Thread: Build 13033

Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

Build 13033

Spell Changes
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment

Druid (Forums / 3.3.5 Talent Calculator / Cataclysm Talent Calculator / Beta Skills/Talents)
    Feral

Mage (Forums / 3.3.5 Talent Calculator / Cataclysm Talent Calculator / Beta Skills/Talents)
    Arcane

Fire

Frost
    • Curtain of Frost is now named Ring of Frost and has been revamped - Summons a Ring of Frost, taking 3 sec to coalesce. Enemies entering the fully-formed ring will become frozen for 10 sec. Lasts 12 sec. 10 yd radius. 7% of base mana, 30 yd range, Channeled, 3 min cooldown
    • Ice Lance base damage increased by 20%.
    • Frostbolt base damage increased by 20%.
    • Deep Freeze base damage increased by 20%.
    • Early Frost now reduces the cast time of Frostbolt by 0.35/0.7 secs, up from 0.25/0.5 secs.
    CoF change hurts me, but the druid change makes me happy. /discuss
    BfA Beta Time

10+ Year Old Account
    I never got to shoot a curtian of frost before, lol.. seemed a little OP to me.. last thing you wanna do is try to run through a couple magi, they'll curtian freeze your arse.

on the otherhand, this ring of frost sounds like more of a noob trap, but again.. ive never seen how either of these two spells look in-game.. so take this with a grain of salt.

just felt like giving my 2-cents as a mage.

Hmm Ring of Frost seems kind of bleh now. CoF seemed much stronger but I think we'll just have to see. It seems to me like they're trying to make it less of a pvp tool and more of a pve tool.

The boost to damage changes make me happy though :3

Quote Originally Posted by gunner_recall View Post
    Hmm Ring of Frost seems kind of bleh now. CoF seemed much stronger but I think we'll just have to see. It seems to me like they're trying to make it less of a pvp tool and more of a pve tool.

The boost to damage changes make me happy though :3
    Pretty sure it'll still be pretty sweet in pvp especially with rated battlegrounds. Definitely a sweet spell to drop at choke points or in flag room defense. i can also see limited use in arenas for kiting.

Ok so , i wrote a big wall of text and apparently it didnt get posted ; QQ there.

As far as the changes go im not that pleased with what blizzard does for the mage in Cataclysm from a PvE perspective. Mage will still be incredibly easy to play as fire goes , lets not even mention arcane.
    This thing bothers me a bit , i wish they would implement mechanics for fire mages that are tricky and not so easy to handle so your dps is hand in hand with your skill . Im even more sad-panda that all that i see in mage changes ALMOST , ALMOST always is "Dmg increased to that that that , dmg decreased to that that that"

Ok now , the changes surprise me a bit , actualy my coffe nearly felt on the floor when i saw a base damage increase on absolutly all main damage dealing abilities , i personaly dont know where they want to get with that. From what ive seen and tested on both PTR`s (Cata + Normal) is that mage dps is just fine as it is tbh , we didnt realy need an increase on those abilities but thats just my opinion. Atm on PTR can sustain above 10k dps, ah well lets say between 9k - 10.5k cause it varies a lot on tries , dont know why tho (Full ICC25HC BiS gear without LK 25 HC sword ) on the Thunder Bluff Dummy ( LB doesnt affect more targets there) so ye , inc QQ from all guildies that already think mage is pretty OP and needs revamping

From what ive tested and played mage on cata server i think our playstyle wont modify at all , only on multi target fgihts where you have to keep rolling LB`s to get spell haste. Another interesting thing and the only one i would say will be Combustion that you will need to know when to use to gain most damage from it .

So , to sum it up , im trying to see the direction where mage is going Play-Wise ( From a PvE point of view cause PvP is very interesting i would say ) from a mature point of view not like most of ppl that would just say "OMG YES PEPEWPEW MOAR DMG ololol etc"

PS : at 85 im gonna only duel druids infront of Orgrimar and perma sheep so i can make up for the 5 years of not sheeping them , and as CoF goes im fine with it , it will have its utilities especialy in BGs.

~im gonna come with updates after im gonna test stuff properly , this was just a first impression
    Last edited by ibogdandx; 2010-09-24 at 05:01 AM. Reason: Adding stuff

meh, why did they change CoF?

wonder if they yet again remade the graphic? also not sure if it means it simply roots them, or actually deep freeze stuns them, and slow/damage completely gone?

and 3 min cd makes me sad

OnTopic: The changes looks pretty aweosme, specially the druid one....

OffTopic: Swizzle got banned? When did THAT happens...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bahumut5
    I don't want to call Boubouille and wake her up for something like this.

Will it be possible to sheep someone, and at 1 sec of sheep breaking summon the new CoF, freezing the dude's ass when sheep breaks ?

offtopic @ Choaslux I guess it happened today http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...=1#post8913718

ontopic: Kind of hate the damage increases of course they are nice but would rather see some real changes. (would like to buy a new lvl 85 spell since those damn hunter pets stole our lvl 85 spell)
    And the change to CoF/RoF will mean it will probably not be on my action bar the whole expansion since I don't pvp and it seems to have lost the damage component.
    justicars.blogspot.com All info you need for tanking as a cleric and more
    Cleric tanking: Justicar guide | Justicar spreadsheet and item list
    Defence is as much a part of war as offence, the shield as important a tool as the sword.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaoslux View Post
    OnTopic: The changes looks pretty aweosme, specially the druid one....

