Thread: Chat Throttling

Chat Throttling

Eeek! I've been following the beta forums like a zealot and I just saw a very troubling post. Apparently blizz is now throttling trade and general chats.

Trade I can very easily see. Of course we don't need endless anal and thunderfury and elemental mage staff spam.

general is another matter. General chat is supposed to be an open forum for people in the zone to talk about pretty much anything. Without general we wouldn't have Barrens chat, we wouldn't be able to easily inform nublets in the starting zones, and we wouldn't be able to carry on three or four different interesting multi-person conversations in a zone.

How the throttling works is simple and ingenious: 3 messages per 15 seconds (when I checked, you know how things change and fluctuate like crazy).

Please mmo community, what do you think of this startling change to our ability to interact with others?

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/th...=2000&pageNo=1

^ Up there's the link to the official forum thread.

10+ Year Old Account
    How is General any different from Trade in that respect? If people couldn't spam Trade, they'd spam General instead.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is one of the best moves Blizz has made yet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tayfow View Post
    Without general we wouldn't have Barrens chat, we wouldn't be able to easily inform nublets in the starting zones, and we wouldn't be able to carry on three or four different interesting multi-person conversations in a zone.
    I'm pretty sure using Barrens chat as your example was the worst possible chat to prove throttling is a bad idea.

The stars sweep chill currents that make men shiver in the dark...

Want it now?! here you go!

http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-a...mthrottle.aspx

couldn't live without it. (well, without /leave 2)
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    If [the dps] are on the wrong target, then they are playing badly and should be corrected and / or mocked, depending on how you roll.

If you need more than 1 message every 5 seconds, you are either spamming a really long macro or

you're
    typing
    this
    and
    spamming
    trade
    chat

I can see where this might be problematic, but at the same time a lot of people can change their habits to leaving longer messages instead of short multiple line spams.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by thatbezoguy View Post
    I second that notion.

Quote Originally Posted by thatbezoguy View Post

^ Yes!!!!!! OMG, this is very sound, wonderful news! Hopefully they will start implementing more 3 hour bans and such. Will teach the numbnutted little brats to stop cluttering up the game with the BS, that's what Vent/Voice chat is for: annoy people who put up with your SH*T!
    Quote Originally Posted by Komie View Post
    They still say Cata needs a lot of work, and this expansion (edit for reference: MoP) is in the final stages.
    Quoted for... truth? on 11/30/2011.

That's gonna
    suck for people
    like my brother
    who for some annoying reason
    like to write like
    t
    h
    i
    s

Otherwise I love it, I'm sick of entering trade and then people spamming their LF blah blah 5 - 10 times consecutively, while several others do it.

Deleted
    Finally.

About time. I dreaded the day Trade Chat went global. I was right.
    SUPPORT W.O.L.F.! (WORGEN-OPTIONS LIBERATION FRONT)

Chat-throttling is an excellent idea, and one that I have personally suggested a couple of times in their suggestion forum. Glad to see it implemented.

Even in a throttled chat-channel you can answer questions, you can keep up a conversation, but you CAN'T spam prewritten /s-macros spamming your LFM or guildadvertisments. Goldspammers can't fill 3pages of chat-scroll with their stupid raid icon grafitti.

You can have a say, and then you get to >Gasp< wait and get a chance to read what others have to say before you can keep talking...

15 seconds isn't really world shattering. But it DOES break up spam a bit.

I can type very fast, but even I can't get 3 coherent sentences out in 15 seconds.

Maybe you should cut back on the abbreviations, yo.

a very good change indeed.
    simple but brillant

I love blizzard for this change. So fucking tired of reporting all the image macro shit and other such spam.