Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Threat Increase Removed from Mind Spike

But I think the new "penalty" kills its use in PvP! No more instant cast critical mind blasts with a 4 second root D:

"Mind Spike no longer causes a high amount of threat. Now extinguishes your shadow damage-over-time effects from the target in the process. Range increased from 35 to 40 yards."

What do you think?
    Last edited by Searsha; 2010-10-13 at 01:17 AM.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Lets you spam it on easy kill trash,but keeps it out of the rotation on bosses...which is what Blizzard wants. Fine with me.

Deleted
    it was on the verge of becoming OP/used in normal rotation, which wasn't the design intent. i believe they added threat to remove it from normal rotation but then realised it wasn't enough so made it remove dots, which made the threat no longer needed.

it's back to it's original design plan, use it on something about to die 'very' soon.

No more use for it in PvP, but at least we can use it on trash now!

I think this change is much more profound than you'd think. It would be ridiculous if you could line up all your dots, which is already enormous pressure, and then NUKENUKENUKENUKECRITMINDBLAST on top of the dots. If you want to nuke in pvp you're gonna lose the sustained dot pressure, which is a VERY well designed idea imo.

Deleted
    It also means we get back to the old boring woltk gameplay with the only difference being using sw;death everytime is up :/ *sigh* At least they buffed Evangelism.

I wonder if it now will be the thing to spam during archangel or if the normal rotation will be better.
    I like fat chickens and I don't know why; Charbroiled on a spit, or fried; When a Boom walks in with a big fat waist; Stripped down and ready to baste; You get HUNGry; Hope the meat ain't tough; Cause you noticed that the bird is stuffed; Deep in the pan he's stewin; I'm hooked and I can't stop droolin; Oh Baby, I wanna get with ya; And fix you fo dinna; Weight Watchers is just starvin; But that butt you got; Was made for carvin...!

Quote Originally Posted by Lysdexic View Post
    I think this change is much more profound than you'd think. It would be ridiculous if you could line up all your dots, which is already enormous pressure, and then NUKENUKENUKENUKECRITMINDBLAST on top of the dots. If you want to nuke in pvp you're gonna lose the sustained dot pressure, which is a VERY well designed idea imo.
    Think of it this way.

One of the original intents for the spell was to shore up our vulnerability to school lockout, give us something we could cast with a melee in our face.

But if casting it removes all our dots, we can't cast it in the very PvP situation we were intended to use it for - trying to outdps a melee that's right on top of us.

When fighting a melee, you'll fear, load up dots, try to kite, and when he gets back on you you're in the exact same situation you were in if it were still 3.3.

I think this solution for Spike - while it should be praised for its uniqueness, creativity, and the very effort of it - is not the right one.

Everything else is gravy, though; especially the 100% Evangelism Flay ticks, that kicks ass !

Curious,

But would Mindspike dispelling vampiric touch do the damage it would do if it was dispelled by another player?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Veralas View Post
    Curious,

But would Mindspike dispelling vampiric touch do the damage it would do if it was dispelled by another player?
    Didn't they change it so you and others around get feared if you dispel VT instead of the damage? Still, its a valid question although would seem a bit OP if it did.

This also allows us to use Mindspike like Ghostcrawler implied at one point:
    Use Dark Arch Angel and spam the hell out of Mindspike.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaesebrezen View Post
    No more use for it in PvP, but at least we can use it on trash now!
    You won't use ur only spell that can't be interupted,is spam and consumes shadow orbs and when 3hits=crit=stun...?
    Personally i can't find the point of dots if that can exist :P

Actually that gives a gamestyle in my mind.
    Dot all targets around.Pick the damned healer.mf (evangelism+dark archangel),3ms/mb-stun-3ms/mb-stun-silence-mf(proc some orbs)-ms/sw:d.

Easy and clean.Via multidotind u will have supply of orbs.You push many targets.The target you want to die...it dies.Also if we can dot up,and use spamspike...well...is a little bit too much.Doesn't require skill/strategy.We would be like a destro lock + the dots of an affliction lock.
    If it would go live,ok,they will nerf the hell out of us afterward.

They don't want us to just mindless spam it.They want us to use it for the kill,and mindflay takes the place of the procer and actually is not a huge cast (2,1 sec in my 800haste in ptr)and mb is like a spam cc 4 sec stun in a 6,5 sec cd.
    Another missing point.Mb isn't affected of Sw:P anymore (%dmg).So as mf cooperates with dots, ms cooperates with mb.It is like chain.
    Also we must be happy.locks have 2 different trees...1 dots/1 nukes.We have one that can change playstyle to be both,situational.

If a melee is on you as annesh points:
    better dot/fear/mf/Ps/mf/huge Mb number with full orbs.You miss something.When start running our new dot shadow appartition procs.It hits like pain&VT combined.Devo spam on top of that,devo insta hits like mf tick.
    I meen, what the hell.We never had such solutions in our head.Now we have many.
    Last edited by mmoc1861945c2b; 2010-10-13 at 05:11 AM.

Deleted
    A much more elegant solution for Mindspike. I like it.

Deleted
    'Major Glyph of Mind Spike' incoming: 'Your Mind Spike no longer extinguishes damage over time effects from your target, but causes high amount of threat'.

I doubt Blizzard will let PvPer cry about how bad Mind Spike is in Arena.

I like everything that adds more depth to spriest gameplay. I'm also positive that they (what i've read - no beta club) have succeeded in doing so. This change to Mind Spike is also one of those things.

Deleted
    How does this add depth to gameplay? All it does is it limits your choices. For pve I don't really mind, it's still good for nuking adds that die fast. For pvp it's terrible. You now have nothing worth casting in shadowform if shadow school gets locked and the target is dotted. One of the design goals for Mind Spike was to be the spell to cast when locked out of shadow.

First of, in a teamplay scenario, you can now use Mind Spike to remove dots on a target who you want gouged, repentanced etc. You can go for a 3x MS MB to start cc-chain with Paralysis(bad example).

The point being, when abilities aren't boring in ways like: "Mind Spike is a shadowfrost spell. Deals 1000 damage", but have DEPTH in them, for instance the dot removal, it adds depth.

When you have to decide what to do, this gives you more to think of.

Ps. "Who the fuxxx dotted up that target? Remove them please!"
    PPSPSPS. Also, when your shadowschool is locked, there's no scenario where healing would benefit you, right?
    Last edited by Pahus; 2010-10-13 at 09:02 AM.

Deleted
    shit guys, i think the change is completely terrible.
    wanted to play spriest again in arena and liked the way it has been gone before.
    now this.
    terrible!

Quote Originally Posted by Harb View Post
    'Major Glyph of Mind Spike' incoming: 'Your Mind Spike no longer extinguishes damage over time effects from your target, but causes high amount of threat'.
    With this addition, Spike would be perfect!

Everyone, grab your picket signs and sack lunches, we're off to make it happen!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Harb View Post

I doubt Blizzard will let PvPer cry about how bad Mind Spike is in Arena.
    Um no because basically they would be back to what they had tried to deal with - getting it out of rotation, with this glyph they would be back to version nr1 - increased threat, no dot removal.

No chance.