OffTopic: Swizzle got banned? When did THAT happens...
    oh yes, yes he did, prob cuz of him asking someone in the other thread if he was an idiot

then again isnt 50% of his posts like that anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by Micke View Post
    oh yes, yes he did, prob cuz of him asking someone in the other thread if he was an idiot

then again isnt 50% of his posts like that anyway?
    He might be acting abit special from time to time..

But without him the mage comunity would'nt have the mage PVE FaQ thread that we have atm.. Probably not even close to it

Quote Originally Posted by ibogdandx View Post
    Ok so , i wrote a big wall of text and apparently it didnt get posted ; QQ there.

As far as the changes go im not that pleased with what blizzard does for the mage in Cataclysm from a PvE perspective. Mage will still be incredibly easy to play as fire goes , lets not even mention arcane.
    This thing bothers me a bit , i wish they would implement mechanics for fire mages that are tricky and not so easy to handle so your dps is hand in hand with your skill . Im even more sad-panda that all that i see in mage changes ALMOST , ALMOST always is "Dmg increased to that that that , dmg decreased to that that that"

Ok now , the changes surprise me a bit , actualy my coffe nearly felt on the floor when i saw a base damage increase on absolutly all main damage dealing abilities , i personaly dont know where they want to get with that. From what ive seen and tested on both PTR`s (Cata + Normal) is that mage dps is just fine as it is tbh , we didnt realy need an increase on those abilities but thats just my opinion. Atm on PTR can sustain above 10k dps, ah well lets say between 9k - 10.5k cause it varies a lot on tries , dont know why tho (Full ICC25HC BiS gear without LK 25 HC sword ) on the Thunder Bluff Dummy ( LB doesnt affect more targets there) so ye , inc QQ from all guildies that already think mage is pretty OP and needs revamping

From what ive tested and played mage on cata server i think our playstyle wont modify at all , only on multi target fgihts where you have to keep rolling LB`s to get spell haste. Another interesting thing and the only one i would say will be Combustion that you will need to know when to use to gain most damage from it .

So , to sum it up , im trying to see the direction where mage is going Play-Wise ( From a PvE point of view cause PvP is very interesting i would say ) from a mature point of view not like most of ppl that would just say "OMG YES PEPEWPEW MOAR DMG ololol etc"

PS : at 85 im gonna only duel druids infront of Orgrimar and perma sheep so i can make up for the 5 years of not sheeping them , and as CoF goes im fine with it , it will have its utilities especialy in BGs.

~im gonna come with updates after im gonna test stuff properly , this was just a first impression

Dps on 80 (and thus PTR) does not matter one single bit. They'll balance things around damage at lvl 85 and not for the small amount of time you run ICC with the new talent trees in 4.0.1-4.0.3
    It's the internet. You never know if people are either sarcastic or just bad.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wizie View Post
    He might be acting abit special from time to time..

But without him the mage comunity would'nt have the mage PVE FaQ thread that we have atm.. Probably not even close to it
    Copy-pasting from elitist jerks isn't exactly hard. Dear lord I hope that ban is permanent, nothing irritiates me more than an asshole who thinks too much about himself, especially when it comes down to things like videogames.

On topic: I don't really like the curtain of frost change. While the spell itself was even overpowered at times, completely rework wasn't needed. What I understand is that you channel an area for 3 seconds. After that, if anyone enters the area they will be frozen (as in frost nova) for 10 seconds. The cast time is fairly long, the cooldown is long, and 10 yards radius isn't exactly that hard to dodge. I hope they will change it more.

And about the druid thing, they are still immune in their forms. They just can't shapeshift out, boub got it wrong there. This is mainly a nerf to resto druids since they can now dispell magic, would be stupid for them to be immune too.

I just got used to the old Curtain of Frost... The "revamped" version sounds like a nerf.

Its funny..i thought CoF couldnt become more useless than it was, blizzard prooved me wrong.
    Why would they give us a ranged version of frost nova with a duration and 3mins cd? Clearly we dont need more utility, we need stuff to add in our rotations but why cant they see that?

I demand swizzle back at least he gave us true mage statments while correcting people. hes alot better than the people giving wrong information all the time, those guys should get bashed

I want my Simon Cowell of the MMO-Champ Mage Forums back!

Back on topic: The best thing about the overhauled Ring of Frost ability is that it frees up a hotkey and a slot on my action bars, and after hitting 81 and picking up Flame Orb, I don't have to feel rushed to hit 83 for a spell I won't use, or 85 for a spell a BM hunter can get at level 56 69 (before even a shaman gets it).

That said, I hope I don't sound too bitter. Thanks to Flame Orb and our amazing talent trees, I'm actually quite psyched about this expansion.
    Last edited by Koumaru; 2010-09-24 at 03:26 PM. Reason: corrected level number

Without a cooldown, ring of frost would have been kind of meh. But for a 3 minute cooldown, it's a joke.

On the other hand mages didn't really need new spells anyhow, and that's probably what blizzard thought for cataclysm too. Give them some crap and raidutility from other classes just so we can say we gave everyone something.

I like new arcane. The way you can sync arcane blast spam with trinkets procs and cooldowns and how you need to be mindful of your evocation cooldown.

Quote Originally Posted by Koumaru View Post
    I want my Simon Cowell of the MMO-Champ Mage Forums back!
    I lol'd irl! So true....we're better off without him.
    Screw the mage tips and opinions, if he can't respect other people.