Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Building a new GAMING computer

Hey lads! For some time now I have been thinking about ditching my old HP desktop for a new custom made computer. It will be used for gaming mostly (WOW, COD MW2, Battlefield BC2, Crysis etc) and ofc the usual internet surfing, downloading etc. May also use it to make som WOW vids.

Well, these are the parts I've come up with so far:

Case: Fractal Design Define R3 Black Pearl

Motherboard: Asus P6X58D-E

GPU: 2 x MSI GeForce GTX 460 Hawk

CPU: Intel Core i7 950

RAM: OCZ DDR3 PC3-12800 Platinum 6 GB (3 x 2 GB

PSU: Corsair HX 750W

HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1 TB

CD/DVD Writer: Samsung SH-S223C

I might add an SSD hdd at a later time for extra OS/Game speed.

So, what do you think of the setup? How well do u reckon it will run WOW as well as most other games out there?

All hints and tips are appreciated :-)

15+ Year Old Account
    Just a tip if your gonna built a gaming comp buy the best stuff there is too get or dont built one at all.
    - Vanilla was legitimately bad; we just didn't know any better at the time - SirCowDog

Well what parts do u reckon i should get? I'm not gonna spend one million on a new PC.

Quote Originally Posted by Endonyx View Post
    Just a tip if your gonna built a gaming comp buy the best stuff there is too get or dont built one at all.
    Stop trolling and giving bad advice. You don't have to buy the "best" of everything. Do you plan on overclocking that CPU?

To be honest I don't know much about overclocking. It's shipped at 3.06 GHz, maybe it's possible to OC to 4? I have no idea tbh. Do I need to OC?

You don't _HAVE_ to OC, but it sure does increase your FPS in raid situations (Marrowgar's BONESTOOOOOORM for example).
    Quote Originally Posted by Irony View Post
    I have a black belt in common sense compared to your white.

An i7 is wasted on the vast majority of current software.

An i5 quad core benchmarks just as well in games and has a much lower cost of ownership (processor + board).

If you are planning on doing some things that are highly multi threaded then the i7 will shine.

Video is a Palit GTS450. Main display is a 24" full HD TV. Secondary display is an ACER 19" lcd at 1440x900.

I understand, thanks for input. But if i go with the parts i listed, what kind of fps do u think I will be getting in a raid situation with everything maxed?

Quote Originally Posted by joeyc View Post
    I understand, thanks for input. But if i go with the parts i listed, what kind of fps do u think I will be getting in a raid situation with everything maxed?
    During Marrowgar's bonestorm I would estimate around 35-40 fps. Generally if there isn't huge AoE stuff goin' on, should be around 50-60fps.

PS: Please don't hang me if the numbers are wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Irony View Post
    I have a black belt in common sense compared to your white.

Basically you should forget i5's. If you want Intel, i7 950 is the right choice cause the price was cut in half or, if you want AMD, Phenom II X6 1055T is the choice at the moment.

@OP: I would take one GTX480 or HD5970 rather than an SLI or a CrossFire setup. Other than that, your build looks awesome. It will run any current game with all maxed graphics with high fps.
    Last edited by Impurath; 2010-10-01 at 05:17 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Impurath View Post
    Basically you should forget i5's. If you want Intel, i7 950 is the right choice cause the price was cut in half or, if you want AMD, Phenom II X6 1055T is the choice at the moment.

@OP: I would take one GTX480 or HD5970 rather than an SLI or a CrossFire setup. Other than that, your build looks awesome. It will run any current game with all maxed graphics with high fps.
    Any of the Phenom II x6's is a horrible choice. They're outperformed in gaming by their own x4's. If you're doing video editing, then yes, get an x6. For gaming, the x4's are stronger.

For Intels, i5's are far from dead. An i5 760 (2.8GHz) is $90 less than an i7 950 (3.06GHz). If you clock them the same, you'll appreciate no noticeable difference in the vast majority of games.

Any of the Phenom II x6's is a horrible choice. They're outperformed in gaming by their own x4's.
    That's true when running with stock clocks. I've overclocked my 1055T though And I also got a bit discount for that so there wasn't much difference in price compared to X4 955.
    Last edited by Impurath; 2010-10-01 at 07:04 PM.

That's true when running with stock clocks. I've overclocked my 1055T though
    Explain in detail how the extra cores are helping you in a gaming scenario. Also explain why you chose x6 over x4 for a gaming rig.

15+ Year Old Account
    That's true when running with stock clocks. I've overclocked my 1055T though And I also got a bit discount for that so there wasn't much difference in price compared to X4 955.
    Ok, so you're talking an overclocked 1055T vs a stock clock x4 955? What happens to that comparison once the x4 is overclocked? Also, if we're bringing overclocking into the mix, you might as well forget AMD all together.

Ok you beat me. I will now go cry in a corner.

