Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Why do people hate PvP in BG's?

Why do people in BGs get mad whenever someone is not killing a Demo, or capping a flag, or sitting at a base? Now, even though I personally, in AB for instance, go between contested or enemy flags, kill everything on my way there ("Get off the road!"), then go to the flag and kill the guards there and hopefully respawns, I still don't get why people hate others who mostly do road PvP.

Usually the "Ignore the other team and cap flags or kill demos only" is a terrible strat.
    Here is a good example of what I mean. You are a Shadowstep Rogue in SoTA. You queue with your Spriest partner. You are on Defense, both cannons are manned, and a demo starts rolling up with no one on the demos platform. You, your Priest friend, a Warrior, a Mutilate Rogue, and a DK start tunneling the demo. But wait! There is now a Frost Mage behind you and he roots all of you, Sheeps your Priest, and makes your faction unable to hit the Demo. Is it a very good idea to have them all continue to tunnel the demo even though they cannot hit it? NO! You as the Shadowstep Rogue is the lease effective against the Demo for DPS reasons, but the most effective against that Mage, barring your Priest partner but he is extremely effective against the Demo. You break away from the Demo and open on the Mage, forcing his attention on you, which allows your melee train to kill the demo, kill the driver, then help you kill the Mage if you haven't already which allows you to help them with anymore threats preventing them from annihilating a demo.

TL;DR, if something is completely preventing you, as a group, from killing a demo, why is it such a taboo to break one off to deal with the threat, so that your team can kill the demo faster?

Before anyone says otherwise, YES, killing the opposite team may not raise your team's score in AB at all, but if their entire team is dead because someones 5v5 team steamrolled them, you 5 cap, and then you win.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    The problem isn't "road warriors" that make tactical or strategic decisions that benefit the team. The problem is the massive swarm of players that don't understand tactics/strategy, and merrily tunnel-vision along an unsound path. Thing is, there are a lot more of the idiots (if you wish to be unkind; naive if you wish to be more forgiving) than there are the people that know when to "break the rules."

If you're aware of the situation, and are making a tactical decision, go for it - and ignore the hecklers. If you're just going after an HK and ignoring the overall battle... gtfo of my bg.

Killing surrounding players instead of the demolisher takes wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too long to be effective, even if they have zero healers. By the time you're done eliminating that frost mage the demo will have gone through AT LEAST one gate. As brainless as it may sound, tunneling the demolishers IS the best thing you can do 90% of the time as a dpser, though you can and should obviously use stuff like blind on nearby enemies to buy you time.

As for the AB scenario, if your team is losing and you need to get some bases then lolling around killing gnomes on the roads doesn't help you win. You kill them all off, they just respawn at the nearest base and are in your way again. If you're already winning though then the opposite can be true and stopping people on the roads can make sense. The thing that makes me rage in AB is when I see 10+ idiots defending farm when the allies hold every other base, and the allies all zerg the farm as well. Instead of spreading out to take like 2-3 other bases these tools all decide they need the farm for some moronic reason.

If one kills the opposing faction with no benefit to the actual goal of the BG, then people will be mad since they're just wasting time killing others. Though, I'm beginning to start PvP'ing myself because half the times, I'm doing the objectives by myself with odds stacked higher against me. I'm getting tired getting wiped with the WSG flag when my entire team don't help to defend. It's getting annoying when I'm the only person guarding one or more nodes in AB. If they don't want to act together and win this BG, I might as well start PvP'ing for fun.
    My General Gaming Blog *Latest Updated: 9/25/14*

Deleted
    Its always been simple: if people dont want to do battleground objectives they should just go ahead and queue for arenas if mindlessly killing people is what they think its fun. Otherwise GTFO BGs and dont queue. They are just ruining the gameplay experience and fun for those that actually care about winning battlegrounds.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by frag971 View Post
    Its always been simple: if people dont want to do battleground objectives they should just go ahead and queue for arenas if mindlessly killing people is what they think its fun. Otherwise GTFO BGs and dont queue. They are just ruining the gameplay experience and fun for those that actually care about winning battlegrounds.
    Even though I fully agree on that, people are still entitled to play the game they want it. There will be idiots everywhere in life. You cannot escape them!

Quote Originally Posted by Cashten View Post
    Even though I fully agree on that, people are still entitled to play the game they want it. There will be idiots everywhere in life. You cannot escape them!
    Where does this entitlement everyone always touts at 100% valid truth in every argument it's brought up in stop? Their entitlement to play how they want ruins our entitlement to play how we want, so who is more important?

