Graphics Card Help plz..

Ok, so right know in Live my graphics card cant even display shadows, so when cata comes out i wont be able to see like anything. what is the minimum(cheapest) graphics card requirement so i can see the new water and detail and shadows in Cataclysm?
    Thanks in advance.

Budgetwise, it is my understanding you will be looking at the lower end of the ATI 5000 range for a DX11 card.
    Maybe the 5550 upwards.
    Though if your CPU is not upto it, then the GPU won't resolve that.
    What is the rest of your computer like.

You could probably pick up some surplus 8000 or 7000 series card from Nvidia for ~$70. They're both over three years old but will still work fine. A lot WoW's graphics are based on CPU/RAM.

GTX 460. Best bang for buck right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Vigilate View Post
    You could probably pick up some surplus 8000 or 7000 series card from Nvidia for ~$70. They're both over three years old but will still work fine. A lot WoW's graphics are based on CPU/RAM.
    They may work fine, but if you want to use the new effects then you will need a directx 11 card, which those are not.
    Either a recent Nvidia (think 400 range), or an ATI 5k range.

What do you currently have, does your computer have a PCIE slot? If not you'll need a new motherboard and chances a new cpu before you can upgrade. How old is your computer?

10+ Year Old Account
    What does all those words mean? "GTX 460", "ATI 5000", "DX11"? And do you know any good site you could learn these stuff?
    Vol'jin fanboy

yea dude...tech knowledge

Those numbers are mostly the models of the graphics cards, of which two brands are currently the only ones worth worrying about.
    Nvidia produce the 400 series cards, such as the 460.
    ATI produce the 5000 series cards, such as the 5550 etc.
    The relative sizes of the numbers from one brand to another mean nothing, since it is just their numbering systems.
    DirectX 11 (DX11) is a set of hardware and emulated if need be software instructions and capabilities that will be supported by graphics cards.
    Effectively a set of instructions detailing what a graphics card is capable of drawing.
    DX11 is the most recent implementation, and therefore to utilise certain effects, which in this case WoW uses particularly for the Ultra level liquid effects then you will need a card with the hardware support.

I am not aware of any specific sites which may offer advice on that, and I tend to get it from experience either from browsing and reading, sometimes from the posters in the computer sub-forum on this site.
    Last edited by ComputerNerd; 2010-10-04 at 01:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Canbie View Post
    GTX 460. Best bang for buck right now.
    QFT. lets hope OP has a PCI express slot

Also I currently have a 9800gtx which I will be keeping for cata, you can pick one up used for 90 bucks but its a bit large

If your computer is truly ancient, it's possible that you won't be able to use any DX11 card, as they all require PCI Express (the type of slot the card plugs into). If your motherboard supports AGP (possible) or original PCI (unlikely), you're screwed. The latest cards also sometimes require a recent power supply and their own plug.

If you have no idea what any of this means, take your whole computer to Best Buy. Tell them that you want a DirectX 11 card, and they will figure out whether your system can support it and what you need if it doesn't. It could be expensive overall, but don't let them convince you that you need a graphics card that costs more than $200 to run WoW full out (if you have the computer to go with it, that is).

10+ Year Old Account
    IMO - The best New graphics card u can get which is AWESOME value and Really quite powerful is the Nvidia GTX460 1GB. I just got one upgrading from a ATi 4890 1GB.

Its Very overlockable, and if you get one of the ones with a aftermarket cooler like the gigabyte or msi ones - they're wonderfully Cool running AND quiet!

I play wow on at 23in 1080p LCD and I have wow running with the graphics on Ultra and 8x AA and i get awesome framerate. I will admit i usually turn the shadows Off or down to the lower settings to boost the fps.

But even still - its a Epic card. I would recommend it to Anyone.

I'm also curious about my graphics card as well. I have a NVIDIA GeForce 9800M GS 512MB. I'm not sure if that's good or not. I feel like it's having heat issues. Can anyone recommend some tips for keeping the temperature from spiking too high?

Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    They may work fine, but if you want to use the new effects then you will need a directx 11 card, which those are not.
    Either a recent Nvidia (think 400 range), or an ATI 5k range.
    You don't need DX11 or a DX11 card for the effects.

That beign said, telling someone to get a DX11 card without telling them first they would require Vista with sp2/Windows 7 or even inquiring to their current operating system is silly. It is also silly not to ask their current gpu, their current psu, their current mainboard, their cpu and hell their memory! What if they are using an fx5500 with a 3200+ amd athlon and 1gb of ddr1 ram on a 200w psu?

Advising them to go out and buy a 4xx or 5xxx nV/ATI card is ridiculously asinine. No offence :P Tell him to go to the correct board and assist him with a bit more attention.

---------- Post added 2010-10-04 at 02:33 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Straton View Post
    I'm also curious about my graphics card as well. I have a NVIDIA GeForce 9800M GS 512MB. I'm not sure if that's good or not. I feel like it's having heat issues. Can anyone recommend some tips for keeping the temperature from spiking too high?
    See if you can get yourself a laptop cooling kit, something that straps around the laptop and increaes airflow with extra fans and such. Don't cover the fan bays currently on the laptop. Have a cold room, and don't have it on for long periods of time.
    Last edited by Sackman; 2010-10-04 at 01:33 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lugo Moll View Post
    Consider this philosophical question: If Blizz fails, but noone is there to see it. Will there still be QQ?