Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    Deleted

New Tree of Life model

For the ones that don't read the endless spam that is General Discussions, someone posted the new Tree of Life model that turned up in the new patch:

Keep in mind that it is only the model, the textures were added by the person that made the video to avoid having to look at a plain white model. Obviously the animations are still the Orc Male ones. So it's very much a Work In Progress. I'm curious how it will turn out.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm curious, too. If the model makes it, I'll have to get used to the idea of trees with legs.
    But seriously, why does Blizzard do something like this after making the Tree of Life form non-permanent? Is it to make it feel even more exclusive?
    I don't really get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rovayn View Post
    I'm curious, too. If the model makes it, I'll have to get used to the idea of trees with legs.
    But seriously, why does Blizzard do something like this after making the Tree of Life form non-permanent? Is it to make it feel even more exclusive?
    I don't really get it.
    Guess they want it to look more like the tree of life from wc3.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

That dud look like a tiki.

Could have been Troll Tree form, if not Blizzard had made Tree of Life form non-permanent

15+ Year Old Account
    I hate the model (not looking on the textures, since they will be changed). The size of everything makes him look like a killer, not a healer.

Oh yea, new tree form for druids, old ugly sitting shoulders for female humans.

Deleted
    Well, they did think about making a minor glyph that made the cosmetics of the Tree of Life permanent. What I hope they do if they ever implement that glyph is to show the current ent type model, and show this new model when you activate the cooldown ability, so there is a difference in looks to give other people a clear visual you've activated it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rovayn View Post
    I don't really get it.
    Look at it as an Ancient, not just tree. http://www.wowwiki.com/Ancient
    And it needed a model update. Hopefully Moonkin, Travel, Flight (Just colors), and Aqua will get revamped aswell.

Like I said in the previous thread...I absolutely hate it. I know the textures aren't the real deal so far but still, the model itself is horrible imo. A few things that I loved about the current ToL form was that it was gender neutral, this new model looks very masculine. The current model also had some of the most awesome animations in game, which I just can't see them translate to this new model. Lastly, the new model is really, really scary!

Quote Originally Posted by dubbelbasse View Post
    A few things that I loved about the current ToL form was that it was gender neutral, this new model looks very masculine.
    Agreed, but maybe we'll get a lady-tree one day, something more willow-like perhaps.

Quote Originally Posted by dubbelbasse View Post
    Like I said in the previous thread...I absolutely hate it. I know the textures aren't the real deal so far but still, the model itself is horrible imo. A few things that I loved about the current ToL form was that it was gender neutral, this new model looks very masculine. The current model also had some of the most awesome animations in game, which I just can't see them translate to this new model. Lastly, the new model is really, really scary!
    never thought of the gender thing...i dun wanna see sexy NE turn into....THAT

Quote Originally Posted by Redcrow View Post
    sexy NE

wat

15+ Year Old Account
    lol when i saw this topic i thoguh it an other guy trying to fool ppl but maybe it is actauly tru lol

but yeh atm it looks crap but whit blizzard shading & texture it might still look decent
    TREE DURID IS 4 PEE

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    it just realy bothers me that is it the orc model...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanfastic View Post
    Look at it as an Ancient, not just tree. http://www.wowwiki.com/Ancient
    And it needed a model update. Hopefully Moonkin, Travel, Flight (Just colors), and Aqua will get revamped aswell.
    Well, I know about Ancients, I just don't think it matches a player. But you're probably right, the Tree of Life really needs a model update.
    But now that you're suggesting Moonkin, I'm scared. I'd like a new model for my Boomkin (even though that'd probably make all those puns impossible),
    but it'd have to be really, really great. Travel and Aqua are two updates I'd be looking forward to and the flight form ... well, it's okay and, being a Burning Crusade model, probably won't be updated too soon.
    Last edited by synaeris; 2010-10-07 at 09:32 AM.

Deleted
    It's a completely new model, nothing to do with the orc model, it just uses the same animations. And quite possibly that is temporary until they implement the real animations. The Female Worgen used the Female Dreanei animations for a while until their own animations were finished.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Appel View Post
    it just realy bothers me that is it the orc model...
    It isn't the orc model. A lot of people don't seem to understand how 3-d modeling works.

Yes, it's using the Orc's animations.
    No, that doesn't mean it's using the Orc's exact 3d skeleton.
    Yes, that is a custom model.
    Yes, they most likely used the orc model as a reference for size and structure.

You can apply animations to skeletons that don't exactly match as long as they have something in common (Legs/arms/a head) Issues with doing that usually cause bad clipping/weird moving parts on the model (Female Worgen comes to mind).

Obviously, it'll be much better when they are done animating, but calling this a orc re-skin couldn't be further from the truth since it is only the animation on the skeleton (it's a placeholder animation)
    "Questions are for those seeking answers. Those who have answers are those who have asked questions." -Mike R. (Malthurius)

Deleted
    Anyone got a screenshot or a link to what the current model looks like on the beta/ptr?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by stevos View Post
    Anyone got a screenshot or a link to what the current model looks like on the beta/ptr?
    http://wowgrrl.com/wp-content/upload...ee-250x300.jpg
    Was that hard?

It´s the same old model but they got the tree on CD now with spells that are different in that form.

Deleted
    Current model used on ptr (and beta i think) is current tree model, just with a time limit.