Inquisition for tanking

Just curious as to how exactly Inquisition is going to be used for AoE tanking. I understand that it increases holy damage, but it also requires holy power to use; does this mean that dps are really going to have to wait for us to stack up holy power before they do anything? Our 2 big AoE abilities, consecration and holy wrath, are on long-ish CDs, obviously both of these would benefit greatly from Inquisition, but to maintain any aggro, even from the healers, we'll have to use both of these on the pull, before we have our HP for Inquisition, making inquisition really only benefit HoR, at least until the CDs are up. Am I missing anything, or is this design intentional?

HotR also causes holy damage. But you're right, it does seem a bit awkward to me, unless there are AoE fights that will be lasting longer than 30 seconds or so.

Maybe we're supposed to take a hint from the rogues, who for quite a while have been opening with a 1 combo point slice and dice. That is... run into the AoE pack, hit HotR for some holy power, hit Inquisition, then Holy Wrath, Consecrate, get back to HotR, etc.
    Last edited by belfpala; 2010-10-10 at 06:25 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Inquisition will be better used by tanks then DPS just because you will do a larger amount of Holy damage but Prot definitely needs another way to gain Holy Power your almost to limited as to how quick you can gain HP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    Can you imagine if someone insulted you in a thread, you reported it, and I told you "sorry, wrong thread to be butthurt"?

Here's something I can't believe I haven't tested... How long does our holy power last between fights? That is, if I end a fight with three holy power, how long do I keep it?

Maybe we're supposed to stock up at the end of fights so we can get a good start on the next one. lol.

Edit: Or maybe we just need a HP generating ability on a medium cooldown, similar to what warriors and druids have for getting some rage before a pull.
    Last edited by belfpala; 2010-10-10 at 07:02 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    Here's something I can't believe I haven't tested... How long does our holy power last between fights? That is, if I end a fight with three holy power, how long do I keep it?

Maybe we're supposed to stock up at the end of fights so we can get a good start on the next one. lol.
    HP decays at a rate of 1 per 10 seconds when OOC.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    Can you imagine if someone insulted you in a thread, you reported it, and I told you "sorry, wrong thread to be butthurt"?

holy power on beta seems to last i think 15 seconds (1 charge goes away every 15)
    and when im tanking the instances u guys are right i found it bestt to do 1 HP inquistion then Consecration ,holy wrath

I would rather SoR a target taking more damage then cast Inquisition tanking because the duration is only 12 seconds.

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    HotR also causes holy damage. But you're right, it does seem a bit awkward to me, unless there are AoE fights that will be lasting longer than 30 seconds or so.

Maybe we're supposed to take a hint from the rogues, who for quite a while have been opening with a 1 combo point slice and dice. That is... run into the AoE pack, hit HotR for some holy power, hit Inquisition, then Holy Wrath, Consecrate, get back to HotR, etc.
    Inq last 4seconds with 1 HP. Thats enough time for two moves. It basically means snap AoE threat is next to impossible. And actually is impossible at the start of a fight.

EJL

Quote Originally Posted by Talen View Post
    Inq last 4seconds with 1 HP. Thats enough time for two moves. It basically means snap AoE threat is next to impossible. And actually is impossible at the start of a fight.

EJL
    Yeah, I keep thinking as a ret paladin with the 150% duration bonus to Inq. Hmm. Seems like the ability needs work for both specs.

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, I keep thinking as a ret paladin with the 150% duration bonus to Inq. Hmm. Seems like the ability needs work for both specs.

Ironically, both Zealotry and Inq seem more intended for use by Ret.

Personally, I'm thinking Inq would be better off aimed at HOLY while Zealotry (minus the 3 HP requirement) would be better suited for Prot.

EJL
    Last edited by Talen; 2010-10-10 at 08:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Talen View Post
    Ironically, boith Zelaotyr and Inq seem more intended for sue by Ret.

Personally, I'm thinking Inq would be better off aimed at HOLY while Zealotry (minus the 3 HP requirement) would be better suited for Prot.

EJL
    Inquisition as a healing bonus seems like a better idea. Then Holy paladins choose... do I need to instantly heal someone now, do I want a healing bonus for the next x seconds, or do I want to save my HP for later? The main difference being that ret and prot can't afford to save their HP if they want to do DPS or threat.

Zealotry for prot is also a good idea. Ret paladins already have lots of HP sources and our Mastery actually somewhat conflicts with Zealotry. But if Prot had it, they could pop the cooldown when they need snap aggro. Seems like a better playstyle to me.

Perhaps a talent for Prot to make inquisition cost 0 HP when cast out of combat on a 1 or 2 min cd, so we can put it up prior to pulling AoE packs.

Well from my own experience, in an AoE situation we start with AS, Judge, HotR, Inquisition, HW, Concecration, HotR.

The idea is to use Inquisition at the start of the fight with 1 HP to boost HW and Concecration, which will be our burst AoE a few secs after the pull. And also we have HS up very soon.
    After that the best i came out with, is to keep using it with 3 HP until u have 2 targets, after that SotR is better.