Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Best hunter pet/spec in cata.

So, folks tell me what would be the best spec in cataclysm for a hunter. Im looking for pet wise, pvp wise, and some pve wise. Thanks in advance.

10+ Year Old Account
    cant help you much on this but on ptr my lvl 75 survival hunter (hes in quest blues/greens) does 1800dps single target and the survival tree has quality aoe with that talent that causes your multi shot to drop serpent sting on all the targets too. you get good burst for pvp too with the lock and load talent and i think explosive shot's dot ticks will stack so you can spam when it procs (read it somewhere but i cant confirm). also you should be survival coz its just awsome
    Everyone is guilty.

What happens if Pinocchio says : "My nose will grow"...?

10+ Year Old Account
    Think it's like this BM>MM>survival

Quote Originally Posted by Silverwish View Post
    i think explosive shot's dot ticks will stack so you can spam when it procs (read it somewhere but i cant confirm)p
    I can confirm that this is not how it works on beta

I think 10 man guilds will be after a bm hunter because as they said different pet giving different buffs so they can use whatever needed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Antillar View Post
    I can confirm that this is not how it works on beta
    aww that would have been cool...what is the top pve tree right now? just out of interest
    Everyone is guilty.

What happens if Pinocchio says : "My nose will grow"...?

Deleted
    I think it's sad that just when Blizzard is making an effort to make all pets desirable, and not just cat(past)/wolf(present)/Devilsaur(BM(?)) or subpar dps, that you still have people asking in advance even, what the "best" pet is... Your best pet will depend on your raid composition, your own spec (BM or not) and/or the utility you desire.

As for your hunter's spec, ideally that also should be a choice, but from what I've read Survival was rather overpowered with it's elemental damage mastery, and Marksman was falling behind the other two... But that info could be outdated by now.

Personally I've grown to like the mechanics of Survival - the lock and load procs mostly -, though with the new talents and Cobra Shot Beast Mastery could become interesting again.

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstrider View Post
    though with the new talents and Cobra Shot Beast Mastery could become interesting again.
    I think your info is out of date. Pretty sure Cobra Shot is now considered something that will benefit Survival more than other specs these days- They've no longer got any talents in the BM tree to improve it, and Survivals mastery bonus is about increasing elemental damage.

Deleted
    I know that there aren't any talents improving Cobra Shot in the Beast Mastery tree, but seeing as that it's Nature damage will ignore armor and it will extend Serpent Sting, plus the fact that Beast Mastery doesn't seem to have talents improving Steady Shot either, wouldn't Cobra Shot still be preferable?

The only thing against it seems to be that there aren't any glyphs affecting Cobra Shot yet, but there is one making Steady Shot 10% better, but that could change.

Deleted
    for pve its always bm :P
    and as blizzard have said allready surv is ahead at dps from other specs

also
    at 80 u cant measure dps since its like at wotlk ,see wt dps u have at 70 and say that spec will have more dps than others at lvl80

but like Bradwarden said bm will do good work for 10man raids
    since u can get 1 more buff for the raid that otherwise u couldnt have it
    Last edited by mmoc8818141f39; 2010-10-11 at 02:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaedan View Post
    I think your info is out of date. Pretty sure Cobra Shot is now considered something that will benefit Survival more than other specs these days- They've no longer got any talents in the BM tree to improve it, and Survivals mastery bonus is about increasing elemental damage.
    Agreed. I don't know much about theorycrafting here, but my guess is that BM hunters might stick to Steady Shot most of the time in Cataclysm, seeing how you can get Improved Steady Shot maxed at 85, and Cobra shot is not the signature shot of BM as first intended anyway.
    Or will they use Cobra shot in PVE since it's elemental damage that could possibly negate armor values? I don't know..

From everything I've seen so far, based on Hunter BLOGS and some other testing, this looks like the breakdown to me:

Soloing/Leveling: MM -> BM -> SV (Buffed Pets are nice for leveling and soloing multiple adds, but MM has the best burst DPS of all the builds. SV just isn't as useful for this stuff, but it's not terrible either.)

5-mans: MM -> SV -> BM (No question, MM is going to be preferred here. You'll spank mobs fast and your pet will be used more just for the party buffs)

Raiding: MM = SV -> BM (This one is tough to judge. SV might be better for the raid as a whole, but MM might actually be preferred for better single-target DPSing. Your damage output in MM might be too godd to pass up for the raid-buffage though. A lot is going to depend on the Raid themselves and what bosses will require to defeat easier.)

PvP: MM = BM -> SV: (I think in terms of PVP, MM and BM are now equal and SV just doesn't pan out. MM gives you lots of solid burst DPS and BM gives you a really pesky pet for your opponents to deal with. They can't just ignore your pet anymore because the pets will have some good abilities that could get them killed.)

These are just my observations though. Feel free to do your own testing. All in all, Marmsman Spec is going to be the all-around most used for just about all situaitons.