It's the same as people who say hate speech is freedom of speech. It's not, because it encroaches on other people's freedom. People just need to get their head out of their ass and start doing what they're supposed to do in the game. If they que for a bg, they are there to do the bg. If they want to just kill people in a free for all, go start some world pvp, or do some arena skirms.

i dont really hate BGs i just think its not fair to have more than 1 rogue with in 50 yards of another in a pvp situation...oh and hammer of i kicked ur ass needs to go too. other than that? give me a disarm and im golden for any situation.

I think most of the hate comes from people not paying attention and supporting team mates i cant tell you how many time i ran into the keep in AV after saying cmon lets hit this shit and finding my self trying to solo the horde guarding and looking at the map seeing ppl rushing from the GY to mid >.<

I'ma go with because if your not completing a BG objective you're probably losing. Especially on SotA, if you're not killing demos or defending graveyards you are completely worthless and your team benefits in no way from having you on it.

Well based on the BG runs I've been on my ally lock, people don't care about PvP objectives/strats. For example in a couple of SotA runs,let's say on defense, instead of people defending the gates, people are still on the shore trying to kill the horde while the horde is busy blasting the gates in. 'Fuck objectives, I just wanna kill people' is pretty much their strategy. It's not until the yellow gate was destroyed when ppl flocked towards the destroyed gate, but more than likely the horde will have 3-4 demos on the way to the end gate. But hey what can you do with people like that? You can't force a person to fully play by the rules. But I guess that's better than afk right?

...right?

The biggest problem people have in BGs is "why are you killing people?"

Why are you killing people instead of getting flag? Why are you killing people instead of getting/defending nodes? Why are you killing people instead of using/attacking demos? Why are you killing people instead of getting third tower then capping flag? Why are you killing people instead of rushing and capping towers?

It is like playing a team sport and a member of your team does not want to help with winning the match. They are not defending, they are not attacking, they are lost somewhere doing something else. If players from the other team are doing the same, your team should be winning.

Arena is for mindless killing, duels are for mindless fighting. BGs can be HARDER than that because you have objectives AND you get to fight other players.

Quote Originally Posted by kittycuddler View Post
    Where does this entitlement everyone always touts at 100% valid truth in every argument it's brought up in stop? Their entitlement to play how they want ruins our entitlement to play how we want, so who is more important?
    No it doesn't. Just because some dickcheese decided to go diving for pearls in the river instead of helping you win the AB doesn't mean you're any less free to play how you want.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BananaHavock View Post
    I'ma go with because if your not completing a BG objective you're probably losing. Especially on SotA, if you're not killing demos or defending graveyards you are completely worthless and your team benefits in no way from having you on it.
    Well, in some cases, when I try to go after objectives, I end up dead. Not fun to try to turn a game around only to end up spending most of your time in a BG in spirit form in the ressurection queue.
    Enstraynomic - League of Legends
    TheEnst - Starcraft II

i think PvP make the player death

It's because William Wallace isn't there to lead us... we can't do anything right without him.

The OP apparently takes it too literally.

The whole "Get off the raod" "Get on the Demo" thing is said usually because people ONLY do the opposite and fail to help push forward the objectives.

OF FREAKING COURSE you're supposed to kill that frost mage, allowing your team to continue on the Demo. Are you really that dense as to think people want you to ONLY focus on demos in that situation?

Of course dismounting to kill some random road warrior instead of going on to Blacksmith to help your teammates who are embroiled in a serious battle there is a little bit self-serving and not at all helpful to the cause of the battleground now isnt it?

Use common sense dude.... seriously.

Most thing I hate in BGs when we start to lose someone who didn't give a shit about BG objectives write "dude chill out...it's just a game"

It's not that people hate PVP in BGs, it's that most people don't do it right. Examples?

1) People will let a FC run right by them so they can duel in the middle.

2) People will see 1 person being chased then tag along thinking that it takes 5 people to kill a Shaman in greens.

3) Twinks who would much rather chase down and gib noobs then focus on objectives.

4) Most people have no sense of strategy. They have "Internet Tough-Guy Syndrome" and when they're needed to help take back SH bunker, they think "nu uh! u ken knot tel me wut 2 do!1" and do something random and asinine.