something like that also..

That one specific file is the only one you should delete for this addon to work. Yes it's safe to delete. I use NPCScan myself.

The creature cache stores unitID's about mobs you come across in the game. If you delete that file, when you come across them again they are re-cached again.

It's just a database of all the creature's names and IDs so that your client can retain information about them across sessions.

I fully understand what the cache is and that I have to delete it to allow NPCScan to detect the same mobs over again. But the problem is, after deleting my entire cache folder, it STILL shows them ingame as cached and will not search for them again.

And Maskinen, I'm unable to locate any other cache folder to delete. The only other WoW folder only has some temp patches etc in it.

Exit out of WoW first before you do this too. There's nothing else to it, that one file stores the creature cache and deleting it is the only way to do it.

Been there and done that, WoW isn't even open right now.

You gotta be doing something wrong then, there's nothing else to it sorry.

Close WoW.

Open WoW directory > Delete Cache folder.

Start WoW up, log in, Interface > NPCScan > Same mobs are all still cached.

That's EXACTLY how it's working right now.

C:\Users\YOURLOGINHERE\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\World of Warcraft\Data\

or

C:\Users\YOURLOGINHERE\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\World of Warcraft\Data\

if you're 64bit. Either way, if there's a "cache" folder hiding in there, delete it.

These are hidden files, by the way, so you'll need to be able to view hidden to get to them.

It is my understanding that due to UAC if you installed wow into the default program files folder, that there may be another location that the addons, and I would assume the likes of the cache are stored, since wow will not be capable of itself modifying the files within it's own folder.
    I'll try to find that specific information.

Edit:

A forum post relating to addons did specify the following location.

C:\Users\**Username**\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\World of Warcraft\Interface\AddOns

Since I installed in a separate folder to bypass the issues of UAC I cannot confirm that myself, but try in.
    C:\Users\**Username**\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\World of Warcraft

Assuming C is your installation drive, and **Username** is the name of the user you are logged into when you play the game.

Seems someone just beat me to it, and ignore the extra spaces in Program - an odd glitch.
    Last edited by ComputerNerd; 2010-09-24 at 04:07 AM.

That was it!

Thanks for all the help, I had hidden folders shown but still couldn't pinpoint exactly what I was missing. Now that I recall, I think in my old setup before I got Windows 7, I didn't have WoW installed in the default Program Folders but rather in a separate partition. That would explain a lot.

As a side note, there is usually no need to delete the entire cache folder, just the creaturecache. Usually only if you have difficulty logging in, or crashes.
    Deleting the rest will cause the wow client to try and obtain that again, increasing the time to log in, and in many cases to gather information on items when you request it say from tooltips etc.

Windows 7

I had a really hard time finding the file. I have windows 7 and WOW barely had any files or folders in the programs files. But I found what I needed by going through
    C:/Users/Public/Games/World of Warcraft/Cache/WDB/enUS the 'creaturecache' folder was in there....

Hope this helps someone! =)

Deleted
    That's the default WoW install directory on newer OSes. They changed it to avoid issues with the vista/7 program files shenanigans.

i am haveing thsi same issues and i have looked in all the above lopcations i even did a search for world of warcraft and check all the folders/files that came up in that search and deleted any cahce folder i found and yet i am still having this issue. i understand how the addon works and what cache is and everything and i fallowed the instructions evne had friends check it out via livesteam.com and they see me doing nothing wrong.