Graphics Card Help

I have a Sony Vaio VGC-RA710G and I'm fairly sure I know exactly where the graphics card is. Problem is I can't simply just remove it. Not sure if its screwed in or what but I need some help to remove and change the card, since this one is pretty dated and broken.

Thanks

Deleted
    I'm pretty sure you cant replace things like Graphics cards in Laptops.....aside the fact that finding a card to replace it with is like.....near impossible. AFAIK anyway....

15+ Year Old Account
    what card did you buy to replace it? Your computer is an agp slot (as far as i can tell), it's not really worth replacing and any upgrade you do will be pretty minimal

edit: @halatosis - vaio's arent all laptops...google is your friend.
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

Its not a laptop, its a desktop. But I haven't bought a card yet. And finally the card is a nvidia GeForce FX5200 but the reason I think its broken is because each time I try to play WoW, after a some minutes playing (it varies) the screen freezes and then goes to rainbow.

Quote Originally Posted by Pheonix325 View Post
    Its not a laptop, its a desktop. But I haven't bought a card yet. And finally the card is a nvidia GeForce FX5200 but the reason I think its broken is because each time I try to play WoW, after a some minutes playing (it varies) the screen freezes and then goes to rainbow.
    Smells more like overheating than being completely broken. Fan working on the card? Tried dusting it?

Anyway, about pulling the card out. There is one screw holding it in place on the computer's backplate you need to take off, that shouldn't be too hard to find. Another thing on AGP slot is often a small piece of plastic which is slided into a groove on the card itself or a small latch you just pull with fingernail away from the card. The plastic lock is located at the opposite end of the AGP slot from the back of the computer, and in most cases is under the card and pretty hard to reach. Try feeling around the AGP slot and the bottom of the card from the processor's side if you can't see it right.

Here's an example picture of what you're looking for (the small white piece on the purple card slot)

Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

I found that all, thanks, I dusted it and all so hopefully it will be working now.

But while I'm here, if I were to buy a laptop and still want to play WoW at a good speed and graphics. What would be a good laptop, within $1000?
    Last edited by Pheonix325; 2010-10-14 at 11:09 PM.

If you want good gaming laptop, Toshiba Qosmio series looks nice at that price point. Here's one example from newegg for $1500, or another with slightly weaker graphics card for $1450.

Both have i7-740QM CPU, 4GB of RAM, 500GB HDD, 18" monitor with 1680x945 resolution, Blu-Ray reader and claim over 3h battery life. More expensive one comes with Nvidia's 460M and cheaper with 360M graphics chip. If you don't want BluRay reader, you can get $100 cheaper model instead.

I'm not saying that one of those would be the best possible gaming laptop available, just linking something I think is reasonable high end gaming laptop for $1500 you can use happily next three years. Your favourite manufacturer probably has similar setups with similar pricetags.
    Last edited by vesseblah; 2010-10-14 at 11:16 PM.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

vesseblah what Asus Republic of Gamers laptop would you recommend that has similar settings?

Also would you go with Asus over Toshiba? or Toshiba over Asus? I know the 1 Year accidental damage warranty is nice and 2 year warranty is also nice included free on the republic of gamers laptops. While I"d have to buy it on the Toshiba ones which makes the price tag more $$$.

Asus G73Jw is closest to those two Toshibas I linked before. Similar pricetag with almost same components.

This linked Asus has slightly smaller but higher quality screen and no BluRay drive, all other components are basically the same. Depending on warranty I'd probably take Asus because it has slightly better screen if you're looking at numbers only. Would probably want to try out both first to see how it feels to use (keyboard, touchpad, hinges of the screen, squeaky plastic bits).
    Trolling should be.