Quote Originally Posted by Netherscourge View Post
    From everything I've seen so far, based on Hunter BLOGS and some other testing, this looks like the breakdown to me:

Soloing/Leveling: MM -> BM -> SV (Buffed Pets are nice for leveling and soloing multiple adds, but MM has the best burst DPS of all the builds. SV just isn't as useful for this stuff, but it's not terrible either.)

5-mans: MM -> SV -> BM (No question, MM is going to be preferred here. You'll spank mobs fast and your pet will be used more just for the party buffs)

Raiding: MM = SV -> BM (This one is tough to judge. SV might be better for the raid as a whole, but MM might actually be preferred for better single-target DPSing. Your damage output in MM might be too godd to pass up for the raid-buffage though. A lot is going to depend on the Raid themselves and what bosses will require to defeat easier.)

PvP: MM = BM -> SV: (I think in terms of PVP, MM and BM are now equal and SV just doesn't pan out. MM gives you lots of solid burst DPS and BM gives you a really pesky pet for your opponents to deal with. They can't just ignore your pet anymore because the pets will have some good abilities that could get them killed.)

These are just my observations though. Feel free to do your own testing. All in all, Marmsman Spec is going to be the all-around most used for just about all situaitons.
    Dude no offense but your information is flat out completely wrong.

First of all Beast Mastery Pets are LESS of an issue in 4.0 wow than they are now. They do significantly less damage for one, and what buffs they give are few and far between. For the most part pets are the same, they're just significantly less a percentage of your damage and some of them give a few key raid buffs.

Marksman is currently terrible. Survival is okay, but Beast Mastery is all around king for PVE and especially PVP.

The first thing you wanna do when you update to the patch on Tuesday is go make this your spec. And tame a corehound.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky Mclachlan View Post
    Dude no offense but your information is flat out completely wrong.

First of all Beast Mastery Pets are LESS of an issue in 4.0 wow than they are now. They do significantly less damage for one, and what buffs they give are few and far between. For the most part pets are the same, they're just significantly less a percentage of your damage and some of them give a few key raid buffs.

Marksman is currently terrible. Survival is okay, but Beast Mastery is all around king for PVE and especially PVP.

The first thing you wanna do when you update to the patch on Tuesday is go make this your spec. And tame a corehound.
    I think for that spec I'd prefer Spirit Bond over CT,HC just to make it easier on your healer and not having downtime on your dps IF you plan to use deterrence

The Lightbringer eternalwhitemoon's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    As far as pets go, after extensive testing I discovered that the devilsaur is no longer the "best" PVE pet for BM. Since their Monstrous Bite is now Mortal Strike instead, they've lost their beefiness a bit. They're still great, don't get me wrong, but I actually found the agi/str buff provided by a cat or spirit beast to come out ahead (test dummy scenario, no other buffs). Of course, this would depend entirely on your raid composition, as if you have the agi/str buff from another source, the +crit would become more useful (as would about a billion other buffs).
    I really feel like with the way they structured it there's no longer going to be a "best pet". This pleases me greatly.

10+ Year Old Account
    I kinda hope the stables are going to be monstrously big so I can have a pet for each buff and just take out the most needed missing buff. (don't know if they are actually making stables that fking huge)

The Lightbringer eternalwhitemoon's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zu View Post
    I kinda hope the stables are going to be monstrously big so I can have a pet for each buff and just take out the most needed missing buff. (don't know if they are actually making stables that fking huge)
    They are, and it will arrive in PTR. 20 slots total I believe? You'll definitely have room for all your buffpets. Further, the second the patch lands I'm going to go play World of Pokemoncraft and tame every single pet I always wanted but never had the stable slot for.

The only thing is, you can only have up to 5 to swap out on-the-fly. The rest you have to actually visit a stablemaster for. (The ones in the "true stable" lose their talents, which kinda sucks but it only takes a minute to respec them.)
    Last edited by eternalwhitemoon; 2010-10-11 at 04:26 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well thats not bad, if your in a guild you can have 5 out for "busy/untrustable" raid members that might not show on raid days

Quote Originally Posted by eternalwhitemoon View Post
    They are, and it will arrive in PTR. 20 slots total I believe? You'll definitely have room for all your buffpets. Further, the second the patch lands I'm going to go play World of Pokemoncraft and tame every single pet I always wanted but never had the stable slot for.

The only thing is, you can only have up to 5 to swap out on-the-fly. The rest you have to actually visit a stablemaster for. (The ones in the "true stable" lose their talents, which kinda sucks but it only takes a minute to respec them.)
    Ditto. I'm so glad I never got rid of my Ghost Hydra/Pet Slime from that Oracles daily quest bug. The annoying part is now going to be trying to tame Loque'nahak and the like after the patch...

Quote Originally Posted by Netherscourge View Post
    Soloing/Leveling: MM -> BM -> SV (Buffed Pets are nice for leveling and soloing multiple adds, but MM has the best burst DPS of all the builds.)
    BM still moves faster, solos packs and elites better, chain-kills faster (send the pet after mob #2 while still looting mob #1), and can tame anything you happen to find on the way from 80-85.