Thread: WoW In Japan?

Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

WoW In Japan?

After the recent failure of FFXIV and the intense hate the japanese community has for the game and the fact FFXI is not keeping their interest as strongly anymore, there has been a huge migration to the Blackrock Server Horde side, though many are holding off till Cataclysm to play(for obvious reasons)

And they are loving the game. And they seem to really like the idea of Cataclysm as a whole, many of them ready to shell out money for the expansion.

I have been spending a fair amount of time on their forums explaining to them how each class works and answering questions(they want me to explain everything in a FFXI analogy *sigh*), they have even made several patches that put a large portion of the quest text and normal command lines in japanese.

With this growing interest in the game, do you believe Blizzard will consider developing a japanese version of the game?

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm sure they're paying attention and keeping a close eye on the moves and successes/failures of other MMOs out there. If they deem it worthwhile to invest in Japan they will no doubt do so, not like they don't have the resources. That's what I would say at least.
    "The truth, my goal."

15+ Year Old Account
    i hope they do develop for Japan, they deserve to get in on the WoW action!

Quote Originally Posted by Tuvok View Post
    I'm sure they're paying attention and keeping a close eye on the moves and successes/failures of other MMOs out there. If they deem it worthwhile to invest in Japan they will no doubt do so, not like they don't have the resources. That's what I would say at least.
    This, for sure.

It may be not enough yet, but if it becomes a lil' more significant, they sure will.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's not even like it would cost them that much resources to support a Japanese version.

Servers are easy, they just rent those, like they do for all other regions.

Then all they have to do is translate the work they're already doing anyway into Japanese. Their current 'translator' team has like 40 people for the current supported versions. Hire a few extra people to do the translations and they're pretty much done.

They'd of course need a gm team and stuff, but none of that is hard to achieve.

10+ Year Old Account
    I hope they don't lol. I don't want to corrupt that country with WoW!

10+ Year Old Account
    Fighting alongside Turalyon and Alleria against the Burning Legion
    Blizzards cautious approach with Japan and Korean MMO markets is quite right. Im still suprised they never tried to tackle it head on but then again Koreans and Japanese would probably rolling around laughing if they were told they didnt have to grind to gain levels. Still maybe now is a good time for Blizzard to throw WoW in there, thanks to Squenix stupendous failure with FFXIV.
    Participator in the Great 'Real ID Forum Change' Riot July 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by Divaet View Post
    I love being self-richeous..
    Quote Originally Posted by DailyBlink View Post
    Malygos flips out and creates a mana blackhole. Mages no longer use Mana, instead having a new resource called 'Derp'.

Quote Originally Posted by Texar View Post
    Blizzards cautious approach with Japan and Korean MMO markets is quite right. Im still suprised they never tried to tackle it head on but then again Koreans and Japanese would probably rolling around laughing if they were told they didnt have to grind to gain levels. Still maybe now is a good time for Blizzard to throw WoW in there, thanks to Squenix stupendous failure with FFXIV.
    Wow is already quite popular in Korea. But yeah they should release it in Japan.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hmm, is it possible to play WoW in Japan atm? with English clients? and if so, is it with the us client?

Thinking about working in Japan and being able to play wow on my spare time would be great!

TNX for any info on this matter! /Cheers^^
    I'm a stranger, I'm a changer.
    And I'm danger... maybe...

http://youtu.be/dNEtnyAm6S4

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Texar View Post
    Korea has WoW. Chinese have even been playing wrath on Korean servers.

Quote Originally Posted by Clockworks View Post
    Hmm, is it possible to play WoW in Japan atm? with English clients? and if so, is it with the us client?

Thinking about working in Japan and being able to play wow on my spare time would be great!

It's possible with both clients, the only problem will be latency. Luckily from what I've heard good internet connections are quite cheap over there. And of course time-zone differences.

Deleted
    Pokemon>wow, in japan.

Yep. A person in my guild is stationed in Japan and plays with us on US servers

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Seronei View Post
    It's possible with both clients, the only problem will be latency. Luckily from what I've heard good internet connections are quite cheap over there. And of course time-zone differences.
    Cool, now the question is...if i go for a US client, can i still ad BN friends from EU for example?
    I'm a stranger, I'm a changer.
    And I'm danger... maybe...

http://youtu.be/dNEtnyAm6S4

I've always assumed there was WoW service in Japan, but that it just wasn't popular. As a(n ex-) long time FFXI player, it seems that WoW isn't really inline with the masochistic play style JPs seem to enjoy. Barring high end arena and bleeding edge raid content, WoW is too easy for the Japanese.

No, let's not give them another way to profit off selling gold.. keep WoW away from Japan

Deleted
    Cool, now the question is...if i go for a US client, can i still ad BN friends from EU for example?
    From what I know, it isn't possible to add US Bnet ID's to a Europese server or vice versa.

Quote Originally Posted by msdos View Post
    i hope they do develop for Japan, they deserve to get in on the WoW action!
    I'm going off topic here but I just have to say that your avatar brought back bad memories from a certain movie... get out of my head!

There is no way the japanese will ever think WoW was even one percent as terrible as I thought FFXIV was. I'd hope they get wow soon

Deleted
    Is there a PC gamer-community in Japan large enough to make it worthwhile for Blizzard? That's what I've been asking myself for a long time.