Quote Originally Posted by Cilraaz View Post
    Ok, so you're talking an overclocked 1055T vs a stock clock x4 955? What happens to that comparison once the x4 is overclocked? Also, if we're bringing overclocking into the mix, you might as well forget AMD all together.
    This is not true, in terms of gaming overclocks, the phenoms can perform phenomenally(hehehehe) if cooled very well. They can work at incredibly low temperatures that the i5s and i7s can't. The phenoms also are generally more durable and can take higher voltage better. This of course... would probably require some very nice cooling.

Quote Originally Posted by Communist_Llama View Post
    This is not true, in terms of gaming overclocks, the phenoms can perform phenomenally(hehehehe) if cooled very well. They can work at incredibly low temperatures that the i5s and i7s can't. The phenoms also are generally more durable and can take higher voltage better. This of course... would probably require some very nice cooling.
    i7's would grind AMD to dust in pure overclocking performance.

Anyway, not everyone wants to overlock, in fact most don't, I know I won't overclock my next PC. Just because I CBA with the hassle, I used to be a geek but now I just see it as boring and nerdy. You don't need those few FPS that knowing how to do it provides, and to do it properly, stress test it, and build a system around it? PAH I feel like a geek enough just putting one together. Let the regular people just buy a PC that they can put together out of the box - or even just take out of a box.

Tell him what he can get that requires him not learning anything new - that will run most games at 40+ frames at his resolution, and will run WoW for all intents and purposes. People always got to go down some beaten track and begin comparing and rationalising their own scenarios.

To the OP, I can tell you if your resolution is < 1920x1200, don't bother with SLI 460's, just get one 480, or 5870. If you have 1920x1200 get the dual 460's, aim for a GLH version from... Gigabyte I think, or the SSC FTW edition from EVGA. Both of those are overclocked out of the box and come with warranty - which your own overclock if you ever did one would void.

Get the i7 board because if you want to upgrade in the future that one will be better for it. i7 950 is a good choice too, affordable as well.

Good choice of ram.

PSU - good wattage, just make certain to get modular PSU, it makes cabling a lot easier and will give your case better airflow. Cable management is not a priority but trust me with the airflow - my a900 case is killed by my overkill 1010w gamexstream that is not modular, so I have a clump of unused cabling attracting dust.

How do I reckon it will run WoW? max settings no problem, 4xAA atleast. Other games? All max, 1920x1200 no problem except Crysis - will run Crysis with about 25-30 fps 1920x1200 very high (enthusiast on warhead). I assume you are running 1920x1200 because of the SLI, if not - as I said, get a single 480 or 5870.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lugo Moll View Post
    Consider this philosophical question: If Blizz fails, but noone is there to see it. Will there still be QQ?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Communist_Llama View Post
    An i5 or i7 will destroy a Phenom II x4 or x6 when both are on maximum overclocks. An i5/i7 will perform hotter, but they're also built to sustain a higher temperature (typically mid-70s for i5/i7 and low 60s for AMD chips). Finally, one of the main goals of overclocking should always be maximum clock on minimum voltage, so AMDs taking higher voltage doesn't really mean much.

Quote Originally Posted by Sackman View Post
    You don't need those few FPS that knowing how to do it provides
    Overclocking my i5 was approximately a 40-60% framerate gain, depending on area and what's going on around me. Not really a minimal increase.

If you are totally set on running SLI I suggest going with the larger Core i7 processor just because of the fact that the 2 PCI-E channels are X16 on the chipset instead of X8 for 2 slots on the Core i5. If you wanted to overclock the i5 then I'd suggest just a regular single card solution that is better than 2 460s.

If you went with the Core i5 you would want to get dual channel kits of memory instead of triple channel on the Core i7.

Also your case selection looks pretty decent but I'd probably suggest the Corsair 800D over it. They are very similar but the Corsair seems better built to me.

to OP

if you have the money for that build, then buy it

it will eat all the games you give it the next two years without any problems

and to all of you saying he should get one gtx 480 insted of two gtx 460....... NO
    the two gtx 460 in SLI will eat the gtx 480. just go check the benchmarks. just remember to get the 1 GB version

one 5970 cards is just nor worth the money over two gtx 460 in SLI.

to voltage-pc
    it is right that the first p55 boards was raunning 16x on one pci-E channel and 8x on the other pci-E channels. but the new p55 boards are running 16x on both pci-E

im running 8x/8x on my board, but test done by guru3d shows that it is only a 5% lose over 16x/16x and in some games you can`t even see a deference
    the same goes for dual channel over trible channel RAM. thats why the p55 platforme is still better for gaming because of price and performence. but the x58 is more future proof
    Last edited by pansertjald; 2010-10-03 at 06:23 AM.
    AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 C30 : PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 GRE Hellhound OC: CORSAIR HX850i: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: fiio e10k: lian-li pc-o11 dynamic XL: