Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

4.0.1 Shadow: What gear do I pick up?

One thing I have been thinking about is what gear should I pick up to compensate for loss of 6% hit from talents?
    I have mostly PreHLK/Halion BiS or the 264 equivalent and I have some ideas on things I can pick up to remain hit capped. Ofc I would like to do it few pieces as possible.

Keep in mind that I only need 16% seeing as I am a draenei. I have weekly access to 11/12 HM gear.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...ane&cn=Thrayne

Most of that 6% may already be covered, thanks to Spirit being on your gear (go go former 60.5% spellpower conversion).
    Last edited by Kelesti; 2010-10-04 at 02:42 PM. Reason: old info
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

10+ Year Old Account
    Forgot about that, I might be covered with the few spirit pieces I have.

15+ Year Old Account
    i have over 19% hit from my wrathful mooncloth main set on ptr

10+ Year Old Account
    Per some quick napkin math, I have 22% in the gear I am in. I will actually need to drop some hit/spirit go go reforging!

Quote Originally Posted by Thrayne View Post
    Keep in mind that I only need 16% seeing as I am a draenei. I have weekly access to 11/12 HM gear.http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...ane&cn=Thrayne
    thought they were gonna drop the heroic presence aura to even things up for everyone in terms of hit gearing.

With Full BiS gear and gemming EVERY blue socket with sp/spi you come very close to the cap.
    You will need to change 2-3 Sp/Spi to 20 Spi gems.

If u don't have BiS, 2 pieces of gear with spirit on them will rough;y bring you up the hit you require.

when i logged the PTR i was pretty much bang on the mark with hit, wearing mostly BiS gear with some 264 equivalents, hit shouldnt be to much of a hassle with the loss of the hit talents

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sacrypheyes View Post
    thought they were gonna drop the heroic presence aura to even things up for everyone in terms of hit gearing.
    They are dropping the aura, but you still get the %1 if you are draenei. So you only buff yourself, not others anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrubble View Post
    With Full BiS gear and gemming EVERY blue socket with sp/spi you come very close to the cap.
    You will need to change 2-3 Sp/Spi to 20 Spi gems.

If u don't have BiS, 2 pieces of gear with spirit on them will rough;y bring you up the hit you require.
    Well one I have H Bonespike and the Heroic Nightmare Ender (which isn't BiS but has a bit of spirit) as well as a big of spirit from some hybrid gems and enchants.

I have 355 Spirit on my gear total.

I think you're confusing spirit on gear from spirit you have with nothing else on. You only have 171 spirit from gear/gems/enchants, according to your armory link. I think the talent will only convert equipped spirit, not pre-existing spirit. Although I'd love to be wrong, 'cause I'll have to get more hit gear myself.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Solfire View Post
    I think you're confusing spirit on gear from spirit you have with nothing else on. You only have 171 spirit from gear/gems/enchants, according to your armory link. I think the talent will only convert equipped spirit, not pre-existing spirit. Although I'd love to be wrong, 'cause I'll have to get more hit gear myself.
    Nope you're not wrong, the talent says buffs and gear which add spirit

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Solfire View Post
    I didn't calculate the spirit buff but my toal spirit base + gear, enchants gems etc. I dont' see why it wouldn't count it is spirit that you have.

Base spirit isn't converted to hit rating, so only the green number when you mouse over spirit counts.
    On the PTR I have 422 hit rating (16.xx%), which is my current 285 hit rating + 137 spirit from gear and gems. If all spirit was converted I would have 608 hit rating, which is way over the cap.

What I want to know is, will shadowpriests and holy priests be rolling on the same gear? Or will shadowpriests want to get other "dps" pieces too, perhaps because they're getting more crit/haste instead of spirit, and then if it has hit too then they can reforge that for a little boost.

You'll be rolling on 'some' of the same gear. Shadow will merely only need spirit gear up to the hit cap. You can wear hit gear if you so choose, but most likely mages and warlocks will get priority for it, since they can't convert spirit to hit. For spirit/haste gear you'll compete only with healing priests. For hit/haste gear, you'll have to compete with mages and warlocks.

In combat, spirit and hit are identical. The only benefit spirit gives is out of combat regen and ease of being able to swap to a healing spec. If you're a raiding shadowpriest, if under hit cap, I'd probably choose whichever stat (hit or spirit) that is paired with haste if possible.

Come 4.01 there will be no buffs that increase spirit, so you don't have to worry about gearing around buffs.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmorgrim View Post
    You'll be rolling on 'some' of the same gear. Shadow will merely only need spirit gear up to the hit cap. You can wear hit gear if you so choose, but most likely mages and warlocks will get priority for it, since they can't convert spirit to hit. For spirit/haste gear you'll compete only with healing priests. For hit/haste gear, you'll have to compete with mages and warlocks.
    What you say works in an ideal world, and for guilds. As soon as you pug, though, expect to see jerk warlock/mage/priest people who will roll on any item they see. When called out on it, i.e. mage rolling on spirit gear, you'll simply get a reply along the lines of, "i can reforge lawlz, umadbro??//??"

Pugs are generally a lawless realm, I was speaking more on what to expect when loot drops/rolls are regulated, or when you pug along 'good' players. Plus, the new guild perk system will pretty much encourage guildies to run together.

So if you're the type of player that would actually say "i can reforge lawlz, umadbro??//??" ... you probably won't be in a guild for long.

The flipside of spirit gear and reforging and whatnot is that you might actually see guilds giving it to a warlock/mage or whatever, simply because it could be more useful for them than the priest. It all depends on how a guild decides to set it up.

But granted, it does seem that spirit cloth = priest and hit cloth = warlock/mage.

Edit: Meh, I forgot about the % conversion rates when reforging gear. So the chances of the lock or mage wanting spirit gear really does go down, save for idiots who want to roll on any item they see.
    Last edited by Tustavus; 2010-10-06 at 09:04 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    You can reforge Stats? I thought only ratings could be reforged

Quote Originally Posted by Thrayne View Post
    You can reforge Stats? I thought only ratings could be reforged
    Spirit isn't counted as a "Base" stat anymore. Even though it's not green, it's counted as if it was Hit/Crit/Haste/Mastery. So while you can't reforge Intellect in any way shape or form, you can drop Spirit to be something else, and vice versa.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~